Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree with the above.  I don't see the guys on the top post leaving to come to NU.  Great point about OU and Texas leaving the Big 12, makes it easier for TCU, Baylor or OSU to win.   Maybe Chadwell is our guy...

In regards to the 2nd post, I forgot about Luke and Lane.  I think both would be great hires.  I think that Luke has got it made at Cincy.  Lane seems to have issues with salary because of Mississippi law if I am reading correctly.  He might be the "best" that we could lure away.  

Chadwell recruiting against the B1G heavyweights on OL and DL?

Nope.

9 hours ago, admo said:

I'll throw out a few quick names:

Aranda - Baylor is better job; UT and OU leaving conference.  Nice

Leipold - G5 Buffalo... 1st year P5, at Kansas.  Are we seriously saying this is the best for Nebraska?

Klieman - KSU is a better job.  UT and OU leaving conference.

Doeren - 7-9 wins per year in ACC;  Not too bad, Not great either.

DeBoer - Head coach since Covid 2020.  Onto his 2nd team.

Chadwell (I just really like him:D) - I like him too, G5 - but that's probably the best we can hope for....I guess.

Pretty accurate assessment of that list. Respect

/fistbumpemoji

Edit to add that I'd say most of those names don't move the needle enough to be an upgrade over Mickey.

• Plus1 2

9 hours ago, admo said:

Yall know what I think.  I can live happily being wrong. :)

How about you answer a question?  Or any of yall answer it..?

Tell me which head coach will give up their current success, happiness, and paycheck, and whatever they built for their current program, and walk away for the opportunity to coach at Nebraska.  

If you can answer that the way I have do before, I would respect it.  

Who?  Who is successful head coach right now, and will give that up, for Nebraska.  Trev and I will wait for your answer.  Please be sure to make it realistic.  It's an easy question that you or someone else has the answer.   

As I said a few pages back, you would make a terrible AD.  This is just a loser mentality.

Due to the money involved (not just for the head coach, but also for staff and resources), a mid-tier B1G coaching job is better than 80% of all non-SEC/B1G jobs.  And the NU job is better than a handful of B1G/SEC jobs.

And people have given you valid names, but you just shrug them off with "not coming" or "not experienced" or "not good enough".

Also you lose all credibility when you call KSU a better job than NU.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

NU is the best job out of the schools that have a bad recruiting base.  We know that.

Out of all the schools in the Big Ten NU is as of right now, 3rd/4th in terms of recruiting.  Once USC/UCLA join it will be 5th/6th. At worst

In the Big Ten NU will be top 3 in terms in NIL though.  Possibly top 2 behind OSU.

Everything is in place at NU to not only win (See Bo) but win big.

Indiana, Purdue, Minny (Check the records, PJ is the same as the two guys before him), Illinois, Rutgers, Maryland, MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, NW...none of those teams are getting "better" than the best season that they have had in the last 20 years, they just aren't and you can argue they will, for the most part, get worse or stay where they have been.  

USC adds a very tough game.  UCLA has the image of being a good team but check it out over the years, they usually are pretty average.  

The top 12 will start to make the playoffs and that will include 2-4 teams from the Big Ten.  You can "pen" in OSU, you can pencil in Michigan.  After that...it will be USC, PSU (some years) and NU (if they just get a Bo type coach) competing for spots 3-4.

• Plus1 5
9 hours ago, admo said:

Tell me which head coach will give up their current success, happiness, and paycheck, and whatever they built for their current program, and walk away for the opportunity to coach at Nebraska.  

Who?  Who is successful head coach right now, and will give that up, for Nebraska.  Trev and I will wait for your answer.  Please be sure to make it realistic.  It's an easy question that you or someone else has the answer.   

Lincoln Riley did it last year. USC wasn’t quite the dumpster fire as Neb but they weren’t setting the world on fire either. Yes USC has the recruiting base but Neb has a lot of other benefits of its own

9 hours ago, admo said:

As was said earlier in the week, Mark Stoops or Dave Aranda and potentially Mickey.

By 10:50 AM Monday November 21st!

Also, others expressed their preference for Lane Kiffin. 

