Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Another name I'm seeing mentioned is Gus Malzahn... but would we take a risk on another UCF guy?

I mean, he's more than JUST another UCF guy, has good P5 experience at a tier 2 school in the conference he was in and consistently won.   Plus the last HC from UCF seems to be having a little bit of success, even if he wasn't all that good in Orlando.   We could do a lot worse, don't know if you could say a lot better.  Better, subjective.  Worse absolutely. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I got no problem with Petersen, but to answer your question, Baylor had won the conference 2 years straight before the whole Art Briles rape thing. And just three years after it, Rhule won the division. Baylor's not the doormat of the Big 12 they once were. Aranda and Campbell seem pretty equal to me, only difference is Campbell has a larger body of work.

Both are mediocre and not worth a big raise.

The ‘Osbone’ is still the best offense ever devised in cfb history.  Nobody did it better because nobody ever tried, seriously anyway. It helped to have TO manage it of course.  But it was a simple yet complex offense that attacked a defense inside and out with great power and speed, from a variety of formations, with well trained athletes that executed at a very high level.  

Every position was recruited to and developed carefully and systematically.   TO recruited well but never needed the fabulous WRs and QBs to win at the highest levels.  By being able to develop 2-3 star players at a number of positions, he was able to devote more recruiting efforts in and to defense and STs.  

Ultimately, he did get some special players in the RB spot.  But his QBs didn’t need NFL arms and WRs could be ‘average’ pass catchers with exceptional non-ball skills.  

TO also was adept at maintaining exceptional scout team squads to prepare his defense for the offenses they would face.  This,   while most opponents had very little capability to prepare for NU offense.  His system gave Neb advantages that offset any disadvantages he may have had in recruiting, etc.   

The only way Neb wins championships using the same basic schemes as most of our competitors is to recruit the very best across the entire team.  That’s where even minimal recruiting handicaps will make it so difficult to win consistently.   Great running QBs with average arms are much easier to find and develop.  Passing is a skill that is largely genetic and hard to really develop. You either have great throwing skills or you don’t.  

That said, a modernized (I don’t use that term but since so many insist an option style offense is antiquated I will use it) Osbone can be devised.  Frost was supposed to be an offensive wizard who could do something creative.  We never saw it all.  Half or more of our opponents for the past decade run basically our offense.  Zero surprise. They run it better than we do and defenses know it.  Result:  a anemic run game and sputtering inconsistent passing game reliant on great QB passing skills.   Adrian was pretty talented but not special.  And Palmer appears to be our first of dozens of WRs with special skills.  And the O line has been basically ignored and far below any standard suitable to this ‘modern’ offense.  Even basic run plays are below the 4 ypc level and erratic at best.  2-3 yard gains are the norm, even in play action with a lot of pass formation/look built in.  First and goal at the 5 yard line is a crap shoot with our run game.  

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

It’s MJ job to lose. I believe he’s the coach come Nov. most certainly if we go 6-6 and get to a bowl game 

I definitely wish him and the team nothing but success. 6-6 at this point would be incredible given how bad the oline and defense are heading into the upcoming schedule. 

3 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

I think as long as your not physically hurting anyone is none of my dam business.  

What about emotional or psychological injury? Those things are real and many times carry consequences for the injured party for far longer than physical injury. Are you ok with that?

https://uihc.org/childrens/news/emotional-abuse-neglect-may-be-more-harmful-long-term-physical-sexual-abuse

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

No but in all seriousness there aren't many coaches that we can name that are grinders and hate to lose candidate coaches.  

I know we've all kind of veered all over the place as to what is important to us and what we assume is going to be important to Trev. But it got me thinking back to what Trev actually said when he talked about what he's looking for in our next head coach. I'm sure he's mentioned some other stuff since then and a lot of this is coach speak, but I do think it's somewhat telling where he started when he answered that question and the order in which he listed them...

Great coaches are...

• people of character
  • people managers
  • culture builders
  • grinders, a lot of the great ones don’t have a whole lot of hobbies, football is all they know

Looking for someone who...

• is able to identify and relate to the modern student athlete and all they’re going through, all of the new things like NIL are very important
  • has basic fundamentals of authentic leadership
  • is somebody the players are willing to follow
  • is someone who hates to lose, who hates losing more than they enjoy winning
  • has a servant leadership mentality, here to serve young people
  • sees this as an opportunity to rebuild and build something special

As bad as I hate to say it, given that "people of character" was the first thing he listed, I don't think Urban is an option.

The rest of the things are probably vague enough that they could fit just about any candidate.

