Who should our next HC be?

11 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

He’s probably a candidate to be HC at Colorado 

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Beat me to it. Probably the leading candidate at Colorado at this point. 

It would be really interesting to see stats of when a really good coordinator takes a HC job, do those schools still succeed in the side of the ball where they were a really great coordinator previously?

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

It would be really interesting to see stats of when a really good coordinator takes a HC job, do those schools still succeed in the side of the ball where they were a really great coordinator previously?

I don’t know but I’ve never felt like you should hire for either one as a head coach. I don’t want a defensive minded coach…or an offensive minded coach. I just want a winning minded coach

22 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I think this hire is basically an opportunity for CU to hire an alum who is doing well, and if he has any success, he could stick around in Boulder for a while. I think CU still feels pretty burned from Midnight Mel’s departure.

To answer your question, I am not sure about the overall numbers, but Bob Stoops turned around OU’s D in the late 90s, Bo did well with NU’s D in 2009-2010, and Kirby Smart has made UGa a tough minded, defensive oriented unit. It will be interesting to see what happens with Venables at OU. 

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

So, just to be clear…you think Mickey is the best we can do (you might be right)…or you think Mickey is the best option (you couldn’t be more wrong)? Not trying to be snarky at all, but there’s a difference.

Yall know what I think.  I can live happily being wrong. :)

How about you answer a question?  Or any of yall answer it..?

Tell me which head coach will give up their current success, happiness, and paycheck, and whatever they built for their current program, and walk away for the opportunity to coach at Nebraska.  

If you can answer that the way I have do before, I would respect it.  

Who?  Who is successful head coach right now, and will give that up, for Nebraska.  Trev and I will wait for your answer.  Please be sure to make it realistic.  It's an easy question that you or someone else has the answer.   

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, admo said:

Tell me which head coach will give up their current success, happiness, and paycheck, and whatever they built for their current program, and walk away for the opportunity to coach at Nebraska.  

Who?  Who is successful head coach right now, and will give that up, for Nebraska.  Trev and I will wait for your answer.  Please be sure to make it realistic.  It's an easy question that you apparently have the answer.  Floating names and Assistant coaches means nothing. 

That was a serious question. There’s a big difference between the best we can get and the best option.

Fair enough though, I’ll answer. Better possible realistic options (in no particular order)…

-Urban

-Rhule

-Deion

-Petersen

-Kiffin

-Fickell

-Someone big off the radar (Lincoln Riley/Brian Kelly type deal) who none of us are thinking of

And honestly, after that, I’m with you. Give me Mickey over the generic run of the mill rinse and repeat names I’ve seen thrown around.

I will give you this…if it’s not one of the 8 names above, we’re probably having this same conversation in 3-5 years.

Does that answer your question?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, admo said:

Who?  Who is successful head coach right now, and will give that up, for Nebraska.  Trev and I will wait for your answer.  Please be sure to make it realistic.  It's an easy question that you or someone else has the answer.   

And here in lies the issue.  I'll throw out a few quick names:

Aranda

Leipold

Klieman

Doeren

DeBoer

Chadwell (I just really like him:D)

You bring up a very valid point.  They are at a place having good success or at a place where 8-9 wins a years is status quo and completely acceptable.  Why leave?  NU is a dumpster fire. I think that the admn, boosters and fan base will not give the next guy 5 years to figure it out.  Frost should've been on a SHORT leash in 2020 and gone after that crap show season.  Which guy above would want that?  Chadwell for the money?

Maybe we have to look at a G5 coach (Chadwell:D), Sanders, an up and coming coordinator or MJ? 

MJ might not be the "best", but he might be the "best" we can get and more importantly might be the "best" guy for the job.  Because maybe the "best" we can get might not actually be the "best" for the job.....I like MJ.  I'd like to see what he could do with his staff and roster.  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, lo country said:

Aranda

Leipold

Klieman

Doeren

DeBoer

You bring up a very valid point.  They are at a place having good success or at a place where 8-9 wins a years is status quo and completely acceptable.  Why leave?  NU is a dumpster fire. I think that the admn, boosters and fan base will not give the next guy 5 years to figure it out.  Frost should've been on a SHORT leash in 2020 and gone after that crap show season.  Which guy above would want that?  Chadwell for the money?

Maybe we have to look at a G5 coach (Chadwell:D), Sanders, an up and coming coordinator or MJ? 

MJ might not be the "best", but he might be the "best" we can get and more importantly might be the "best" guy for the job.  Because maybe the "best" we can get might not actually be the "best" for the job.....I like MJ.  I'd like to see what he could do with his staff and roster.  

Love your thoughts. Spot on. Your list of better options is wrong though. None of them moves the needle at all for the position we’re in.

