Who should our next HC be?

5 minutes ago, LennynSquiggy said:

Stepping out on your spouse/significant other shows a lack of character (and a total disregard for their well being). When you lack character how are you supposed to teach the kids/young men in your charge?

Again, YMMV.

Well depending on the coach you get YMGWYWF, FWIT IMO, BT2BD

• Haha 3
1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Again, I ask how you can put both of those in the same sentence? And how can you classify Aranda as elite? Anyone with a conference title is elite to you? I like you and agree with much of what you say, but this one is a real head scratcher to me.

Mike Gundy has one conference title at Okie State in 18 years, yet most people on this board think he's elite. Aranda won two games his first year and turned that team into a conference champion a year later. I will concede that there is a possibility it could have been a product of Rhule's recruiting, but he would still be the best hire NU has made since Solich based on resume alone.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Good points.   I agree that he isn't the 'sexiest ' name on the list but I think wt all of his connections, he should be able to build a great staff.  With his NFL experience he should be a good manager of what a college football team is now looking like with NIL and the transfer portal now a part of the game. He'd have to have some splash hires at OC and DC to get the attention of recruits - not sure how good of a recruiter he would be since he's been out of the college game for so many years up to the time at Bama.

I'm hopeful he can bring the same recruiting chops here that he did at PSU under those crazy circumstances.  He had some pretty solid recruiting wins despite everything hovering around that program from both a sanction and pure optic standpoint.  What I've very hopeful of is that he'd place a priority on a sound o line and be able to nab some quality QB talent given his track record.

13 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

You can read between the lines on that.  He can easily be referencing a coordinator at a playoff bound team that might still be tied to another school.  Given how coaching searches are handled these days and the amount of time we've had, I would be shocked if it isnt lined up in the next few weeks and then announcement made Sat/Sun after we beatdown iowa

No, he's saying if you have a chance for an A who's not available to start until January, you don't pass on him for a B or lower just because they can come in November. And he's right.

18 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Every single Alabama fan I've ever met or heard from on the internet thinks he's the weakest part of Saban's staff and can't wait to get rid of him. Most say it with a lot of conviction. Meh.

They must all be idiots.  Bama is ranked 7th in total offence currently. Tied wt Tenn for 2 out these top 7 for offensive TDs.  

I don't think I would complain one bit if BOB comes to Nebraska and brings an experienced staff that can recruit the guys to make the plays. 

I think he would be a big get based on his overall resume, success,  and the connections he has.  Coming from the Saban school  won't hurt a bit.

Games Plays Yards Yrd/Play  Off TD     YPG

RANK
TEAM
G
PLAYS
YDS
YDS/PLAY
OFF TDS
YPG
1 tennessee.svgTennessee 6 450 3306 7.35 37 551.0
2 ohio-st.svgOhio St. 6 404 3262 8.07 41 543.7
3 tcu.svgTCU 6 411 3160 7.69 36 526.7
4 georgia.svgGeorgia 7 508 3686 7.26 35 526.6
5 ucf.svgUCF 6 458 3151 6.88 30 525.2
6 james-madison.svgJames Madison 6 473 3118 6.59 34 519.7
7 alabama.svgAlabama 7 488 3591 7.36 37 513.0
  • Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Good post and you stated it more clearly than what I did previously. The big question:  Do we think we can recruit at the level of OSU, USC, Mich, Bama, Georgia, Tx, OU, Clemson,  Florida to be able to get close to the playoff much less win one?  We are simply in a recruiting cold zone (figuratively speaking) and I don't think there is enough NIL money to level the field with those other big P5 names.  If we could somehow land that recruiting/developmental genious of a coach - then great. Bring it on and lets compete toe to toe with those big names.  But if we are talking about the boarder coaches and the like who run basically the same thing the big boys run - then we'll have to be content wt 7-9 wins (hopefully we get to 9 under the new B1G schedule after USC, UCLA and whomever else joins).   I've always said we need to go big now I'm thinking

GO BIG OR GO DIFFERENT  --  Get the big name coach or differentiate yourself.  

now you’re getting it. :cheers

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Gage County said:

You logic makes Zak Smith the best choice for Meyer's WR coach.

I don't condone what he did, but he was a good recruiter for OSU. On top of that, he seems to have learned from his mistakes and turned his life around. Zak Smith just proves my point even further that being dirty more times than not yields wins. Football is not supposed to be Sunday school. 

