Who should our next HC be?

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

He did get us to the Big 12 championship game.  The fumble on the first play didn't help our cause any:facepalm:

He had some good recruits.

His biggest fault was holding on to his DC tooo long - like Frost - too loyal to his assistants at the expense of the team. 

To be clear - I'm not a BC fan - but he did a few things well.  Like calling Oklahoma f-......

He also managed to kill the 9 game winning season streak and the bowl streak

two words, human amoeba

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Full disclosure - all 7 of these recruits are from prime Penn St recruiting territory

5 star - VA

4 stars - PA, PA, NJ, NJ, NJ, MD

Yes but that is where 99% of all Penn State Recruits come from.  There was serious interest from other good schools close but he was able to get them to play there.  For what it's worth, Hackenburg's home town sits about the same distance to State College as it does to Columbus.  Alabama had him as their number 1 target as well. 

47 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

So he did that wt Joe P's recruits.  It would have been interesting to see if he could have gotten good recruits in on his own.  

Some positives for him 

his past success in the B1G. 

his NFL experience -

being a part of the Saban coaching tree  -- That begs the question - If we get O'Brien, does Saban get SF as his next reclamation project??  

Wasn't there a bit of an exodus following? That's probably too strong a description. Point being, O'Brien didn't inherit and ideal situation. It took some skill to steady the ship that led to their eventual success. 

• Plus1 1
On 9/7/2022 at 8:08 AM, TonkaSker said:

Freeze and Art Briles are the two guys I don't want anywhere near the program. Scum

You do realize there are some people who feel the same way about Frost? Folks where I live think he's a cowardly POS who hid in a closet while Lawrence Phillips beat up the girl. All of these coaches have one thing or another. Solich had issued. Even Osborne is ridiculed by some for steroids and partial qualifiers.

Finding a quality coach with no skeletons in his closet is like finding a needle in a haystack.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, Hilltop said:

O'Brien won Big 10 coach of the year by the coaches and the media, national coach of the year by ESPN, and won the Paul "Bear" Bryant coach of the year before going to the NFL.  I think that is successful P5 experience. 

Scott Frost won the AP, AFCA, AAC, Eddie Robinson, FCA, Paul "Bear" Bryant, and Home Depot Coach of the Year awards. Mike Riley won the Pac-10 Coach of the Year award.

Who cares?

• Plus1 2
11 hours ago, TGHusker said:

His biggest fault was holding on to his DC tooo long - like Frost - too loyal to his assistants at the expense of the team. 

This is one of the most egregious examples of revisionist history I can possibly imagine.

Callahan's offense was the problem in his three years before he lost the team, which is not on the DC. Think back to 2005 - we were 25th in scoring defense.

Sure we gave up some points in our four losses, but Zac had at least two picks in each of those games and we struggled mightily on that side of the ball with the most porous offensive line I have ever seen.

But forget about '05. Think about 2006, his best year. We won 9, lost 5. Of those 5, only one of those is on the defense. Against #4 USC we played conservative vanilla-ball to the tune of 10 points. We held #5 Texas to 22 (their third lowest of the season behind OSU and A&M). We held #8 Oklahoma to 21 (their third lowest of the season while we scored a measly 7 points and had 4 interceptions). We held #10 Auburn to 14 points and couldn't do anything after our opening drive.

2007 is an anomaly due to the staff completely losing the team. Callahan built a championship team in '06 and it was the defense that did their job well enough against elite level competition when the offense couldn't get it done.

2 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Scott Frost won the AP, AFCA, AAC, Eddie Robinson, FCA, Paul "Bear" Bryant, and Home Depot Coach of the Year awards. Mike Riley won the Pac-10 Coach of the Year award.

Who cares?

My response was to TG who was implying he didn't have any P5 coaching experience.   Those are just a small part of his resume which,  since you aren't following along, I'll add is much better than Frost or Riley's.

• Fire 1
12 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You do realize there are some people who feel the same way about Frost? Folks where I live think he's a cowardly POS who hid in a closet while Lawrence Phillips beat up the girl. All of these coaches have one thing or another. Solich had issued. Even Osborne is ridiculed by some for steroids and partial qualifiers.

Finding a quality coach with no skeletons in his closet is like finding a needle in a haystack.

I'm not going to say that football coaches are model members of society. Urban Meyer has skeletons but I'd be happy to hire him. You don't need bring in a guy that runs a program full of crime, and I know that's not the argument you're trying to make. I don't care about having a clean coach, shoot I like Chadwell and he's probably going to be fined by the NCAA for being unable to run a program himself.

There's a class of scandals in college football history that have documentaries about them or could and the Baylor scandal will eventually. Briles wasn't just ignorant there, he was involved in covering it up. Details are pretty gruesome. 

Freeze's scandals at Ole Miss aren't really what I care about, I think they're kinda funny honestly. The guy's just a psychopath who can't let a single person say a bad thing about him. He's also surrounded himself with everyone involved in the baylor thing and has defended their actions on the record going so far as publicly confronting victims. 

You can win with a lot of coaches but you don't need to hire either of these two. If you could, they would be coaching somewhere other than Liberty.

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, Red Five said:

Full disclosure - all 7 of these recruits are from prime Penn St recruiting territory

5 star - VA

4 stars - PA, PA, NJ, NJ, NJ, MD

We play 1-3 games over there annually between rutgers, penn st, and maryland. This might not translate completely but it would be nice to get into that recruiting market since its in the big ten footprint.

On BOB and recruiting, bringing an operation that is operationally similar to alabamas would be game-changing. Nobody in the B1GW has a high-level recruiting operation. We could lock down the 500-mile radius with the right coach.

Edited by TonkaSker
clarity
  • Plus1 1