Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, admo said:

I do not see a coach out there worth more than $5 mil per year deal at Nebraska.  History shows too much turnover and buyouts. I'm talking this next hire new contract (probably 4 years $22-28 range).

Just pay him to come here doesn't feel like reality (8-9-10 mil per year).

I could be wrong, but it feels like we are going to start over from scratch.  Feels like MJ would be the ideal 3-year starter deal around $12 mil total.  And perhaps he does well and gets a great bump, or perhaps he fails and the next guy gets a super sweet deal as a "can't miss" coach.

NU paid Frost $5 million a year (before his reduced contract), so the starting point for the next coach is at least $6M+.  NU should not cheap out on the next coaching hire, even if it's Mickey.  NU needs to pay the market rate for what they think the job is worth.  Stop trying to save a few bucks.  NU has plenty of it.

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Mickey would laugh in Trev's face if that was offered to him

Maybe, and he should.  

Just an opinion as I see this coaching search going nowhere.  I know nothing.  But I firmly believe MJ is the new hire.  Time will tell my man.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, admo said:

Maybe, and he should.  

Just an opinion as I see this coaching search going nowhere.  I know nothing.  But I firmly believe MJ is the new hire.  Time will tell my man.

You think the coaching search isn't going anywhere because you may have unrealistic expectations on what the coaching search should be.  If it's not Mickey, which I don't think it will be, Trev is most likely going to hire a coach who is currently coaching somewhere.  A new coach isn't going to be hired until after Thanksgiving, which is 5 weeks from now.  We still have a ways to go, so you can continue thinking the coaching search is "going nowhere".

Trev is going to be tight-lipped during the next few weeks and let it all play out, and then the next head coach will be named shortly after Thanksgiving.  I don't know what else to tell you.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU paid Frost $5 million a year (before his reduced contract), so the starting point for the next coach is at least $6M+.  NU should not cheap out on the next coaching hire, even if it's Mickey.  NU needs to pay the market rate for what they think the job is worth.  Stop trying to save a few bucks.  NU has plenty of it.

They will be opening the pocketbooks for the HC and his assistants. Trev has mentioned money as no object on multiple occasions. Kicking Frost out instead of waiting to not pay him the 7.5 Million shows the pockets are deep and they are willing to spend if the right person aligns. 

• Plus1 4

4 hours ago, husker009 said:

The way I see it is that he could end up being either Solich or Frost. I’m not sure NU is in a position where they can afford to roll the dice on another hire. 

I think we need a guy who can recruit (this includes evaluating talent) OR can develop the hell out of the guys he recruits.  I think Mickey has shown the ability to recruit and evaluate talent.  It also seems that the guys who can recruit at a high level are also successful coaches and are considered offensive or defensive "gurus"..

As I re-read what I wrote, one thing is glaring.  Our previous HC's did a horrible job with getting legit coordinators and  position coaches. I look at MJ as a position coach, develops talent and recruits.  Applewhite, develops the RB room etc....IMHO, this is why Trev has said that we will have the largest assistant salary pool ever.  I think he realizes a part of Frost's failure was the crew of guys he brought with him.

• Oh Yeah! 1
59 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You think the coaching search isn't going anywhere because you may have unrealistic expectations on what the coaching search should be.  If it's not Mickey, which I don't think it will be, Trev is most likely going to hire a coach who is currently coaching somewhere.  A new coach isn't going to be hired until after Thanksgiving, which is 5 weeks from now.  We still have a ways to go, so you can continue thinking the coaching search is "going nowhwere".

I know what you mean, and even though I think it's MJ, and saying so with more hope than anything, I won't front and be disappointed if it's not.  I say going nowhere because I have no clue until the time comes, like you said. 

So maybe I should have said "I strongly desire MJ to be retained (CEO type HC and beef up the Assistant coaches), even though I have no idea who Trev will hire next, which could be someone with experience currently coaching somewhere" :)

• Plus1 1
Just now, lo country said:

I think we need a guy who can recruit (this includes evaluating talent) OR can develop the hell out of the guys he recruits.  I think Mickey has shown the ability to recruit and evaluate talent.  It also seems that the guys who can recruit at a high level are also successful coaches and are considered offensive or defensive "gurus"..

As I re-read what I wrote, one thing is glaring.  Our previous HC's did a horrible job with getting legit coordinators and  position coaches. I look at MJ as a position coach, develops talent and recruits.  Applewhite, develops the RB room etc....IMHO, this is why Trev has said that we will have the largest assistant salary pool ever.  I think he realizes a part of Frost's failure was the crew of guys he brought with him.

