Who should our next HC be?

7 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Thoughts on Malzahn? Not the best candidate but he's definitely a guy that can have the program in a NY6 bowl. Hard to find that kind of thing. He's a guy I'd rather have over most of the names out there.

- Extremely creative offensively.

- High-Level Recruiter

- History of success in big games

- Grinder, not a guy you'd find playing slots (figuratively and literally)

Cons:

- Pelini-esque record outside of his BCS runner-up year

- Bowl game losses, although in the SEC making a bowl game means half your team sits.

- Goofy, not the most personable guy in the world.

I'm curious why 9-10 win seasons are still considered a con for Husker fans.  Yes, at the time Pelini was considered an under-achiever, but with hindsight, wouldn't we be happy with those types of seasons right now?

• TBH 3

1 hour ago, Stone Cold said:

This is really sad to hear, there is still alot of that back edged racism going around.  Thought we would of moved on and been better about that.  I was just telling my co worker im not a big fan of mickys flash suit and larger than normal gold chain but who am i to judge someone by how they look.  Hell we had the perfect back country truck driving chew spittin coach here and he was just a hot mess apparently.  So who cares what someone dresses like as long as they treat the kids well and dont make the university look bad.  To each there own.

Yeah, I mean, I just kind of assume that the less a dude looks like me, the more likely he probably is to relate to kids through coaching and recruiting these days :D

Mickey and Deion’s “looks” are positives, not negatives in my book.

18 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Thoughts on Malzahn? Not the best candidate but he's definitely a guy that can have the program in a NY6 bowl. Hard to find that kind of thing. He's a guy I'd rather have over most of the names out there.

- Extremely creative offensively.

- High-Level Recruiter

- History of success in big games

- Grinder, not a guy you'd find playing slots (figuratively and literally)

Cons:

- Pelini-esque record outside of his BCS runner-up year

- Bowl game losses, although in the SEC making a bowl game means half your team sits.

- Goofy, not the most personable guy in the world.

I think he could make a great offense with the type of talent we can easily get here. That championship year he took a future CFL CB at QB and led one of the best offenses in the country in a tough defensive conference and took them one crazy Kelvin Benjamin catch away from a chip. He will def run the ball enough to make some fans happy too. 

11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm curious why 9-10 win seasons are still considered a con for Husker fans.  Yes, at the time Pelini was considered an under-achiever, but with hindsight, wouldn't we be happy with those types of seasons right now?

Early on? Yes.

After every loss became a blowout? Absolutely not.

Malzahn's Auburn team consistently tripped over its own feet a la Pelini. Is that the result of gameday coaching? Is it the result of the fishbowl at Auburn? Both? Idk.

FWIW I think Pelini's were far, far worse. 

4 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

I think he could make a great offense with the type of talent we can easily get here. That championship year he took a future CFL CB at QB and led one of the best offenses in the country in a tough defensive conference and took them one crazy Kelvin Benjamin catch away from a chip. He will def run the ball enough to make some fans happy too. 

They got a lot of breaks along the way to that game but getting Nick Marshall anywhere close to that game requires elite coaching.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So true...

Jimbo with Jameis Winston

Malzahn with Cam Newton

Charlie Strong with Teddy Bridgewater

Mack Brown with Vince Young

Just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more.

I'd cross Gus and Mack off that list, both have done well outside of the years they had amazing QBs.  When they had amazing QBs, they won NCs, other years they are still competing for conference championships.   And with the expanded playoffs looming, that means they would be/will be competing for playoffs.   Jimbo and Charlie hold true.   Time will tell on Heupel

12 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Here are my tiers

image.png.e9ec8c3b979da24babea6eee67655d14.png

I have to give you a thumbs up for not having Meyer or Sanders on your list. I really like Gundy but he very well may be too ingrained at OSU. I will also give you props for spelling Kiffin properly as it is too often misspelled. Stoops is interesting also but I am not sure he would come to Lincoln.

One name I would add is Chris Klieman of Kansas State.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Detasselingthehuskers said:

Sadly, I live in rural Nebraska and I can confirm that it’s still an issue. I went to a watch party and there were a lot of old racist dudes saying stuff about Mickey…

Sad, I have relatives like that. Those old racist dudes may have to someday watch Sanders coach a team we are playing.