Who should our next HC be?

49 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

It’s MJ job to lose. I believe he’s the coach come Nov. most certainly if we go 6-6 and get to a bowl game 

It's certainly an interesting discussion i.e. what can MJ do to get the job.

Personally, I think the minimum or floor for him is bowl eligibility. Anything less than that and it's probably not happening. And even if they do make bowl eligibility, Trev and other university leaders would have to be convinced that MJ's methodology, skills, development programs, and coaching abilities can be built upon to turn the program around. The only thing that I think would've all but guaranteed the job for MJ is being in contention for and/or winning the division, which probably isn't going to happen.

It's tough. I've struggled with determining what results help MJ get the job. IDK who Trev has as his top few candidates right now, but assuming they're coaches to the quality and caliber of someone like a Chris Peterson, I think it'd be really really hard to turn that guy down in favor of MJ... even if MJ was bowl eligible. You'd have to really, really believe in the product MJ is selling.

• Fire 2
47 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The ‘Osbone’ is still the best offense ever devised in cfb history.  Nobody did it better because nobody ever tried, seriously anyway. It helped to have TO manage it of course.  But it was a simple yet complex offense that attacked a defense inside and out with great power and speed, from a variety of formations, with well trained athletes that executed at a very high level.  

Every position was recruited to and developed carefully and systematically.   TO recruited well but never needed the fabulous WRs and QBs to win at the highest levels.  By being able to develop 2-3 star players at a number of positions, he was able to devote more recruiting efforts in and to defense and STs.  

Ultimately, he did get some special players in the RB spot.  But his QBs didn’t need NFL arms and WRs could be ‘average’ pass catchers with exceptional non-ball skills.  

TO also was adept at maintaining exceptional scout team squads to prepare his defense for the offenses they would face.  This,   while most opponents had very little capability to prepare for NU offense.  His system gave Neb advantages that offset any disadvantages he may have had in recruiting, etc.   

The only way Neb wins championships using the same basic schemes as most of our competitors is to recruit the very best across the entire team.  That’s where even minimal recruiting handicaps will make it so difficult to win consistently.   Great running QBs with average arms are much easier to find and develop.  Passing is a skill that is largely genetic and hard to really develop. You either have great throwing skills or you don’t.  

That said, a modernized (I don’t use that term but since so many insist an option style offense is antiquated I will use it) Osbone can be devised.  Frost was supposed to be an offensive wizard who could do something creative.  We never saw it all.  Half or more of our opponents for the past decade run basically our offense.  Zero surprise. They run it better than we do and defenses know it.  Result:  a anemic run game and sputtering inconsistent passing game reliant on great QB passing skills.   Adrian was pretty talented but not special.  And Palmer appears to be our first of dozens of WRs with special skills.  And the O line has been basically ignored and far below any standard suitable to this ‘modern’ offense.  Even basic run plays are below the 4 ypc level and erratic at best.  2-3 yard gains are the norm, even in play action with a lot of pass formation/look built in.  First and goal at the 5 yard line is a crap shoot with our run game.  

Okay, I’m convinced. The next HC should be Osborne.

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Does anyone else on this board seriously believe other coaches don’t cover up domestic abuse. It’s sad, but it happens all the time. For me, I’m tired of the nice guys. They always finish last. NU has been trying nice guys for nearly two decades and look how far it has gotten the program. If there is even a small chance someone of Urban’s caliber wants the job, Trev needs to capitalize on the opportunity. I hate to break it to everyone else on here, but Osborne also covered up abuse and a whole bunch of other crimes, yet most of our fans worship the guy. Our program isn’t as clean as most of the fans think it is. Hiring Urban would be far from the worst act committed by this program and that’s a fact.

Well, there's nice guys and then there's just flat out sleaze bags. I've reluctantly been on the hire Urban train (reluctantly because I don't like his character issues) this whole time, but after going back and listening to Trev, I just don't see it happening. This interview is pretty cringe. I know he thought he was doing it for damage control, but it had the opposite effect on me...

Some things are more important than football. Not many, but some.