Absolutely need a high level staff to support the next HC regardless if its Mickey or an outside HC. Always surround yourself with people smarter than you. 

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, admo said:

I know what you mean, and even though I think it's MJ, and saying so with more hope than anything, I won't front and be disappointed if it's not.  I say going nowhere because I have no clue until the time comes, like you said. 

So maybe I should have said "I strongly desire MJ to be retained (CEO type HC and beef up the Assistant coaches), even though I have no idea who Trev will hire next, which could be someone with experience currently coaching somewhere" :)

You and I agree in that we hope for a CEO-type HC and a strong group of Assistant Coaches.  I have nothing against Mickey, but I just think there are better options out there for that role at Nebraska.  I want the next head coach to have Mickey on the staff as the WR coach and lead recruiter (coordinator), but not as OC.  While Mickey has done a commendable job as Interim Head Coach, I think there are better options out there, as Mickey's overall lack of leading a program is concerning to me.  

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You and I agree in that we hope for a CEO-type HC and a strong group of Assistant Coaches.  I have nothing against Mickey, but I just think there are better options out there for that role at Nebraska.  I want the next head coach to have Mickey on the staff as the WR coach and lead recruiter (coordinator), but not as OC.  While Mickey has done a commendable job as Interim Head Coach, I think there are better options out there, as Mickey's overall lack of leading a program is concerning to me.  

Yes we do, and I can be onboard with that. 

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Hindsight isn't ALWAYS perfect.

Sometimes folks forget Pelini topped out at 10-4.

And only finished one year unranked in Coaches' Poll and two in the AP poll.

Oh we would look at that 7 year record right now and put that unnamed coach in consideration for the current HC job.

But that's not how it felt in 2014. Or after that last 10-4 season in 2012. 

Nor does most of college football think Nebraska made a mistake firing Pelini. Otherwise they would have hired him.

16 minutes ago, admo said:

Maybe, and he should.  

The top guy I want is Luke Fickell, but if Mickey beats Illinois that will be huge for his candidacy. If I heard that Trev was close to a deal with Fickell today I would be angry because Trev would have not lived up to his word with Mickey. I think it is great we aren't hearing a legit leak or a peep of legit rumors. Sure the media is spewing stuff, but how much of that is for clicks? 

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

...As I re-read what I wrote, one thing is glaring.  Our previous HC's did a horrible job with getting legit coordinators and  position coaches. I look at MJ as a position coach, develops talent and recruits.  Applewhite, develops the RB room etc....IMHO, this is why Trev has said that we will have the largest assistant salary pool ever.  I think he realizes a part of Frost's failure was the crew of guys he brought with him.

An NFL staff, maybe?

All the common names being thrown out there (except Rhule, kinda), are primarily College Guys.

Ron Rivera & Mike Tomlin may be on the hot seat... potential candidates? 

We may also consider stealing a top NFL coordinator if he can bring guys who develop talent at a pro level with him.

Eric Bieniemy, Mike Kafka, Leslie Frazier or Ken Dorsey would be interesting, maybe.

IDK... it may be better to stick with someone who knows the college ranks, but interesting to discuss, as it is a possibility

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, tmfr15 said:

I read an "article" suggesting that Nebraska is only interested in hiring a coach agreeable to an incentive-enhanced compensation package. The idea is that this would limit the possible coach pool. Does anyone think this is happening? I am imagining $6M plus a package that would get the right person to $8M or $9M. Maybe it's not even that good.

I get the sense that if we are not willing to pay $8M or $9M with a five to six year deal, then Mickey might be the only one who would want the job.

Do you have a link and/or recall the source? I'd just be curious to see precisely what kind of structure they were suggesting. A lot of coaching contracts have incentives built into them for winning the conference, a bowl game, or a championship. But, the bulk sum of their salary is set in stone, and I doubt Nebraska would try to short a candidate that bulk sum (if I'm understanding the context correctly).

As for your last sentence, I have very little idea what to expect salary-wise, but I personally think $8-9 million/year for five years is a steep salary for a majority of the names we've seen suggested as coaching candidates to this point. That'd be a Top 10 salary in college football. Again, though, that's just in reference to a majority of the candidates names I've seen thrown around. There are a few (like a Lane Kiffin, just as an example) who would probably command $8-9 million/year simply based off their current salary.

My initial assumption when Frost was fired is that we were probably going to be aiming for a coach in the $6-7 million/year range. $8 million+ if they're an established name and/or someone we were trying to get away from a school that was already paying them $6-7 million/year.