Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Going strictly off memory but urban was hired before the end of the season but didn't assume the full role of the position allowing him to recruit while fickell continued as the interim. They had to get permission from the ncaa for it. Then after the season urban took full control.

The first credible report of Meyer to OSU was on 11/17.  Urban was officially hired 11/28, 2 days after their Michigan game.

What you are referring to was during their bowl prep.  Meyer didn't coach, but could recruit during December.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, desertshox said:

Going strictly off memory but urban was hired before the end of the season but didn't assume the full role of the position allowing him to recruit while fickell continued as the interim. They had to get permission from the ncaa for it. Then after the season urban took full control.

He was announced 2 days after the regular season. Then, you're right, the existing staff was left in place through the bowl game while Urban was allowed to get to work, but it was after the regular season.

On November 17, 2011, Eleven Warriors reported that Meyer would become the head coach of the Ohio State Buckeyes. Meyer denied the report publicly. Meyer then asked ESPN to be taken off assignment during the weekend of the Ohio State–Michigan game, adding more to the speculations that he might be named the next head coach of Ohio State. On November 28, WBNS Columbus confirmed that Meyer had accepted the job as Ohio State's head football coach, and was introduced as head coach later that night.

11 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I don't know all the rules, but I don't think you can announce before the end of the regular season. Just going by how OSU did it with Urban and USC did it with Riley. I can't think of a time it's ever been done but I could be wrong. I think you can probably remove the interim tag from Mickey sooner, but I don't even know about that. If we're doing that, it would be in our best interest to do it as soon as possible.

I’m sure that it can be done. The thought is that the coach can be determined and announced. I’m not suggesting that he’d be actively coaching games for us. 

12 minutes ago, Red Five said:

So an NFL coach?

That plus any assistant from a CFP team plus any head coach or assistant playing in one of a handful of January bowls. Most of those would probably be okay with announcing before they're done playing, but some would insist on keeping it quiet until they finish their season. Either way, it's a pretty big pool and shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand.

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Clay Helton was announced at GA Southern on 11/2

Good call. So, apparently there are no NCAA rules against it.

Then I'm guessing it's because most programs feel they owe it to their current team and staff to let them finish their regular season without that distraction? I think we'd owe it to our guys to let them do that. That and the fact that most coaches are currently already coaching somewhere else (Helton wasn't) make it a really rare occurrence.

8 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

That plus any assistant from a CFP team plus any head coach or assistant playing in one of a handful of January bowls. Most of those would probably be okay with announcing before they're done playing, but some would insist on keeping it quiet until they finish their season. Either way, it's a pretty big pool and shouldn't just be dismissed out of hand.

Very often, the coach is announced before his team's bowl game and an interim coach coaches the bowl game.  Unless he's in the playoffs, the coach leaves before the bowl game.

• TBH 2
13 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Tell me you don't know how college football coaching changes work without telling me you don't know how college coaching changes work.

I mean both Pelini and Frost were hired by NU and coached in January bowl games.  I can't think of one coach that wanted "to keep it quiet" through a January bowl came.  A coach would never "keep it quiet" due to losing weeks of recruiting to his new school.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Very often, the coach is announced before his team's bowl game and an interim coach coaches the bowl game.  Unless he's in the playoffs, the coach leaves before the bowl game.

Correct. And IIRC when we hired Pelini, we made the announcement after the regular season, but he stayed on with LSU through the CFP games. So, it could go down a number of ways.

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Tell me you don't know how college football coaching changes work without telling me you don't know how college coaching changes work.

I mean both Pelini and Frost were hired by NU and coached in January bowl games.  I can't think of one coach that wanted "to keep it quiet" through a January bowl came.  A coach would never "keep it quiet" due to losing weeks of recruiting to his new school.

And even more so with the early signing period and new transfer rules.

• Fire 1
19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Hahaha so you've moved the goalpost from...

1) Steve Pederson isn't running the search so it won't be into January

to

2) There are only 4 coaches coaching in January and we're not getting one of those

to

3) NFL guys?

And I don't know how college football coaching changes work?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Hahaha so you've moved the goalpost from...

1) Steve Pederson isn't running the search so it won't be into January

to

2) There are only 4 coaches coaching in January and we're not getting one of those

to

3) NFL guys?

And I don't know how college football coaching changes work?

LOL.  I haven't moved any goalposts.  You stated that the search could go into January.  I said no chance of that happening.  And I am still waiting for you to give a valid reason as to why the search will go into January.

And yes, I do not believe you understand how college football coaching changes work when you say a coach "would insist on keeping it quiet" until they finish their bowl game.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
6 minutes ago, Red Five said:

LOL.  I haven't moved any goalposts.  You stated that the search could go into January.  I said no chance of that happening.  And I am still waiting for you to give a valid reason as to why the search will go into January.

I didn't say the search could or would go into January, I said the announcement could go into January. And yes I gave valid reasons. You've already shown me you just keep changing the argument to try to fit your agenda. Now you've shown me you can't even read.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 2
13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ok, give me one valid reason that we won't announce a coach until January?

DS waits to do the announcement on time square immediately following the ball drop while Trev and Bounds sing Auld Lang Syne with an all acoustic band.

Lol, in reality the only way the announcement gets pushed to January is if someone backs out and Trev is left scrambling to find someone else.    

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

I didn't say the search could or would go into January, I said the announcement could go into January. And yes I gave valid reasons. You've already shown me you just keep changing the argument to try to fit your agenda. Now you've shown me you can't even read.

This thread is great.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1