Who should our next HC be?

49 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nebraska's rankings are killed by the lack of retention with those classes.  I know Tennessee has had guys leave, as well, but NU's rankings are deceptive because of transfers out. 

I know.  The reason I listed those is to show that we can get players here.  The right coach and staff can get them to stay.

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I know.  The reason I listed those is to show that we can get players here.  The right coach and staff can get them to stay.

Fair point.  I also think that coaches targeting the right players (even if they are rated lower) so those players will stay at NU and develop is as important as getting them onto campus in the first place.  With the ease of transfers now, it makes it harder for guys who come to Lincoln from far away, where it's a culture shock, or the first experience of cold weather, or just general homesickness.  That's why I don't think it's as easy to say "get a guy who can recruit from all over the country and everything else will be fine".

Honestly, that's one solid reason to keep Mickey as head coach, because he can go into high schools or meet with transfers from the south, and say "Hey, I went from Louisiana to Lincoln.  Yes, it's a different experience than back home, but I loved my time in Nebraska, and I will do my best for you to love your time there, too."

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

Facts. He changed cultures at every stop and Wake Forest is doing good things. There have been far worse candidates mentioned on this board for sure. 

Culture change is honestly our biggest need. Right now, we have a program that is simply a losing program, and there's no way that isn't in the minds of the players. That's just reality, you can have talent and skill but when you lose a bunch, it doesn't matter, you will feel extra weight on your shoulders. Obviously nowhere close to the same situation but when I played in hs (I was talentless, let's get that out of the way) we missed playoffs for the first time in over a decade my senior year and I can tell you it just clings to you when you're losing, it puts you in a mental rut.

There's clearly talented players at Nebraska (Palmer, Grant, Thompson, etc.) They are giving their all. But until someone comes in and actually brings that winning mentality, you can only do so much.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I watched that interview last night, and yes he’s doing some great things down at Jackson. It will be interesting if he gets any looks from Power 5 schools. Unfortunately, Deion would be a terrible cultural fit with the State of Nebraska, and that’s not a knock on Deion. 

I don't know...guy who mows the grass at the school himself and has an old-school approach to coaching with an emphasis on hard work seems like a good cultural fit to me :dunno

• TBH 1

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I don't know...guy who mows the grass at the school himself and has an old-school approach to coaching with an emphasis on hard work seems like a good cultural fit to me :dunno

Yeah, I know Deion does those things and he also has an "old-school approach".  But, given his race and his history as a player, and the fact he demands to be called "Coach Prime" doesn't exactly make me think he will be welcomed with open arms by a huge chunk of the state.

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

He built a conference champ at Bowling Green then after inheriting a garbage team at a VERY tough place to win at he's managed to build a winner at Wake Forest. You don't win in football at Wake unless you're a quality coach. 

Yeah, no I wasn't saying I don't like him for that reason, just speculating as to why he's not talked about more here. Honestly, it's probably just because he's not very close to Nebraska. Joe blow fans tend to focus on what is comfortable/known/nearby/familiar, hence all the talk about Campbell and Leipold.

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

He built a conference champ at Bowling Green then after inheriting a garbage team at a VERY tough place to win at he's managed to build a winner at Wake Forest. You don't win in football at Wake unless you're a quality coach. 

Yeah but look how long it took. It wasn't til Year 8 at Wake that they had a breakout season. I don't think Nebraska has that much patience. 

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I don’t know why he wouldn’t be a cultural fit. The cultural fit we have had for 20 years hasn’t worked  either. What do people want? I swear people just love misery lol. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, huskerpower22 said:

I don’t know why he wouldn’t be a cultural fit. The cultural fit we have had for 20 years hasn’t worked  either. What do people want? I swear people just love misery lol. 

Let me also preface that I like other candidates I deem more qualified over Deion, but a cultural fit is a weak argument to not want him here. I guarantee the kids would love him. 

• TBH 1
2 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

The cultural fit isn't a knock on Deion.  It's a statement of the demographics and attitude of a lot of Nebraska residents.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1