Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Huh?  I am not 100% against Urban, but he’s a long-shot. He brings a lot of baggage that I’m not sure Trev wants to deal with. Trev wants to bring in a coach who’s going to be fully dedicated to the job, and Urban was not that at Jacksonville, and left 2 jobs pretty suddenly in college. Urban is a short-term idea. 

I understand he brings baggage but you know and I know that certain their are programs out there that would give him a chance to redeem his career. He is a national championship caliber coach so I would take his 4 or 5 years out of him. Least you get disciplined sound football and not have almost 600 yards gained on you at all.

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im sorry but Bob Stoops would be a sure fire hire. Oklahoma and Nebraska territories are pretty much the same. If it is my understanding he got ran out from that program bc Oklahoma didn't want to lose Lincoln Riley. Now say what you want about Lincoln Riley but Bob Stoops never had a losing season that I can remember and regardless if they lost high caliber bowl games they were always in the picture. How Oklahoma treated him and then asking him to come back and coach one game and doing that really speaks volumes if his character. 

I’d like Stoops. I think he’d put together a legit staff. He can go head to head vs Riley at USC in the new B1G.  Not sure he is down for it but it could be his last hurrah. I think the fan base would know he may be a shorter term fix but groom the next coach on his staff.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand he brings baggage but you know and I know that certain their are programs out there that would give him a chance to redeem his career. He is a national championship caliber coach so I would take his 4 or 5 years out of him. Least you get disciplined sound football and not have almost 600 yards gained on you at all.

Yes. He would be better than Frost, but so would a rock.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Urb hasn’t been out recruiting in 4+ years and his last job was as a failed NFL coach that didn’t last 1 season. Was Urb known as the ace recruiter or was it guys on his staff. 

That is irrelevant. His name carries weight. Nfl and college football are 2 totally different profession. Urb doesn't have to be a ace recruiter he knows how to coach. Did you forget he established himself at Utah first? He knows how to coach and for Nebraska fans to say well he doesn't fit the culture or look at his past its fair but he can't be any worse then the last four coaches here.

Back after a long break for the discussion on who the next coach should be. A few thoughts.

1: I don't buy that Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops actually have any interest in coaching at Nebraska. It's a moot point.

2: I'd try Chris Petersen, but it's probably a long shot too.

3: The Big 10 and SEC will make so much more money than the other conference with the ever-increasing TV deals, that I'd try and get a coach from the ACC, Big 12 or Pac 12. Tell them to join Nebraska (or the Big 10 or SEC in general) or get left WAY behind like the Big East did. And Nebraska should be able to pay any of those coaches very handsomely.

4: Get an identity again. I'm not sure the triple option is the best choice, but I like the idea of at least being good every year at SOMETHING. Specifically, since it's important in the division, I'd make having big-a$$ and tough lineman a priority. We used to be good at that.

5: Besides money, part of getting a good coach is the AD's ability to recruit the coach and sell him on a vision. I don't know if Trev is good at that or not. Hopefully he is.

6: My picks would be Kyle Wittingham, Dava Aranda, Bronco Mendenhall (don't know if he wants to unretire), Kalani Sitake or Matt Campbell. Hopefully get to a bowl by year 2 or 3. Get at least as good as Iowa, Minnesota and (hopefully) Wisconsin on the lines. Start winning 7-9 games. Then, hopefully, use Nebraska's ability to recruit better than the other schools to take the next step.

7: I can't believe I'm saying this, but they've been so bad since 2015, that I'm fine with kissing the elusive dream of national titles good bye. Let's get to a bowl game. Then try to get to winning 7-9 games regularly. Then I'll worry about the stuff after that.

• Plus1 2

You don't know until you try with any coach out there and everybody seems to forget that Nebraska football was built on excellence. Nebraska players and fans deserve the very best. Nebraska players built this program with hard work and toughness. Urban Meyer overall coaching record is 187-32. Now i understand he was in so called recruiting hotbeds but recruiting can only get you so far, coaching does come into play. I don't understand why people don't even want to think about trying to bring excellence to your student athletes. You go out and try to get the very best coaches that you can. Nobody knows if Urban Meyer would come here or not but he is out there and I'm sorry if he would come back it would have to be a at a so called winning program like Nebraska even though Nebraska hasn't been winning. 

On 9/6/2022 at 11:26 AM, Farms said:

I'm with you. Honestly what was the point of bringing him back if you're going to give up on him after literally the first game that we almost won.  Was Saturday pretty? No it was not.  But some of these people forget that in Bo's last season, where he went 9-4, it took a miracle from Ameer Abdullah to beat McNeese State.  Am I bummed how the season started, yes.  Do I still think we have the pieces to have a winning season, yes. Am I very skeptical, yes.  But I'm at least willing to see it through. 

Ok much sooner than I was expecting but I think we’ve seen it through.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It shouldn’t be hard to get back to 8-9 wins on a regular basis, with the occasional 10-11 win seasons. NU has the resources to do so, it just needs a decent coach. Bo was a decent coach, just a complete a-hole who his boss didn’t like. Riley and Frost didn’t have it. But, NU is attractive enough of a job where a solid coach will take it. 

Respectfully I stand by the position Bo was a bad coach that coasted on the talent left by Callahan (who could recruit) and weak schedules. Better than Frost and Riley, but not a good coach. Every game that mattered he got the tar beat out of him.