Who should our next HC be?

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

But, other than the fact that Mickey is a former Husker and he’s a great recruiter, what else about Mickey stands outs above more experienced head coaches. 

Admittedly, I can't give you a square answer anymore than you can probably state which experienced coaches started as an in-season interim with a dumpster fire team, immediately turned it around that season, and became what we could probably agree on as a "successful" coach.

Being a former Husker (in the sense of one that seems to want Nebraska to succeed for the sake of Nebraska) and being a great recruiter are outstanding in and of themselves.  

I think he possesses qualities like Preparedness, Relatability, Hardnosed, Winner..I could keep going. Depending on which experienced coach you liken those qualities, he either compares or surpasses. 

This doesn't mean I think he's necessarily the best or only choice. it just mean I more willing to judge him on some positive qualities rather than only the outcomes of games for a program he's been part of for a matter of months, and only somewhat in charge of for 3-4 games.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Can we all finally agree that Mickey Joseph isn't the guy?

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

There are still a few holdouts, which I don't get at all.

I’m not saying Mickey is the guy. Not at all. But what did you guys think he could really do with the pile of s#!t he got stuck with? No OL. No DL. No options to backup Thompson. A team that tackles like dogs#!t. A team that is slower than molasses….and weak. Really there was no chance at all for Mickey to prove himself. Nick effin Saban could’ve been the interim coach and he wouldn’t have gotten any different results.

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 3

For me, its just the inconsistent tone and judgments in some posters' comments. It insults our collective intelligence. 

'The Illinois game NOW shows us that Mickey is ABSOLUTELY not qualified to be the guy'

Then we'll see names throw out as quality candidates with worse losses on their resume than #17 Illinois. 

But, sure, okay buddy, Mickey sucks.

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1

19 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

For me, its just the inconsistent tone and judgments in some posters' comments. It insults our collective intelligence. 

'The Illinois game NOW shows us that Mickey is ABSOLUTELY not qualified to be the guy'

Then we'll see names throw out as quality candidates with worse losses on their resume than #17 Illinois. 

But, sure, okay buddy, Mickey sucks.

From the day Mickey was hired as Interim Head Coach, I thought it was a good choice to lead the rest of the year but he shouldn’t be a serious candidate for the full time job. Mickey has done well to rally the players and be basically the opposite of Frost with the media and preaching accountability. However, I haven’t seen anything ON THE FIELD that makes me think that Mickey is making a difference with this team. Yes, it’s tough on Mickey to go out with this crappy team, but that’s the deal. This program is needing a complete overhaul and new voice. I don’t see how hiring with such limited experience is the best choice. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

5 years ago before Frost was hired everybody was like, "we need to build our lines, develop and create depth". 5 years later to today and we still need that done. 

I'm at the point, especially with NIL money, where I want half of our recruiting classes to be made up of o and d linemen, find the best coaches at those positions. That way even if they are losing 3,4, 5, even 6 games a year, at least I can be like, "but those lines though. Those are nice!". 

I dont feel like I'm asking for much. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, NebraskaHarry said:

5 years ago before Frost was hired everybody was like, "we need to build our lines, develop and create depth". 5 years later to today and we still need that done. 

I'm at the point, especially with NIL money, where I want half of our recruiting classes to be made up of o and d linemen, find the best coaches at those positions. That way even if they are losing 3,4, 5, even 6 games a year, at least I can be like, "but those lines though. Those are nice!". 

I dont feel like I'm asking for much. 

Funny you say that, I have always thought why doesn't a school, for 1 year, go to the top OL recruits in the country and say, "we are picking you 5 and you will all start this year"...be the Fab 5 of OL

• Oh Yeah! 1

43 minutes ago, GhostOfMoos said:

Fred Hoiberg looking to transition fields. Might be worth a look.

Mike Leach will also do anything for money, but you run-the-ball hicks would have rectal prolapse within 2 days of his hiring. 

We've been trying to pass for nearly 20 years. Maybe us run-the-ball hicks have always been right.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
23 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

From the day Mickey was hired as Interim Head Coach, I thought it was a good choice to lead the rest of the year but he shouldn’t be a serious candidate for the full time job. Mickey has done well to rally the players and be basically the opposite of Frost with the media and preaching accountability. However, I haven’t seen anything ON THE FIELD that makes me think that Mickey is making a difference with this team. Yes, it’s tough on Mickey to go out with this crappy team, but that’s the deal. This program is needing a complete overhaul and new voice. I don’t see how hiring with such limited experience is the best choice. 

While I'm not reading to write off Mickey (especially just based off today's results), I understand his drawbacks and your reasoning against him getting the job.