Noteworthy also that he didn't list anything like "able to recruit" or "win/loss record" or "years of experience" etc. although I think a lot of that goes without saying. Also, he specifically said timeline won't be a factor as he's not going to base this big of a decision on when someone is available.

17 minutes ago, LennynSquiggy said:

What about emotional or psychological injury? Those things are real and many times carry consequences for the injured party for far longer than physical injury. Are you ok with that?

https://uihc.org/childrens/news/emotional-abuse-neglect-may-be-more-harmful-long-term-physical-sexual-abuse

Well this isnt the cub scouts

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The ‘Osbone’ is still the best offense ever devised in cfb history.  Nobody did it better because nobody ever tried, seriously anyway. It helped to have TO manage it of course.  But it was a simple yet complex offense that attacked a defense inside and out with great power and speed, from a variety of formations, with well trained athletes that executed at a very high level.  

Good post and you stated it more clearly than what I did previously. The big question:  Do we think we can recruit at the level of OSU, USC, Mich, Bama, Georgia, Tx, OU, Clemson,  Florida to be able to get close to the playoff much less win one?  We are simply in a recruiting cold zone (figuratively speaking) and I don't think there is enough NIL money to level the field with those other big P5 names.  If we could somehow land that recruiting/developmental genious of a coach - then great. Bring it on and lets compete toe to toe with those big names.  But if we are talking about the boarder coaches and the like who run basically the same thing the big boys run - then we'll have to be content wt 7-9 wins (hopefully we get to 9 under the new B1G schedule after USC, UCLA and whomever else joins).   I've always said we need to go big now I'm thinking

GO BIG OR GO DIFFERENT  --  Get the big name coach or differentiate yourself.  

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I was talking to a long time Texas A&M fan & grad this morning at work.  We were saying something similar.    The flavor of the day is the spread - everyone runs it and THEREFORE everyone has recruited a defense to stop it.  He came out and said Nebraska needs to go back to the gritty smashmouth football they ONCE WERE.  That doesn't mean we just RTDB but that we modernize what Tom did.  Recruit to our strengths and not be like everyone else.  If we can't get a big name who can bring in recruits to compete with OSU, USC, etc, then I would be all in on Jeff Monken or Chadwell.  Both would provide an offense that would be hard to prepare for as we'd be the only one on the opposing team's schedule with that type of O.   Granted, it means recruiting 4 star and 5 star OL would be a must, receivers who can catch and block, and a RB who can take on the load.  Of course - it won't matter if the D doesn't improve.  But a more ball controlled O helps out the D in so many ways as you all know.  

Your first problem is taking football advice from an Aggie. In fact, if they think we should do something, we should probably do the exact opposite. I've known a lot of them and I think I've ever known like 1 good one. They're the worst.

2 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Your first problem is taking football advice from an Aggie. In fact, if they think we should do something, we should probably do the exact opposite. I've known a lot of them and I think I've ever known like 1 good one. They're the worst.

Well - not taking advise from him.  He was thinking something similar to what I was already thinking.  Sometimes great minds can come from surprising places - even A&M:smokin

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Well this isnt the cub scouts

Scout leaders try to teach young boys how to behave properly, among other things. Football coaches try to teach their charges how to act like responsible young men and make the right choices, among other things. I don't see much difference in that regard but YMMV.

• Fire 1

Does anyone else on this board seriously believe other coaches don’t cover up abuse? It’s sad, but it happens all the time. For me, I’m tired of the nice guys. They always finish last. NU has been trying nice guys for nearly two decades and look how far it has gotten the program. If there is even a small chance someone of Urban’s caliber wants the job, Trev needs to capitalize on the opportunity. I hate to break it to everyone else on here, but Osborne also covered up abuse and a whole bunch of other crimes committed by his players, yet most of our fans worship the guy. He was dirty like Urban, but he won at a high level. This game requires coaches to be dirty if they want to win anything significant. That is just the reality of the sport. Our program isn’t as clean as most of the fans think it is. Hiring Urban would be far from the worst act committed by this program and that’s a fact.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Does anyone else on this board seriously believe other coaches don’t cover up domestic abuse. It’s sad, but it happens all the time. For me, I’m tired of the nice guys. They always finish last. NU has been trying nice guys for nearly two decades and look how far it has gotten the program. If there is even a small chance someone of Urban’s caliber wants the job, Trev needs to capitalize on the opportunity. I hate to break it to everyone else on here, but Osborne also covered up abuse and a whole bunch of other crimes. Our program isn’t as clean as most of the fans think it is. Hiring Urban would be far from the worst act committed by this program and that’s a fact.

Tom Osborne didn't.