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

I mean .... technically whoever we get is because we couldn't get anyone better.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

not if the person we get is the best option :thumbs

I know y'all are just messing around, but I do think whoever we end up with will be a pretty good indication of the state of the program. If we're swinging and missing on top candidates and have to settle for some lower tier option (nothing leads me to believe we are at this point), it'll be very concerning. That probably means we aren't as attractive as we all think. Highly unlikely we get a head scratcher Mike Riley type because he was actually our first choice. The market will tell us our worth on this one (assuming money is not a factor, we're offering big budget for assistants, etc. as we've all been told).

9 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Lincoln Riley did it last year. USC wasn’t quite the dumpster fire as Neb but they weren’t setting the world on fire either. Yes USC has the recruiting base but Neb has a lot of other benefits of its own

Lincoln made a smart move.  More money with way less pressure and at the time, a horses#!t conference.  

• Plus1 1

Maybe it's just me, but I do not think NU is the "destination" coaching job we make it out to be.  We are now potentially going into year 6 without a bowl game.....Have a horrific record in the B1G.  Unsure which teams we have a winning record against.  Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana?  Illinois on the rise.  We are quickly becoming a bottom feeder in the B1G and potentially in the P5 right now.  Been a Husker fan for a long, long time, but the Husker brand has been tarnished by Riley and Frost.  

Most wining coaches have egos.  Maybe this would get one to come here, but looking at where they are, what they have and the expectations boosters, fans, etc have on them is no where near this fan base.  We are 400+ pages into a new coaching search.  Unsure any of the schools whose coaches we are looking at would be anywhere close to this number.

As @admo mentioned regarding the moves of OU and Texas to the SEC making it "easier" in the Big 12 to win.  Now look at the B1G adding USC and UCLA.  The road just got harder to win in the B1G.  At least for NU in it's current state.  That's an uphill battle for any coach. Throw in we are basically dead last in defensive categories and one of the worst OL's going (and no depth) we are in a complete rebuild mode for a new coach.  Advantage for MJ is that he is the ringmaster of the circus snd should know better than anyone what we need.  

I wouldn't rule out a "home run" hire, but I am tempering my expectations. We need an ace recruiter (Urb/Deion) or a guy who can make chicken salad out of chicken crap and develop the talent that we have on paper that Frost and Co were unable to develop.  

Red Five sed:  "Tell me which head coach will give up their current success, happiness, and paycheck, and whatever they built for their current program, and walk away for the opportunity to coach at Nebraska."

Not a soul, the way you put it, "..success, happiness.." 

But, happiness is the biggy.  Perhaps we could try to think about how many successful coaches out there who are not happy in their circumstances but say they are.  I can't name any.. but Nebraska coaching searches have that right at the center, wrapped in layers of dollars and promises of something more than generic happiness. 

9 hours ago, lo country said:

I agree with the above.  I don't see the guys on the top post leaving to come to NU.  Great point about OU and Texas leaving the Big 12, makes it easier for TCU, Baylor or OSU to win.   Maybe Chadwell is our guy...

In regards to the 2nd post, I forgot about Luke and Lane.  I think both would be great hires.  I think that Luke has got it made at Cincy.  Lane seems to have issues with salary because of Mississippi law if I am reading correctly.  He might be the "best" that we could lure away.  

I’d be very happy with the LaneTrain and I don’t think Chadwell is that big of a drop as some are picturing. Yes he is G5 now but so were many of the other options prior to their current gig— plus he brings a different style of play to the conference that would set us apart. Yes I prefer good current P5 experience but I don’t think Chadwell would be a big letdown. He would be much more experienced tan Frost was when he took the job

Another wild thought: what about Coach O taking the job.  With the Coleman commitment I b

wonder if there is a chance of MJ reuniting wt Coach O and bringing that LSU success up north  Also including Busch from that coaching staff 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, lo country said:

As @admo mentioned regarding the moves of OU and Texas to the SEC making it "easier" in the Big 12 to win.  Now look at the B1G adding USC and UCLA.  The road just got harder to win in the B1G.

Totally disagree in the 12 team playoff world.

1, maybe 2, Big 12 teams will get into the playoff each year.

3, maybe 4, Big Ten teams will get into the playoff each year.  

Also the money difference between conferences is going to be HUGE in the coming few years.  There is going to be a Big D!(k 2, Middle 3, and then G5.  That money just means way more resources.  The recruiting budgets will be night and day different.  Hell, the B1G is floating revenue sharing with players.