Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm willing to bet that 90+% of head coaches would prefer Auburn over Nebraska. 

Oh for sure.  We've seen the Husker script and it remains the same.

Intro: "I was talking to (whoever) and there really is no place like Nebraska..."

*applause, cheering*

2 1/2 years later (after firing whatever coordinator and feeling the strain) "We need to execute or make one more play or stop making dumb penalties or you can't win turning the ball over".... etc, etc

3 1/2 to 4 years later (ka-ching! pay me b!^@h, I'm out of here!)

The point is...... will the next coach be a part of the current script we have seen over the years, or will he rip it up and write a new script?  Of course time will tell..........but to the faithful, 3 years from now is a long, long, long time to answer that question.

11 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I'm willing to bet that 90+% of head coaches would prefer Auburn over Nebraska. 

Sure, if a coach wants to get his contract paid out after boosters actively try to sabotage their job, Auburn is the place to go! 

In all seriousness, what coaches want in today's CFB is for boosters and the Athletic Department to get out of their way and to have access to as much NIL money as possible. Nebraska provides that and you only have to do it better than Iowa, Purdue, etc. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1

Salt Lake City, Waco, Lawrence, Ames, Manhattan (Kansas), Madison, Champaign-Urbana, Minneapolis, Fargo, Boise, State College, Knoxville and plenty of others college towns aren't exactly balmy and fashionable places to live and coach, but somehow they've landed coaches some of us now covet. 

We went from wildly over-estimating the desirability of UNL to questioning why anyone worth having would have us. 

So get ready for someone from the middle. 

• Plus1 2
12 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

In all seriousness, what coaches want in today's CFB is for boosters and the Athletic Department to get out of their way and to have access to as much NIL money as possible. Nebraska provides that and you only have to do it better than Iowa, Purdue, etc. 

I don't think there is such thing as boosters and an athletic department getting out of the way in Power 5 FBS football, particularly at Nebraska. It's a fish bowl. You wouldn't believe how meddlesome some of our boosters have become over the last two decades, particularly when a coach wasn't getting it done.

Regardless, Auburn is objectively the better job, particularly because of the 500 mile radius recruiting advantages. That doesn't necessarily mean a coach wouldn't choose Nebraska over Auburn for certain reasons, but on paper, Auburn is absolutely the better gig.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

I don't think there is such thing as boosters and an athletic department getting out of the way in Power 5 FBS football, particularly at Nebraska. It's a fish bowl. You wouldn't believe how meddlesome some of our boosters have become over the last two decades, particularly when a coach wasn't getting it done.

Regardless, Auburn is objectively the better job, particularly because of the 500 mile radius recruiting advantages. That doesn't necessarily mean a coach wouldn't choose Nebraska over Auburn for certain reasons, but on paper, Auburn is absolutely the better gig.

I think it depends on the coach and their immediate circumstances which job they would view as the better gig. Sure the recruiting grounds are more fertile for Auburn but the chance to succeed and dominate your division is definitely better in the B1G west. Have to believe that’s worth something not drawing Bama, UGA, LSU etc. every year. And I’ve been to Auburn….those fans are crazy. If you think Nebraska and it’s boosters are bad, Auburn is all of that on steroids.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I think it depends on the coach and their immediate circumstances which job they would view as the better gig. Sure the recruiting grounds are more fertile for Auburn but the chance to succeed and dominate your division is definitely better in the B1G west. Have to believe that’s worth something not drawing Bama, UGA, LSU etc. every year. And I’ve been to Auburn….those fans are crazy. If you think Nebraska and it’s boosters are bad, Auburn is all of that on steroids.

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I would posit two things for consideration.

1) In the last 20 years, Nebraska has so far proven it's harder to win here than it is at Auburn (I know that's not a fair 1:1 comparison to make and for a variety of reasons, but still... for all this conversation of it being easier to win at Nebraska, of which I am guilty of, Auburn has had much better seasons in the last 20 years amidst the dominance of the division they're in). So, is it easier to win at Nebraska? Debatable at the least.

