Who should our next HC be?

59 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Billy Napier represents what I'm talking about. He did well at a G5 but brought his Alabama experience to Florida and went on a massive hiring spree for administrators and support staff. The boring stuff is the difference between an effective CEO (Napier in this example) and entrepreneur (Chadwell). People out of the Saban tree do this exceptionally well.

Yes, we need someone wt CEO skills.  I think HCSF was promoted above his skill level when he came to Nebraska.  He probably best suited as a OC for a good school. He hasn't been able to wrap his arms around the CEO role from the beginning - obvious first bad decision was to bring his whole coaching staff with him which had little P5 experience.  SF as a HC had limited experience and he limited his reach by bringing assistant coaches who had no greater experience than he did.  Plus there was that deceitful arrogance that they thought they could do in the B1G what they did in the AAC. 

While Chadwell is also from a G5 school, he has had much more experience than Frost  at running a program.  The jury is still out as to whether his O style would work in the B1G but I think he has the executive skills to bring us back to respectability.  I still prefer someone wt successful P5 experience or possibly  O'Brien since he has now been at the Saban school of reclamation.   Of course Peterson, Aranda (still limited amount of time as P5 coach but proved himself as DC for LSU) are still high on my list.

Trev has a big load on his shoulders.  With the new facilities, NIL, Transfer Portal, 12 team playoff, Conference realignment/expansion, this hire is probably the most important hire since the BobFather promoted Tom to HC.  No pressure at all Trev. :o 

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I still prefer someone wt successful P5 experience or possibly  O'Brien since he has now been at the Saban school of reclamation.

O'Brien won Big 10 coach of the year by the coaches and the media, national coach of the year by ESPN, and won the Paul "Bear" Bryant coach of the year before going to the NFL.  I think that is successful P5 experience.  He likely also has more of the "CEO" skills than anyone else mentioned in this thread.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why he isn't a front runner, in fans eyes. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

O'Brien won Big 10 coach of the year by the coaches and the media, national coach of the year by ESPN, and won the Paul "Bear" Bryant coach of the year before going to the NFL.  I think that is successful P5 experience.  He likely also has more of the "CEO" skills than anyone else mentioned in this thread.

I live in Houston lol..  

But yes what he did at Penn State was Nice. But I don't think he can bring that here. 

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, BaytownHusker said:

I live in Houston lol..  

But yes what he did at Penn State was Nice. But I don't think he can bring that here. 

4 AFC South titles in 6 years wasn't good?  He is literally the only coach with a winning record the Texans have ever had.  And the guys you replaced him with have gone a combined 8-21 since?  Yeah, sounds like he was a huge problem.   

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
50 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, we need someone wt CEO skills.  I think HCSF was promoted above his skill level when he came to Nebraska.  He probably best suited as a OC for a good school. He hasn't been able to wrap his arms around the CEO role from the beginning - obvious first bad decision was to bring his whole coaching staff with him which had little P5 experience.  SF as a HC had limited experience and he limited his reach by bringing assistant coaches who had no greater experience than he did.  Plus there was that deceitful arrogance that they thought they could do in the B1G what they did in the AAC. 

While Chadwell is also from a G5 school, he has had much more experience than Frost  at running a program.  The jury is still out as to whether his O style would work in the B1G but I think he has the executive skills to bring us back to respectability.  I still prefer someone wt successful P5 experience or possibly  O'Brien since he has now been at the Saban school of reclamation.   Of course Peterson, Aranda (still limited amount of time as P5 coach but proved himself as DC for LSU) are still high on my list.

Trev has a big load on his shoulders.  With the new facilities, NIL, Transfer Portal, 12 team playoff, Conference realignment/expansion, this hire is probably the most important hire since the BobFather promoted Tom to HC.  No pressure at all Trev. :o 

Accurate IMO and well stated. 

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

4 AFC South titles in 6 years wasn't good?  He is literally the only coach with a winning record the Texans have ever had.  And the guys you replaced him with have gone a combined 8-21 since?  Yeah, sounds like he was a huge problem.   

I don't even like the Texans lol.. I just hear everyone complain about him here.

16 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

So he did that wt Joe P's recruits.  It would have been interesting to see if he could have gotten good recruits in on his own.  

Some positives for him 

his past success in the B1G. 

his NFL experience -

being a part of the Saban coaching tree  -- That begs the question - If we get O'Brien, does Saban get SF as his next reclamation project??  

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So he did that wt Joe P's recruits.  It would have been interesting to see if he could have gotten good recruits in on his own.  

Some positives for him 

his past success in the B1G. 

his NFL experience -

being a part of the Saban coaching tree  -- That begs the question - If we get O'Brien, does Saban get SF as his next reclamation project??  

He landed one 5 star recruit and six 4 star recruits in 2 years- while the program was on a post season ban and was basically being chastised by every news outlet on the planet for the Sandusky scandal.  Basically a recruiting miracle.  

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, walksalone said:

What truly terrifies me is that these muppets hire another Clownahan.

I remember him driving this program into the ground like a f*ckin' meteor.  He did more damage to this program than Riley, Bo, and Frost could ever conceive of.

He did get us to the Big 12 championship game.  The fumble on the first play didn't help our cause any:facepalm:

He had some good recruits.

His biggest fault was holding on to his DC tooo long - like Frost - too loyal to his assistants at the expense of the team. 

To be clear - I'm not a BC fan - but he did a few things well.  Like calling Oklahoma f-......

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

He landed one 5 star recruit and six 4 star recruits in 2 years- while the program was on a post season ban and was basically being chastised by every news outlet on the planet for the Sandusky scandal.  Basically a recruiting miracle.  

Very true.   Next time you see Trev, go ahead a wave a "BOB" banner like fans did before we hired Frost. 

4 minutes ago, walksalone said:

What truly terrifies me is that these muppets hire another Clownahan.

I remember him driving this program into the ground like a f*ckin' meteor.  He did more damage to this program than Riley, Bo, and Frost could ever conceive of.

The only thing O'Brien and Callahan have in common is they both coached in the NFL.  We hired an NFL coach with a losing record who had never coach college.  It was a terrible hire and made zero sense.  

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

Very true.   Next time you see Trev, go ahead a wave a "BOB" banner like fans did before we hired Frost. 

While I'm making the case for him because I think he should be on a very short list, I'm still holding out hope we don't have to make a coaching change.  

Just now, Hilltop said:

While I'm making the case for him because I think he should be on a very short list, I'm still holding out hope we don't have to make a coaching change.  

Understood.    I think he is a guy that has the coaching maturity to make it work.