Jump to content

Who should our next HC be?


Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

 

Oh, I see what you're saying. I thought you meant the shoe company dictates who the coach is. In that situation, it sounds like the coach dictated the shoe deal. So, would he want to do that if he came to Nebraska? I don't know. Does it even really matter? I think as long as you're with one of the big 3, you're good. Don't really care which one. I mean, it's not like he'd be bringing in Keds or Hush Puppy or something :D I have always been curious how much pull those shoe companies really have.

Yeah, Deion's UA deal is different, in that he was with UA as paid-promoter before going to Jackson State, thus he had Jackson switch to UA when he got there.  I would imagine his UA deal helps keep his own salary at Jackson State down.

 

Athletic shoe and apparel deals are usually with the schools, and they are usually for pretty big $.  Nebraska is currently in the middle of an 11-year, $128 million deal with Adidas.  Under Armour recently defaulted on their contract with UCLA, due to financial troubles, and other than Notre Dame, UA isn't giving out big $ to schools right now.  It will be interesting how NIL with individual players impact recruiting, as shoe companies now can sign high school and college players to deals.  Nike recently signed 5 high school and college basketball players (including Bronny James and another kid still in high school) to endorsement deals, so I would imagine those kids will go to Nike schools, if they do end up going to college.

Link to comment

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

Pretty sure they didn't finish Top 15 in the 5-6 year that got him fired.

 

Also, didn't exactly light the recruiting world on fire while at Mississippi State.

 

For someone who supposedly didn't care for recruiting, he did pretty darn well at Florida. Also, the post I replied to specifically mentioned Florida fans' complaints, not MS State.

 

Link to comment
8 hours ago, Gage County said:

Coaching can't overcome recruiting. You can't win with bad players. You got to have good players to win. At the end of the day, you're playing P5 football. It's not like the kids who give the most effort and the least talented kid's going to win. Who wins on Saturday is who has the most men but also the most talent. You need talent to win.


Good coaching can’t overcome lack of talent. Really both are necessary. 
 

The previous regime did pretty well recruiting. They weren’t particularly good s developing. Some areas better than others. And in often cases couldn’t retain the talent.

 

A successful head coach will have assistants and support staff that can identify and develop talent. The staff assembled is integral to his building the program. 

Link to comment
21 hours ago, BoNeyard said:

This year his Baylor team hasn't lived up to his previous success, but he won a conference championship last year with Baylor. He's a very good coach who is current. But you could substitute Aranda's name with Chris Petersen's. 

 

Bill Callahan went to a Super Bowl and Larry Coker won a natty in their first years as head coaches after inheriting quality teams. Aranda did have an impressive first year but year-two he's probably doing no better than .500. Aranda is obviously a top-notch DC but as a HC I wouldn't say he's proven just yet. Wonder if we take Aranda does Grimes come along or get the Baylor HC job? That's Aranda's best guy. 

 

Would rather have the previous Baylor coach but I see Rhule enjoying his insane buyout and waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along. 

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Danimal said:

 

Bill Callahan went to a Super Bowl and Larry Coker won a natty in their first years as head coaches after inheriting quality teams. Aranda did have an impressive first year but year-two he's probably doing no better than .500. Aranda is obviously a top-notch DC but as a HC I wouldn't say he's proven just yet. Wonder if we take Aranda does Grimes come along or get the Baylor HC job? That's Aranda's best guy. 

 

Would rather have the previous Baylor coach but I see Rhule enjoying his insane buyout and waiting for the perfect opportunity to come along. 

Soooo,  Urban Meyer then.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

I'm sure I've said this in this thread before but I don't get why Dave Clawson's name doesn't come-up WAY WAY more. Wake Forest is a small college with G5-level stadium and facilities, building a winning program there is tough. We can at-minimum double his salary and staffing-budget. He should be one of our top targets. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
20 hours ago, Mavric said:

 

Depends on the level of winning you're talking about.  If they were only expected to win enough to be ranked in the teens, then they were winning commensurate with their recruiting.  But they out-performed their recruiting on the field, then started getting recruits commensurate with their on-field performance.

 

Although I will note that the three examples you gave are all in the SEC, which happens to be very close to a ton a highly-rated recruits and has the reputation of being the best conference in college football.  I'd be curious what your examples are of schools who came from outside the Top 25 in other conferences to be Top 10-caliber teams and look at how their recruiting lined up.

 

Well, the level I'm talking about is championship level. I used Alabama and Georgia because they both started stacking up top 15 talent before winning the championships. And I included Tennessee because they're hot right now and they've been stacking up some pretty impressive classes despite not having really won much up to this point. Not really sure the conference has anything to do with it, but if you don't want to include SEC teams, that's fine. Here are the last 3 national champions from outside the SEC with their average recruiting rankings the three years before winning the national championship...

 

2013 Florida State - 5

2014 Ohio State - 4

2016 - Clemson - 13

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I'm sure I've said this in this thread before but I don't get why Dave Clawson's name doesn't come-up WAY WAY more. Wake Forest is a small college with G5-level stadium and facilities, building a winning program there is tough. We can at-minimum double his salary and staffing-budget. He should be one of our top targets. 

 

It's probably that whole "1-2 good years and the rest is pretty average" thing. He's got a 53% overall winning percentage...not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Link to comment
8 hours ago, husker009 said:

Hopefully Leipold and Campbell are crossed off the list. Kansas was mightily overrated and they looked bad against a terrible Oklahoma team, giving up 701 yards of offense. Oklahoma could have scored 70 if not for their three turnovers. Campbell is 0-4 in conference play and is terrible in close games, so that should disqualify him too. 

I am losing interest on Campbell. I'm not counting out Lance just yet though. That Kansas program was absolute dogcrap before he arrived. One bad defensive performance is not going to get me to say he's a bad coach. He still has them at 5-2 (that other loss being a very close one to a very good TCU team).

Link to comment

Look at Heupel.  Every year at UCF, they got worse.  He had 3 years of HC experience, and that's it.

 

Fans can sit around and throw names out of the next hot coach, but, it's a crap shoot and many times, fans have no clue what coach is going to be successful and which one isn't.

 

What would fans have looked at with him that would have put him on any of these lists if we were looking at him while at UCF?

  • Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
Link to comment

44 minutes ago, M.A. said:


Good coaching can’t overcome lack of talent. Really both are necessary. 
 

The previous regime did pretty well recruiting. They weren’t particularly good s developing. Some areas better than others. And in often cases couldn’t retain the talent.

 

A successful head coach will have assistants and support staff that can identify and develop talent. The staff assembled is integral to his building the program. 

staff, really important.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Tennessee's recruiting rankings from 2019 - 2021.  13,11,22

Nebraska's recruiting rankings from 2019 - 2021. 17,20,20

 

Not quite as good, but close.

 

 

Nebraska's rankings are killed by the lack of retention with those classes.  I know Tennessee has had guys leave, as well, but NU's rankings are deceptive because of transfers out. 

  • Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

 

It's probably that whole "1-2 good years and the rest is pretty average" thing. He's got a 53% overall winning percentage...not exactly lighting the world on fire.

 

He built a conference champ at Bowling Green then after inheriting a garbage team at a VERY tough place to win at he's managed to build a winner at Wake Forest. You don't win in football at Wake unless you're a quality coach. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
36 minutes ago, Danimal said:

 

He built a conference champ at Bowling Green then after inheriting a garbage team at a VERY tough place to win at he's managed to build a winner at Wake Forest. You don't win in football at Wake unless you're a quality coach. 

Facts. He changed cultures at every stop and Wake Forest is doing good things. There have been far worse candidates mentioned on this board for sure. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...