Who should our next HC be?

19 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Even if you’re not a fan of Bo, it is absurd to compare him with Mickey in terms of qualifications. Bo had at least proven that he could coach defense at a high level. He was the DC at NU, OU, and LSU before getting hired as NU’s HC. Mickey’s resume isn’t anything like that.

I had no idea that this was your opinion

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 5
  • Fire 1

14 minutes ago, skers83 said:

image.jpeg.65c2604aa3adcb2fcf17eefb6fc44990.jpeg

Is it not true that Bo’s resume was infinitely better than Mickey’s? I don’t understand all of the Bo hate on here. He didn’t exactly inherit a great program like Solich did, but he still found a way to win consistently. In his first few years with Carl as DC, the defenses were pretty solid, too. That was after Callahan completely fried NU’s defensive culture. If anyone wants to talk about underachieving like they did with Bo, they should talk about Solich. Anyone could have won with the program Solich inherited from Osborne. And yet he found a way to deliver one of the darkest days in NU history with 62-36. Not to mention he got completely destroyed by Miami in the next game. That was two games in a row on national television that NU looked like an FCS team. He was the most overrated NU coach ever.

11 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Is it not true that Bo’s resume was infinitely better than Mickey’s? I don’t understand all of the Bo hate on here. He didn’t exactly inherit a great program like Solich did, but he still found a way to win consistently. In his first few years with Carl as DC, the defenses were pretty solid, too. That was after Callahan completely fried NU’s defensive culture. If anyone wants to talk about underachieving like they did with Bo, they should talk about Solich. Anyone could have won with the program Solich inherited from Osborne. And yet he found a way to deliver one of the darkest days in NU history with 62-36. He was the most overrated NU coach ever.

I don't know who is hating on Bo. Wasn't me. But you have shown alot of hate toward Mickey the last few days.  Mickey didn't exactly inherit a graet program either. Hence my let it go response. 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 1
Just now, skers83 said:

I don't know who is hating on Bo. Wasn't me. But you have shown alot of hate toward Mickey the last few days.  Mickey didn't exactly inherit a graet program either. Hence my let it go response. 

There are a lot of people on here that seem to think Bo was mediocre for whatever reason. I’d love to have his nine win seasons back. 

• TBH 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

I've wondered the same thing about them for years, but then I remember Iowa somehow manages to attract recruits each year... and I begin to realize that life truly makes no sense.

I'm kinda bummed out about Stanford TBH. I like David Shaw quite a bit but they've been in a rough spot since 2019. His results have regressed in the last few years, too. After going to three Rose Bowls and a Fiesta in his first five years, they've only been bowl eligible now 3 of the last 7 years (including the weird COVID year) and haven't made a bowl since 2018.

It'll be interesting to see if Shaw can right the ship.  I've noticed they've started to incorporate some of the Wake Forest slow mesh concepts into their offense and I wonder if they try and make a big run at Ruggiero who is WF's OC to help them drive it home.  The rub is for that to happen, Shaw would need to clip Tavita Pritchard who is both the current OC and a Stanford alum.  I understand why Stanford would be trying this out as WF has a really similar profile to Stanford and the slow mesh is an absolute PITA to game plan for.  Watching WF this year has been a blast as they are LETHAL on offense with Hartman at QB plus 3 stud WRs.  

While I get that Stanford's lack of attendance at games is startling, even when they were rolling in the mid 2010s they still would have trouble getting people to the games.  

42 minutes ago, husker009 said:

There are a lot of people on here that seem to think Bo was mediocre for whatever reason. I’d love to have his nine win seasons back. 

Hindsight is always perfect, but if you went back to 2014 you would find zero Husker fans saying they'd be cool with Nebraska football topping out at 9-4, unranked, out Big10 contention, and with one of the worst records against ranked opponents in the Power5, typically a nationally televised embarrassment. 

Fired from Nebraska, Bo Pelini was hired by his hometown college with the full support of his old friend and AD Jim Tressel. Freed from Harvey Perleman and Nebraska expectations, Bo lasted three fewer seasons at Youngstown State than he did at Nebraska, moving on to the even friendlier comfort zone of his old job as DC at LSU, where the team posted the worst defensive numbers in its history and Bo was fired after one season. Although only 54 years old, Bo Pelini has not coached since and is rarely cited for any HC openings. 

For whatever reason.

• Plus1 4

I read an "article" suggesting that Nebraska is only interested in hiring a coach agreeable to an incentive-enhanced compensation package. The idea is that this would limit the possible coach pool. Does anyone think this is happening? I am imagining $6M plus a package that would get the right person to $8M or $9M. Maybe it's not even that good.

I get the sense that if we are not willing to pay $8M or $9M with a five to six year deal, then Mickey might be the only one who would want the job.

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

I read an "article" suggesting that Nebraska is only interested in hiring a coach agreeable to an incentive-enhanced compensation package. The idea is that this would limit the possible coach pool. Does anyone think this is happening? I am imagining $6M plus a package that would get the right person to $8M or $9M. Maybe it's not even that good.

I get the sense that if we are not willing to pay $8M or $9M with a five to six year deal, then Mickey might be the only one who would want the job.

That "article" is full of donkey poo.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

I do not see a coach out there worth more than $5 mil per year deal at Nebraska.  History shows too much turnover and buyouts. I'm talking this next hire new contract (probably 4 years $22-28 range).

Just pay him to come here doesn't feel like reality (8-9-10 mil per year).

I could be wrong, but it feels like we are going to start over from scratch.  Feels like MJ would be the ideal 3-year starter deal around $12 mil total.  And perhaps he does well and gets a great bump, or perhaps he fails and the next guy gets a super sweet deal as a "can't miss" coach.

28 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Hindsight is always perfect, but if you went back to 2014 you would find zero Husker fans saying they'd be cool with Nebraska football topping out at 9-4, unranked, out Big10 contention, and with one of the worst records against ranked opponents in the Power5, typically a nationally televised embarrassment. 

Fired from Nebraska, Bo Pelini was hired by his hometown college with the full support of his old friend and AD Jim Tressel. Freed from Harvey Perleman and Nebraska expectations, Bo lasted three fewer seasons at Youngstown State than he did at Nebraska, moving on to the even friendlier comfort zone of his old job as DC at LSU, where the team posted the worst defensive numbers in its history and Bo was fired after one season. Although only 54 years old, Bo Pelini has not coached since and is rarely cited for any HC openings. 

For whatever reason.

Hindsight isn't ALWAYS perfect.

Sometimes folks forget Pelini topped out at 10-4.

And only finished one year unranked in Coaches' Poll and two in the AP poll.

• Plus1 1