Who should our next HC be?

20 minutes ago, sho said:

I'd cross Gus and Mack off that list, both have done well outside of the years they had amazing QBs.  When they had amazing QBs, they won NCs, other years they are still competing for conference championships.   And with the expanded playoffs looming, that means they would be/will be competing for playoffs.   Jimbo and Charlie hold true.   Time will tell on Heupel

Mack Brown won 2 conference titles in 16 years at UT. Gus won 1 in 8 years at Auburn.

22 minutes ago, sho said:

I'd cross Gus and Mack off that list, both have done well outside of the years they had amazing QBs.  When they had amazing QBs, they won NCs, other years they are still competing for conference championships.   And with the expanded playoffs looming, that means they would be/will be competing for playoffs.   Jimbo and Charlie hold true.   Time will tell on Heupel

Also Gus did not have Newton. He was gone before he got there. Chizik had Newton, went undefeated, then went 8-5 then 3-9 and got fired. Malzahn took over after that. I wont defend Mack f#&% that guy

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
18 minutes ago, Knothole Seats @ 50 Cents said:

I have to give you a thumbs up for not having Meyer or Sanders on your list. I really like Gundy but he very well may be too ingrained at OSU. I will also give you props for spelling Kiffin properly as it is too often misspelled. Stoops is interesting also but I am not sure he would come to Lincoln.

One name I would add is Chris Klieman of Kansas State.

Kleiman would be a Tier II hire but the only job I see him leaving for is Iowa (childhood fan, Cedar Falls guy)

Inside baseball moment:

Coaches dream of the organizational alignment he's got. His AD and he have been together for years and have a fantastic relationship.

Iowa's situation is really fragile. Kirk is a few more losses than expected from losing an important eligibility requirement for the HOF (.600 record) and there's probably +300 or better odds he retires this offseason. It's a perfect storm of pretty significant on and off the field stuff (lawsuits, buyout, failson, etc.). The AD is probably more likely to die on that hill than Kirk and if he goes, the new deputy AD would be a good hire, but if not, they'll probably need someone with alignment with the new coach OR a guy with some cachet. Kirk's been pretty resistant to NIL and portal stuff, so they'll need new staffers and other resources to modernize.

Stoops is on the record about it being his dream job and Kleiman isn't but it's pretty obvious. Would probably be an easy hire for them if they didn't promote Woods and retain Barta, but Kleiman is probably the most likely hire there.

Unrelated, but still interesting.

1 minute ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Also Gus did not have Newton. He was gone before he got there. Chizik had Newton, went undefeated, then went 8-5 then 3-9 and got fired. Malzahn took over after that. I wont defend Mack f#&% that guy

Gus, if I remember right, and that's a big if, was the OC for that NC team with Cam....so in a round about way he did have Cam.  He was also able to go back to the MNCG without Cam.  All while being second fiddle in his own state and being a B list school in his conference, while arguably the greatest HC was in his state

2 hours ago, husker009 said:

Rhule should be named head coach right NOW. What is Trev doing? Someone else is going to get him. Nothing has changed with Mickey regarding the defense. 

OMG you're right.  Someone walk over to trev's office right now and wake him up from his daily 4 hour nap and tell him to start doin his damn job already and finalize that deal with Rhule.  Hell, someone also tell him to get back to Belichick who was inquiring about being a head coach for immediately if only we said yes.  I know we left him hanging but maybe he'll take a coordinator job with us.  Regardless, someone tell that Trev guy to wake up and do his job!!!!!

• Haha 3
Just now, sho said:

Gus, if I remember right, and that's a big if, was the OC for that NC team with Cam....so in a round about way he did have Cam.  He was also able to go back to the MNCG without Cam.  All while being second fiddle in his own state and being a B list school in his conference, while arguably the greatest HC was in his state

Correct, Gus was the OC for the Cam team and Cam was probably the greatest dual-threat QB in CFB history. His scheme maximized his strengths (good) but there are some guys you can plug and play at an elite level in college. Derrick Henry, Ndamukong Suh, Cam, Tommie Frazier, Leonard Fournette, and Bryce Young come to mind at the college level.

Also, it's not arguable that Saban is the goat. Anyone who can overcome having to recruit and play against that (no less the last and most impactful week of the season polls-wise) has elite coaching traits. 