2) That was effectively my point about the boosters. I know there are other places that are crazier than Nebraska, but Nebraska boosters have been anything but angels the last 20 years.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I don't necessarily disagree with this, but I would posit two things for consideration.

1) In the last 20 years, Nebraska has so far proven it's harder to win here than it is at Auburn (I know that's not a fair 1:1 comparison to make and for a variety of reasons, but still... for all this conversation of it being easier to win at Nebraska, of which I am guilty of, Auburn has had much better seasons in the last 20 years amidst the dominance of the division they're in). So, is it easier to win at Nebraska? Debatable at the least.

2) That was effectively my point about the boosters. I know there are other places that are crazier than Nebraska, but Nebraska boosters have been anything but angels the last 20 years.

I hear ya but Callahan, Riley and Frost are skewing that comparison pretty negatively. I still feel comfortable saying any coach that isn’t a complete cluster should have a much easier time winning here. And not to cry about it but I wouldn’t say our initiation (hazing) conference scheduling was very helpful. If we weren’t completely inept I wouldn’t even mention it.

• Plus1 1

Nebraska is the better job. You can own the division where the SEC west has too many top programs. The expectations are actually now more realistic at Nebraska. 7 wins in the B1G west now and you are getting an extension whereas 7 wins in the tougher SEC west and you are still on the hot seat. The expectations have really come down here, which is not good, except for such a time as this. Someone can really go to the next level here. You can in the SEC too but you have to get through some monster programs to do so.

2 hours ago, HANC said:

You can’t be serious. Auburn is a much better job, not even close. Recruiting alone…., SEC prowess, relativity within last decade, more $$ than us, warm weather school (which is huge for guys like Prime)…. The 80s and 90s passed long ago. Welcome to reality.

Auburn is closer to Ole Miss and Mississippi State than Alabama.  Meaning rural middle-of-the-pack school ahead of Vanderbilt but below LSU, Florida, Georgia, Alabama for sure in the pecking order.  Always be second fiddle in the state.  It's a mediocre football school with unreasonable expectations. If they didn't allow Coach Harsin to pick out his own assistants it's an even bigger joke than I thought it was.  Barners are delusional.

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Nebraska is the better job. You can own the division where the SEC west has too many top programs. The expectations are actually now more realistic at Nebraska. 7 wins in the B1G west now and you are getting an extension whereas 7 wins in the tougher SEC west and you are still on the hot seat. The expectations have really come down here, which is not good, except for such a time as this. Someone can really go to the next level here. You can in the SEC too but you have to get through some monster programs to do so.

Bottom line the 9-10 wins under Bo was not good enough.....And here we are.  Hoping to get 6 wins.....And give the guy an extension after it happens.  The expectations here are lower than Auburn (at least for today) and I think NU would have an easier chance to win "bigger" than Auburn in the SEC.  I do not think we are currently the "destination job", but I think we are better from an expectations aspect and conference strength.  Interesting times for sure.  And sad that 6-6 is a giant increase.

• Fire 1

I mean, if the Huskers just wanted to play it safe.... run the clock down every play, hand the ball of 3 times in a row, punt for field position, trade field goals, do some play action twice a game, some misdirection here and there, and hope the other team makes a mistake (turnover & penalties), you really have an argument that it's easy to win 5-6 games in the division.  Which makes the B1G West more attractive to coaches then being in the SEC.  The trick is to keep the players happy, even if the fan base falls asleep by 3rd quarter.  

That's Big Ten football right there.  

2 hours ago, Enhance said:

I get that, but it's all relative to the competition. Sure it's easier to recruit, but Auburn has to pull in monumental recruiting classes just to be 4th in their own division, on top of having annual games against Georgia.

And while I agree that Boosters are something every coach puts up with, it gets taken to entirely new levels when Boosters make up infidelity rumors to the point where the Athletic Department launches an investigation where they WANT to find evidence of wrong doing in order to fire the coach for cause. 

I agree that Auburn has advantages but I don't think coaches are going to automatically think Auburn is a significantly better job than Nebraska. It's close.