Who should our next HC be?

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU has fallen behind in the last 3 games coached by Mickey. How does that show that one of his strengths is “preparedness”. 

Ability to be prepped for all aspects of coaching only equates to never falling behind in games? That's a very narrow window to define one's preparation ability. If we're simply going to look at game results and nothing else, the team has seemed to be better prepared than under the previous coach, and today's scheme was going okay until Thompson injury and the baffling decision to stick with Purdy. (Mickey was probably to soft in not taking the game out of Whipple's hands.) 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

Ability to be prepped for all aspects of coaching only equates to never falling behind in games? That's a very narrow window to define one's preparation ability. If we're simply going to look at game results and nothing else, the team has seemed to be better prepared than under the previous coach, and today's scheme was going okay until Thompson injury and the baffling decision to stick with Purdy. (Mickey was probably to soft in not taking the game out of Whipple's hands.) 

Getting in an early hole in the game is a measure of being ready for what the opponent is going to do on offense and having a good offensive script to start the game. That’s the definition of being prepared. Also, where else am I supposed to look to measure the preparation of the team, other than the games. Finally, being better than the worst coach in modern history of NU football is a low bar, and shouldn’t be used as why Mickey should be hired. 

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I’m not saying Mickey is the guy. Not at all. But what did you guys think he could really do with the pile of s#!t he got stuck with? No OL. No DL. No options to backup Thompson. A team that tackles like dogs#!t. A team that is slower than molasses….and weak. Really there was no chance at all for Mickey to prove himself. Nick effin Saban could’ve been the interim coach and he wouldn’t have gotten any different results.

Although I agree, I think it's unfortunately the nature of being an interim, and I personally don't believe that MJ was really ever a serious contender for the position unless he played into contention.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, but I think MJ was brought into the program, made assistant HC, and ultimately interim HC as more of a protective measure than a visualization measure. If he somehow did well and earned the right to be considered, that'd be a good problem. But I don't think Trev or really anybody truthfully expected MJ to do that well. That's not an indictment against MJ, either.

After today, I feel fairly confident whatever chances MJ had are at their lowest yet. He will likely go 2-7 or at best 3-6 this season as interim, and I think it would be really hard for Trev to look Husker nation in the face in December and be like "yep that's our guy!" It's not fair to MJ, but it's also the nature of the situation IMO.

• Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Although I agree, I think it's unfortunately the nature of being an interim, and I personally don't believe that MJ was really ever a serious contender for the position unless he played into contention.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, but I think MJ was brought into the program, made assistant HC, and ultimately interim HC as more of a protective measure than a visualization measure. If he somehow did well and earned the right to be considered, that'd be a good problem. But I don't think Trev or really anybody truthfully expected MJ to do that well. That's not an indictment against MJ, either.

After today, I feel fairly confident whatever chances MJ had are at their lowest yet. He will likely go 2-7 or at best 3-6 this season as interim, and I think it would be really hard for Trev to look Husker nation in the face in December and be like "yep that's our guy!" It's not fair to MJ, but it's also the nature of the situation IMO.

I think some people are acting like Mickey not getting the full time head coaching job is the same as him getting fired from the head coaching job. He’s the “temporary” head coach, by the definition of his title.

Now, I credit Mickey for taking on the responsibilities of a full time head coach, but he would have had to win a number of games to make a compelling argument for Trev to remove the Interim tag. That’s not happening so far, and probably not likely to happen in NU’s last 4 games. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 2
4 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Oh I agree. I’m not saying he has done anything to be seriously considered. I’m just saying he never really had a chance. I believe he would’ve had to get bowl eligible to be considered and the reality is that was never a possibility. Just sucks for him because it really has nothing to do with how capable he may or may not actually be.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Getting in an early hole in the game is a measure of being ready for what the opponent is going to do on offense and having a good offensive script to start the game. That’s the definition of being prepared. Also, where else am I supposed to look to measure the preparation of the team, other than the games. Finally, being better than the worst coach in modern history of NU football is a low bar, and shouldn’t be used as why Mickey should be hired. 

1. Yes, its a single point to define preparedness. Literally every coach has fallen behind in games in their career; even lost some of them. ;) 

2. He shows preparedness in ways he interacts with the media, the way the team responds to him (doesn't guarantee victory), his recruiting prowess.

3. Agree about low bar, yet nobody is stating it should absolutely be Mickey's job versus the unknown list of coaches where mutual interest in the job exists. 

• Plus1 3
28 minutes ago, M.A. said:

That dude's a troll. 

As for running vs. passing, both being legitimate threats is ideal. 

True, it's ideal, but we've never been successful at both. We will never out-recruit, out-spread, or out-athlete Ohio State and Michigan. But we CAN match them physically if we focus completely on the offensive line and a unique running attack.

I'm coming around on Aranda, though. He coaches a very physical attack, solid defense. We could do worse than him, for sure.

• TBH 1
10 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Oh I agree. I’m not saying he has done anything to be seriously considered. I’m just saying he never really had a chance. I believe he would’ve had to get bowl eligible to be considered and the reality is that was never a possibility. Just sucks for him because it really has nothing to do with how capable he may or may not actually be.

Yes, Mickey went into a crappy situation, but this was an opportunity to be a head coach. He has the choice of staying at NU as WR coach (assuming the next coach offers him to stay on), go be an assistant coach elsewhere, or if he has the bug to be the head coach, he can look for a G5 school to get experience at that level. 

• TBH 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

True, it's ideal, but we've never been successful at both. We will never out-recruit, out-spread, or out-athlete Ohio State and Michigan. But we CAN match them physically if we focus completely on the offensive line and a unique running attack.

I'm coming around on Aranda, though. He coaches a very physical attack, solid defense. We could do worse than him, for sure.

This is the key.  Unless we get Urb or Prime, we won't.  But we can be more physical.  A team that might not out class them, but one that can beat their a$$.  That's what we need.  Recruit/develop to the best of our ability, but make sure that were are the toughest mofo's on the field.  We can't make a player more talented, but we can make them stronger, faster and tougher.  

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
32 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I still like Mickey. I think Mickey will recruit well and hire stud coordinators. I think guys like Klieman, Campbell and Leipold will hire buddies and hope it works - like they always have. 

Why do you think Mickey would or could hire stud coordinators?  

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, Mickey went into a crappy situation, but this was an opportunity to be a head coach. He has the choice of staying at NU as WR coach (assuming the next coach offers him to stay on), go be an assistant coach elsewhere, or if he has the bug to be the head coach, he can look for a G5 school to get experience at that level. 

Yep, those are his options. I was just getting a little fed up with those who were using this loss or the previous loss as evidence he isn’t cut out for a HC job. And I agree, this job, the next HC, needs somebody with a proven record of resurrecting a program. It is a total rebuild start again situation. MJ never had that type experience working in his favor. But not winning with this s#!t sandwich of a team doesn’t reflect on him at all. And that isn’t an indictment of the players either. It’s the result of Frost and his buddies and his S&C guy accomplishing jack s#!t with the time they had.

• Plus1 2