Actually, I might even give you Chadwell. He at least brings something different to the table.

It’s probably my list, then Chadwell, then Mickey. Then all the other generic names who won’t even come close to moving the needle enough to get us out from under what we’ve become. Sad, but true.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

That was a serious question. There’s a big difference between the best we can get and the best option.

Fair enough though, I’ll answer. Better possible realistic options (in no particular order)…

-Urban - Not Coaching

-Rhule -  Not Coaching

-Deion -  FCS HBCU

-Petersen - Not Coaching

-Kiffin - Ole Miss - Nice!

-Fickell - G5

-Someone big off the radar (Lincoln Riley/Brian Kelly type deal) who none of us are thinking of

And honestly, after that, I’m with you. Give me Mickey over the generic run of the mill rinse and repeat names I’ve seen thrown around.

I will give you this…if it’s not one of the 8 names above, we’re probably having this same conversation in 3-5 years.

Does that answer your question?

No, not really.  You gave me this:

-Urban - Not Coaching

-Rhule -  Not Coaching

-Deion -  FCS HBCU

-Petersen - Not Coaching

-Fickell - G5

My question was:

Tell me which head coach will give up their current success, happiness, and paycheck, and whatever they built for their current program, and walk away just to coach at Nebraska.  

I would love Kiffin.  I do not see it happening, but man that would be so awesome!

I would be okay with Fickell.  Seems to do well in the G5 scope of football.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Love your thoughts. Spot on. Your list of better options is wrong though. None of them moves the needle at all for the position we’re in.

Actually, I might even give you Chadwell. He at least brings something different to the table.

It’s probably my list, then Chadwell, then Mickey. Then all the other generic names who won’t even come close to moving the needle enough to get us out from under what we’ve become. Sad, but true.

Was thinking of guys that have been bantered around that are currently HC's.  Sadly, I take off my Husker colored glasses and truly wonder what guy with a solid rep would come here.  I am unsure if Frost even gets an offer to coach at a HS after how bad he was.  An "up and comer" ends up here and pulls a Frost, they are done.  No one is looking to hire them.  It's going to be interesting for sure.

1 hour ago, lo country said:

Aranda

Leipold

Klieman

Doeren

DeBoer

And here in lies the issue. I'll throw out a few quick names:

Aranda - Baylor is better job; UT and OU leaving conference.  Nice

Leipold - G5 Buffalo... 1st year P5, at Kansas.  Are we seriously saying this is the best for Nebraska?

Klieman - KSU is a better job.  UT and OU leaving conference. Which is like saying "Ohio State and Michigan leaving Big Ten.  And no USC or UCLA"

Doeren - 7-9 wins per year in ACC;  Not too bad, Not great either.

DeBoer - Head coach since Covid 2020.  Onto his 2nd team.

Chadwell (I just really like him:D) - I like him too, G5 - but that's probably the best we can hope for....I guess.

But I do appreciate it LoCountry

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, admo said:

-Urban - Not Coaching

-Rhule -  Not Coaching

-Deion -  FCS HBCU

-Petersen - Not Coaching

-Fickell - G5

My question was:

Tell me which head coach will give up their current success, happiness, and paycheck, and whatever they built for their current program, and walk away just to coach at Nebraska.  

I would love Kiffin.  I do not see it happening, but man that would be so awesome!

Okay, sorry. I read your post more as a metaphorical “who would leave their sweet gig that’s better than Mickey.” If you’re narrowing it to what you’re saying…then why?

1 minute ago, admo said:

I'll throw out a few quick names:

Aranda - Baylor is better job; UT and OU leaving conference.  Nice

Leipold - G5 Buffalo... 1st year P5, at Kansas.  Are we seriously saying this is the best for Nebraska?

Klieman - KSU is a better job.  UT and OU leaving conference.

Doeren - 7-9 wins per year in ACC;  Not too bad, Not great either.

DeBoer - Head coach since Covid 2020.  Onto his 2nd team.

Chadwell (I just really like him:D) - I like him to, G5 - but that's probably the best we can hope for....I guess.

8 minutes ago, admo said:

-Urban - Not Coaching

-Rhule -  Not Coaching

-Deion -  FCS HBCU

-Petersen - Not Coaching

-Fickell - G5

My question was:

I agree with the above.  I don't see the guys on the top post leaving to come to NU.  Great point about OU and Texas leaving the Big 12, makes it easier for TCU, Baylor or OSU to win.   Maybe Chadwell is our guy...

In regards to the 2nd post, I forgot about Luke and Lane.  I think both would be great hires.  I think that Luke has got it made at Cincy.  Lane seems to have issues with salary because of Mississippi law if I am reading correctly.  He might be the "best" that we could lure away.  

• Plus1 1