Who should our next HC be?

57 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Like your approach. Creative! This is one I was playing around with last night.

The “HATE TO LOSE” Plan (Draft 1)

4 Year Contact 

Signing Bonus
$210,000

Base Salary 
$350,000/Mo
($4,200,000/Yr)

Non Conference Game Win

$187,000/Game

Conference Game Win 

$343,750/Game

Bowl Win 

$265,625

Western Division Champ

$304,688

BIG 10 Champ 

$453,032

CFP Champs  

$906,064

*Potential Total Compensation
$9,629,409

*Includes
$6,500,000

Discretionary Staff Budget

Curious, does anyone know where the hypothetical $6.5 million dollar staff budget would rank nationally? I think we need to be top 10 in that category with the next staff. 

• Fire 1

28 minutes ago, husker009 said:

Deion is a cleaner version of Urban when taken into account the kind of recruits he would bring in. Both would recruit at a similar level, but one has a much better image at the moment. I don’t think many would consider Deion a sleaze bag (as a coach at least).

Yeah, I mean their resumes are nearly identical.  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, Enhance said:

While I do agree with you, it's an asset that quickly becomes less relevant as soon you lose and lose consistently, and that's why I don't put much stock into it from a hiring standpoint. It's valuable, but, you could bank on perhaps one guaranteed off-season of value, but after a 5-7 season or even a few seasons of mediocrity... far fewer people are going to care. Saban's press runs and movie appearances were a result of winning.

What a flimsy argument. You can literally say that about every positive for any coach...it's only valuable if you're winning.

DS' recent media frenzy is a result of him being a HoF player in tandem with his Jackson State success - if it wasn't somebody with the celebrity of DS, far fewer people would care about Jackson State's football coach/program.

That's literally the point I'm making. He's getting that added publicity because he's Dion.

So yeah, the publicity and connections are great, but at this point in my 30+ years of Husker fandom... it just doesn't resonate very deeply. I'm kind of done with the off-season championships and hype before the results. That should be fairly far down the DS resumé and reasons why you'd hire him at Nebraska... probably parked right next to 'proficient with Excel.'

If you think Deion's level of national brand lift and exposure through his name recognition and connections is in line with someone's Excel skills in terms of value to a program, I don't know what to tell you.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, huskerpower22 said:

Curious, does anyone know where the hypothetical $6.5 million dollar staff budget would rank nationally? I think we need to be top 10 in that category with the next staff. 

Ohio State’s is $7.6M

Michigan roughly $6.8M

Bumped it up from $6.5M to $7.2M

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, huskerpower22 said:

18 hours ago, Red Five said:

Also, if you want the top assistants, then you pay top assistant money.

OSU pays their 10 on field assistants a combined $9M.  Alabama is $8.4M.  Florida's new staff is $7.5M.

We were at $5.2M this year.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Yeah, I mean their resumes are nearly identical.  

Well, obviously they're not even close. I think he was just saying they'll probably recruit at similar levels, but Deion doesn't have the morals and ethics question marks that Urban has.

Nice avatar by the way. Whenever I see that, it always reminds me of this (NSFW)...

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

You can literally say that about every positive for any coach...it's only valuable if you're winning.

Precisely. I'm glad we then agree that it's ultimately irrelevant.

If you think Deion's level of national brand lift and exposure through his name recognition and connections is in line with someone's Excel skills in terms of value to a program, I don't know what to tell you.

You're way too caught up in stuff that doesn't actually translate to winning football games on Saturdays in the Power 5. Virtually every Deion conversation in this thread had devolved into two paths - his recruiting and his celebrity. I think he may be a better recruiter than most off the rip, so that part I can potentially get behind even though it's no guarantee. But his celebrity or "national brand lift and exposure" isn't going to mean a thing come spring ball and fall camp. It's not going to mean a thing if they're getting truck sticked by Michigan in November.

Prove it in the fall and then yeah... bring Snoop into the locker room. Go on 60 minutes. Hell, have GMA sit in his bathroom while he has a morning deuce. But, don't try to sell us on it having anything substantive to do with actually making a Nebraska a winner again. In the long list of things that Nebraska needs to win, having a coach that can get Cheech and Chong in the locker room after a game is pretty far down the list. Maybe even below Excel proficiency.

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2
25 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Well, obviously they're not even close. I think he was just saying they'll probably recruit at similar levels, but Deion doesn't have the morals and ethics question marks that Urban has.

Yeah, Urban never ran a fraudulent high school.

• TBH 2

16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Precisely. I'm glad we then agree that it's ultimately irrelevant.

No, we don't agree. By your logic, every positive about a coach is ultimately irrelevant if they don't win. So I guess we should shut this thread down then?

You're way too caught up in stuff that doesn't actually translate to winning football games on Saturdays in the Power 5. Virtually every Deion conversation in this thread had devolved into two paths - his recruiting and his celebrity. I think he may be a better recruiter than most off the rip, so that part I can potentially get behind even though it's no guarantee. But his celebrity or "national brand lift and exposure" isn't going to mean a thing come spring ball and fall camp. It's not going to mean a thing if they're getting truck sticked by Michigan in November.

That's not true at all. There have been tons of posts by me and several other posters about cultural fit, leader of young men, person of great character, win percentage, work ethic, etc. In fact, very few have been about Deion's celebrity and most of those are people saying things like anyone who likes Deion just likes him because of his celebrity. Sorry, but you're just seeing what you want to see here.

Prove it in the fall and then yeah... bring Snoop into the locker room. Go on 60 minutes. Hell, have GMA sit in his bathroom while he has a morning deuce. But, don't try to sell us on it having anything substantive to do with actually making a Nebraska a winner again. In the long list of things that Nebraska needs to win, having a coach that can get Cheech and Chong in the locker room after a game is pretty far down the list. Maybe even below Excel proficiency.

Again, if you don't see the value in marketing, promotions, publicity, etc. in today's game, I don't know what to tell you. If everyone in the Nebraska AD thinks that way, no wonder we've sucked for so long. Is it the main ingredient to being successful? No. Does it have value? Hell yes.

Your mental gymnastics to try to discredit Deion as a solid candidate are pretty amazing. Most of the football "experts" in American seem to disagree with you.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Do you really think there's even the slightest chance that Deion Sanders will be the next HC of the Nebraska Cornhuskers? I sure don't. An African-American coach trying to garner attention for HBCUs, taking a big-$ offer to coach at one of the most white-bread schools in the country. He'd be labeled an Uncle Tom before you know it. It's just not happening.

2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Do you really think there's even the slightest chance that Deion Sanders will be the next HC of the Nebraska Cornhuskers? I sure don't. An African-American coach trying to garner attention for HBCUs, taking a big-$ offer to coach at one of the most white-bread schools in the country. He'd be labeled an Uncle Tom before you know it. It's just not happening.

Deion isnt going to be our next coach.  ya dont need to make it racial, you can just point to the fact his resume is incredibly shallow and under-qualified for this job

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

This is where I am with Deion.  Also, Deion has success gaining in-roads with stud recruits in the South because Deion is at an HBCU in the South, in close proximity to so much talent in the South.  That message is not the same if he were go to a school like Nebraska, which is not in close proximity to the talent base in the South.

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I think he'll be coaching at a P5 next year for sure. And the P5 that are available so far aren't good enough for him to consider. Realistically, he's probably not coming to Nebraska. But I can say that about a lot of top candidates (Urban, Petersen, Rhule to name a few). That said, I think he is much more qualified and checks a lot more boxes than a lot of people want to give him credit for.