37 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Does anyone else on this board seriously believe other coaches don’t cover up domestic abuse? It’s sad, but it happens all the time. For me, I’m tired of the nice guys. They always finish last. NU has been trying nice guys for nearly two decades and look how far it has gotten the program. If there is even a small chance someone of Urban’s caliber wants the job, Trev needs to capitalize on the opportunity. I hate to break it to everyone else on here, but Osborne also covered up abuse and a whole bunch of other crimes committed by his players, yet most of our fans worship the guy. He was dirty like Urban, but he won at a high level. This game requires coaches to be dirty if they want to win anything significant. That is just the reality of the sport. Our program isn’t as clean as most of the fans think it is. Hiring Urban would be far from the worst act committed by this program and that’s a fact.

You logic makes Zak Smith the best choice for Meyer's WR coach.

7 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Well, there's nice guys and then there's just flat out sleaze bags. I've reluctantly been on the hire Urban train (reluctantly because I don't like his character issues) this whole time, but after going back and listening to Trev, I just don't see it happening. This interview is pretty cringe. I know he thought he was doing it for damage control, but it had the opposite effect on me...

Some things are more important than football. Not many, but some.

Saban is a giant sleaze bag too, but I highly doubt there's a single Alabama fan that cares. The guy literally made players cry while he was in the NFL and I'm sure it's happened plenty since he's been at Alabama. He also openly swears during interviews occasionally. It seems to be working out well for Alabama lately. 

25 minutes ago, Enhance said:

It's certainly an interesting discussion i.e. what can MJ do to get the job.

Personally, I think the minimum or floor for him is bowl eligibility. Anything less than that and it's probably not happening. And even if they do make bowl eligibility, Trev and other university leaders would have to be convinced that MJ's methodology, skills, development programs, and coaching abilities can be built upon to turn the program around. The only thing that I think would've all but guaranteed the job for MJ is being in contention for and/or winning the division, which probably isn't going to happen.

It's tough. I've struggled with determining what results help MJ get the job. IDK who Trev has as his top few candidates right now, but assuming they're coaches to the quality and caliber of someone like a Chris Peterson, I think it'd be really really hard to turn that guy down in favor of MJ... even if MJ was bowl eligible. You'd have to really, really believe in the product MJ is selling.

I agree with most of what your saying here. what has really got me on the MJ bandwagon is how he has held this team together and get them playing at a high level after their world was rocked with the SF firing. and that the team has pretty much stayed together and there is no mass exodus of players like Wincy they have had 5 players go in the transfer portal and MJ has had one that's a hell of a achievement even if we have some go after the season. he has held them together and i think that speak volumes about his coaching and character 

7 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Saban is a giant sleaze bag too, but I highly doubt there's a single Alabama fan that cares. The guy literally made players cry while he was in the NFL and I'm sure it's happened plenty since he's been at Alabama. He also openly swears during interviews occasionally. It seems to be working out well for Alabama lately. 

Dude, swearing/saying something that hurts someone’s feelings is not the same thing as covering up domestic violence, etc.

Look, I’m not saying what he’s done should take him off our list entirely like an Art Briles. He’s just not my first choice anymore. I think there are better options. And more than anything, he doesn’t fit what Trev described he wants.

9 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Dude, swearing/saying something that hurts someone’s feelings is not the same thing as covering up domestic violence, etc.

Look, I’m not saying what he’s done should take him off our list entirely like an Art Briles. He’s just not my first choice anymore. I think there are better options. And more than anything, he doesn’t fit what Trev described he wants.

I just think now is the time for this program to make an elite hire. This is a point in time where the job is very attractive due to all the buzz around the new Big 10 media rights, NIL being introduced, and the facility upgrades. The program gave up an extra $7.5 million to let Frost go two weeks earlier. Money is obviously not an object for NU. If they hire a Matt Campbell or Bill O'Brien, Trev is telling the fans that NU is not serious about being elite again. Hiring someone like Urban would be NU telling the fans that they are serious about being elite. Sometimes when it comes to winning, certain incidents have to be ignored. 

• Plus1 3