Who should our next HC be?

There is very little chance the announcement waits until January unless it’s a current NFL coach (unlikely hire at this point) or there is a colossal failure in the hiring process. It’s such a small chance that it’s kind of ridiculous it’s even being talked about.

The goal is to absolutely have it announced before early signing day. Most head coaching announcements in the FBS happen shortly after the regular season and championship games and before the CFP.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

16 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Most head coaching announcements in the FBS happen shortly after the regular season and championship games and before the CFP.

Yes.  But the lead-up, media generated once a solid source is involved, can happen long before that.  Unless it's MJ staying on, then it may be "weaker" news.  <---- That I'm not so sure of, though.  Weaker only because it does not involve another program's coach.

• Fire 1

I'm kind of amazed that we have a half respectable recruiting class thus far - not great of course.  So, I wonder, how long does it take a new coach to assemble his staff and for all of them to hit the recruiting trail?  There isn't much time between the Iowa game and the signing date.  First off, the new staff has to have enough of a  'wow' factor to keep the current productive guys from transferring and then they need to secure the right guys to plug the holes from the transfer portal and the early signing period.   A lot of activity in just a couple of weeks.  So, I hope the next coach has such a good KNOWN reputation that he won't have to introduce or explain himself to the players, transfer targets and recruits.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, Enhance said:

There is very little chance the announcement waits until January unless it’s a current NFL coach (unlikely hire at this point) or there is a colossal failure in the hiring process. It’s such a small chance that it’s kind of ridiculous it’s even be talking about it. 

The goal is to absolutely have it announced before signing day. Most head coaching announcements in the FBS happen shortly after the regular season and championship games and before the CFP.

I will be disappointed if it is not announced the morning of Nov 26th or the 27th.  

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, gossamorharpy said:

I will be disappointed if it is not announced the morning of Nov 26th or the 27th.  

I expect an informal announcement on Sunday, Nov 27th or Monday, Nov 28th, with a press conference Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.  It will be tough to make an announcement on Saturday, Nov 26th if the new coach is still coaching on that Saturday.  Trev wouldn't want to leak anything before the coach's last game with his current team, mainly out of respect for that coach.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I expect an informal announcement on Sunday, Nov 27th or Monday, Nov 28th, with a press conference Tuesday or Wednesday of that week.  It will be tough to make an announcement on Saturday, Nov 26th if the new coach is still coaching on that Saturday.  Trev wouldn't want to leak anything before the coach's last game with his current team, mainly out of respect for that coach.

Good point.

Tho, Urban isnt coaching a team right now so might not matter! ;) 

• Haha 4
22 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would think in the next couple of weeks the rumors will heat up and maybe we will get some real ideas of who we are zeroing in on.  Although after the Riley hire we should learn to take everything with a big grain of salt until the hire is officially announced.

In my opinion we will know the head coach no later than Sunday, November 27. I have the feeling if its Mickey we will know shortly before the Iowa game and if its an outside hire we will start hearing strong rumors and rumblings the week prior to Thanksgiving since that's when the deals will more than likely be inked if my opinion holds true. With the transfer portal hitting full swing once the season is over we cannot afford to not have a staff in place at that point. 

• Fire 1

37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It could get pushed a week due to a coach being in a conference champ game, but I would think by then we would know based on reports who it is.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If we don't have someone in place by December 5 it will be a colossal failure.

They have to be on the road recruiting so they are ready for signing day.

You sure a coach wouldn't want to keep it secret that he is taking the NU job until after his bowl game?

• Haha 1