Who should our next HC be?

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder now if that would be the case.  He's tasted the ugliness of the NFL and Saban has coached him up on college ball. 

I can see Aranda but I have a hard time seeing Stoops moving - he is king of the hill at Ky. 

Additionally, Campbell, O’Brien, Doeren, Rhule, Leipold and Kiffin have all likely had serious discussions as well. Fleck is probably bogus. 

At one time Auburn was a good to really good job.  Since Saban, its really tough.  I would take a shot at it, especially knowing that someday Saban willl retire.  Once Saban retires the SEC will be wide open for schools like Texas and OU as well.  Right now its not a better job, and also not a worse job.  They are more relevant in recent history, but not much more than that.

• Fire 2

We act like we're competing for available coaches, when the likelihood is that half of these guys will stay put, and the other half might prefer one of the other available slots.

Nebraska has a fighting chance for some of the big names, but we really have no idea how far down Trev's list he'll have to go or how much he'll have to pony up. 

And if we decide we have to "settle" for Campbell, why do we assume he'd prefer Nebraska over Iowa State? Or that Leipold has no stake in staying at Kansas?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

We act like we're competing for available coaches, when the likelihood is that half of these guys will stay put, and the other half might prefer one of the other available slots.

Nebraska has a fighting chance for some of the big names, but we really have no idea how far down Trev's list he'll have to go or how much he'll have to pony up. 

And if we decide we have to "settle" for Campbell, why do we assume he'd prefer Nebraska over Iowa State? Or that Leipold has no stake in staying at Kansas?

Are you a sports reporter? Don’t lie!

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder now if that would be the case.  He's tasted the ugliness of the NFL and Saban has coached him up on college ball. 

I can see Aranda but I have a hard time seeing Stoops moving - he is king of the hill at Ky. 

John Calipari is king of the hill at Kentucky. Football is an afterthought compared to basketball.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Same. I have no doubt he'd retain Mickey and assemble an amazing staff. Dude is all business

The SI article confirmed that TA has a clause that the next guy (HC) has to retain Mickey.  

So you don't gotta hope no more about that.  

We can put that hoping process to bed.  And strictly think about who will be the next HC.  Because Mikey will be here regardless.

31 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Big 10 schools are going to be getting twice as much as Big 12 schools in TV money.   That extra money makes Big 10/SEC vastly preferable from a coaching standpoint.  Higher salary for head coach, more money for assistant coaches/S&C/analysts, higher recruiting budgets, better facilities.  And higher levels of TV money means that boosters can focus more on NIL instead of funding the football program.

A mid level Big 10/SEC job is going to be better than 80% of all ACC/Big 12/Pac 10 jobs.

16 minutes ago, admo said:

The SI article confirmed that TA has a clause that the next guy (HC) has to retain Mickey.  

That is not at all what it says.  If a new coach is hired Mickey goes back to his original contract he signed this past winter.  So if the new coach doesn't want him he would get a 2 year buyout (2023-2024 salary).

• Plus1 7