Who do you guys consider to be Big Names now?  I also put the % I think they would come here if offered based on a number I pulled from the air:facepalm: - but mainly just by reading all of this craziness

Big Name Hires

URB - but unrealistic      0%

Chris Peterson  - but unrealistic   0% 

Matt Rhule     10%  (I think he sits a year)

Lane Kiffin      30%

Dave Aranda   40%

Prime Time    1%

Bill O'Brien (Big name based on his whole body of work) - very realistic  80%

Medium  Name Hires

Chadwell    65%

Leipold       75%

Klieman     30%

Monken     35%

Campbell  30%  fading fast

I think my personal ranking at this point (leaving out URB, CP, Prime Time as totally not going to happen)

Kiffin     - Name recognition, recruiter   Despite his current success, he sounds ready for a change - where he can get more support. 

Rhule  - a lot of upside  - great experience, name recognition  but may be unrealistic for this year of the coaching carosal  

O'Brien   - the maturity & all well rounded experience on the college and pro levels can't be ignored

Chadwell  - which would signal we are going to differentiate ourselves.  Long term success as college coach

Leipold - program developer - places program on a stable, consistent base of performance 

Nonken - differentiation 

Aranda  - still young in HC experience but very good defensive mind

Klienman  - knows our Midwest area and can secure the 500 mile radius

Campbell  -  mostly MEH at this point 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

No, he's saying if you have a chance for an A who's not available to start until January, you don't pass on him for a B or lower just because they can come in November. And he's right.

I dont disagree with that, in theory.  However, in todays world, even if u have an A guy lined up u make the announcement in December.  Any incoming coach who is competent will not want to wait until early jan to announce theyre taking the job given the early signing period in place

51 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Mike Gundy has one conference title at Okie State in 18 years, yet most people on this board think he's elite. Aranda won two games his first year and turned that team into a conference champion a year later. I will concede that there is a possibility it could have been a product of Rhule's recruiting, but he would still be the best hire NU has made since Solich based on resume alone.

I don't think Gundy is elite either. The problem with guys like Gundy and Aranda is that they're performing about where they should be at the places they're at, both of which are considered on par or better than current Nebraska. Both are in better recruiting areas. Both have plenty of resources and fan support. Neither is a blue blood, which we still are, but they're as good or better than us in every other category. And all that history means jack to kids these days. So, why do you think either is elite? Or would be able to improve if they came to NU?

Elite to me is either someone who's A) doing GREAT at someplace lower than Nebraska or B) has won BIG at a school on par with or better than Nebraska.

Petersen I'll give you, but I just don't see Aranda (or Gundy) that way. Maybe we have different definitions of "elite." And just to clarify, I think there are a small handful of coaches who fall into that category.

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Who do you guys consider to be Big Names now?  I also put the % I think they would come here if offered based on a number I pulled from the air:facepalm: - but mainly just by reading all of this craziness

Big Name Hires

URB - but unrealistic      0%

Chris Peterson  - but unrealistic   0% 

Matt Rhule     10%  (I think he sits a year)

Lane Kiffin      30%

Dave Aranda   40%

Prime Time    1%

Bill O'Brien (Big name based on his whole body of work) - very realistic  80%

Medium  Name Hires

Chadwell    65%

Leipold       75%

Klieman     30%

Monken     35%

Campbell  30%  fading fast

I think my personal ranking at this point (leaving out URB, CP, Prime Time as totally not going to happen)

Kiffin     - Name recognition, recruiter   Despite his current success, he sounds ready for a change - where he can get more support. 

Rhule  - a lot of upside  - great experience, name recognition  but may be unrealistic for this year of the coaching carosal  

O'Brien   - the maturity & all well rounded experience on the college and pro levels can't be ignored

Chadwell  - which would signal we are going to differentiate ourselves.  Long term success as college coach

Leipold - program developer - places program on a stable, consistent base of performance 

Nonken - differentiation 

Aranda  - still young in HC experience but very good defensive mind

Klienman  - knows our Midwest area and can secure the 500 mile radius

Campbell  -  mostly MEH at this point 

If we can't get a Big Name hire, I'd go for Chadwell in a heart beat.  Need to get a solid defensive staff that bang in the B1G, but I think his O would cause some issues.  Grant and AJ in the backfield at the same time.....Mobile QB.....

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I dont disagree with that, in theory.  However, in todays world, even if u have an A guy lined up u make the announcement in December.  Any incoming coach who is competent will not want to wait until early jan to announce theyre taking the job given the early signing period in place

Oh, no doubt...the announcement will be made right after the regular season. The guy might just not be able to start right away.