10 minutes ago, sho said:

Oh yeah duh thats right, but yeah same point then. He did it with and without.  Over the past decade even he is the only one other than the 2019 LSU team that has won that division over Bama and he did it twice. 

21 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Oh, right...that's who I meant. Chizik. 8-5, 14-0, 8-5, 3-9 and the one 14-0 year was with transcendent quarterback $cam Newton. Good catch.

17 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Kleiman would be a Tier II hire but the only job I see him leaving for is Iowa (childhood fan, Cedar Falls guy)

Inside baseball moment:

Coaches dream of the organizational alignment he's got. His AD and he have been together for years and have a fantastic relationship.

Iowa's situation is really fragile. Kirk is a few more losses than expected from losing an important eligibility requirement for the HOF (.600 record) and there's probably +300 or better odds he retires this offseason. It's a perfect storm of pretty significant on and off the field stuff (lawsuits, buyout, failson, etc.). The AD is probably more likely to die on that hill than Kirk and if he goes, the new deputy AD would be a good hire, but if not, they'll probably need someone with alignment with the new coach OR a guy with some cachet. Kirk's been pretty resistant to NIL and portal stuff, so they'll need new staffers and other resources to modernize.

Stoops is on the record about it being his dream job and Kleiman isn't but it's pretty obvious. Would probably be an easy hire for them if they didn't promote Woods and retain Barta, but Kleiman is probably the most likely hire there.

Unrelated, but still interesting.

Thanks for your insights.

7 hours ago, huskerpower22 said:

I don’t know why he wouldn’t be a cultural fit. The cultural fit we have had for 20 years hasn’t worked  either. What do people want? I swear people just love misery lol. 

Unfortunately many people still view Deion as flashy, arrogant, showboating. They haven't seen his transformation and don't care to. All they know is they don't care for him.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 2
11 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Good interview. He's doing a lot of good things...

Someone will hire him this off-season. 

They will then get likely their best recruiting class in years. 

They will go into next season a story every week they play

It's unclear if NU has the guts to be that place or if he will win. But it's hard to believe he will not leave the place better than when we comes. 

• Plus1 2

Do the experiment hires ever get old to anyone else on this board? The experiment hires have been going on for 20 years dating back to Callahan and the program has made zero progress and taken several steps back. Get a proven power five coach or this coaching change was meaningless. This program is considered a blue blood and it is long past time to start acting like it by swinging for the fences when it comes to hires. There is a lot going for this job, from the facilities, booster support, fan support, and the giant Big Ten TV deal coming up. Do not settle for Mickey because he beat Indiana and Rutgers. He would simply be another experiment hire and this program must not accept that going forward. 

• Plus1 3

Deion Sanders will be the best hire since Frank Solich. 

The biggest complaints I've heard for years from die hard fans is we can't recruit and there needs to be a culture change. Deion Sanders answers both of those. If Deion can get a 5* to JSU what do you think he can get to Lincoln.

"Ochaun Mathis: Nebraska has 'a losing culture going on' that must be addressed"

https://youtu.be/XdlfEhR7jl8

"Jackson State coach Deion Sanders flipped the nation's No. 1 overall recruit Travis Hunter to JSU--from Sanders' alma mater, Florida State."

Nobody was screaming "we need power 5 experience" when Scott  got hired. Frost had ONE winning season and that was good enough for y'all.  How much power 5 experience did bo have?

Deion Sanders isn't proven but 17-12 Dave Aranda, with 2 full seasons of experience, is a smash hire. A 58% winning percentage ain't good enough for Nebraska. We all know that. This guy can't even recruit. 

I'm a big fan of the huskers but I can't watch these train wrecks every weekend. A cb gets 3 pi's in a quarter and doesn't get benched. Blown coverages, blown tackles, missed blocks, dropped passes, terrible passes it's just non stop disappointment. 

• Oh Yeah! 2
3 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Do the experiment hires ever get old to anyone else on this board? The experiment hires have been going on for 20 years dating back to Callahan and the program has made zero progress and taken several steps back. Get a proven power five coach or firing Frost was meaningless. This program is considered a blue blood and it is long past time to start acting like it by swinging for the fences when it comes to hires. There is a lot going for this job, from the facilities, booster support, fan support, and the giant Big Ten TV deal coming up. Do not settle for Mickey because he beat Purdue and Rutgers. He would simply be another experiment hire and this program must not accept that going forward. 

He lost to Purdue. But your point stands.