Who should our next HC be?

17 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

If it isnt a coach who is currently in a top 15 team by the end of the season just stick with mickey.

Well I hope there is a coach out there willing enough to come here bc if not I can't deal with Nebraska football sucking over the next couple of years. I invest alot of energy into watching and cheering for them and Nebraska has made some pretty poor choices over the number of years that I can't deal with much longer. Example by this hey Nebraska fans I'd like to introduce your new head coach Matt Campbell. I think he will be a fine coach here with better resources then the one he had at Iowa State. He fits our culture and he is a leader and developer and I feel he will win here. Please welcome him with open arms and oh yeah by the way the record he has this year or years past doesn't reflect the type of coach I want for these young kids. :bad

• Haha 2

WRs and secondary not bad frankly.  Both need help from the lines and the rest of the team generally.   Without a reliable run game and pass protection, moving the ball is very much hit and miss.  Without a good pass rush and steady run defense coupled with a ball control offense, teams methodically move the ball down the field.  

Generally speaking, NU has lacked the big bodies to match up physically.  It’s been imbalanced recruiting imo.  Class rankings don’t seem to focus on position balance and or weighting.  And QB recruiting has still not produced quality depth.  It’s been about 15 years with one QB mostly.  Lots of athletes but not enough focus on the individual position skills.  Some of it is or may be development but more careful selection is needed.  I suspect our searching and scouting is failing. Maybe too much reliance of rating services and following the crowd?  It’s been a sort of shotgun approach in some positions, perhaps just taking a bunch and hoping a few pan out. 
Systematic focus might be lacking. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

49 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

WRs and secondary not bad frankly.  Both need help from the lines and the rest of the team generally.   Without a reliable run game and pass protection, moving the ball is very much hit and miss.  Without a good pass rush and steady run defense coupled with a ball control offense, teams methodically move the ball down the field.  

Generally speaking, NU has lacked the big bodies to match up physically.  It’s been imbalanced recruiting imo.  Class rankings don’t seem to focus on position balance and or weighting.  And QB recruiting has still not produced quality depth.  It’s been about 15 years with one QB mostly.  Lots of athletes but not enough focus on the individual position skills.  Some of it is or may be development but more careful selection is needed.  I suspect our searching and scouting is failing. Maybe too much reliance of rating services and following the crowd?  It’s been a sort of shotgun approach in some positions, perhaps just taking a bunch and hoping a few pan out. 
Systematic focus might be lacking. 

This. I’ve suspected some of our recruiting failures aren’t just because Frost was being Frosty, but because we were after the wrong kids in the first place. 

I just suspect that the devil is in the details and that’s where the real work is imo.  Searching thru thousands and thousands of players for ones that really fit the mold.  I’ve never been all that impressed with the ‘gurus’ that rate the prospects.  We know they hardly look at the guys from the unheralded schools or ones that don’t go to camps etc.  

Recruiting has to involve long days and nights, travel constantly and lots of nights sleeping in cars etc., driving 350!miles to a game in SW Kansas, then back to KC and on over to eastern Iowa, Souix Falls. Etc.  You don’t just Google search.  Up close. Face to face.  Deep dives.  You beat the bushes.  Shake the trees.  No stone unturned.  

To me, this just doesn’t sound like Frost’s style.  Frost didn’t seem to go beyond his prior contacts in the deep SE very often.  There is talent in FL, GA, AL but you’re battling everybody.  Texas has a bunch but the numbers suggest we stopped looking.  Seems like the plan was just try to hire somebody already near a prized recruit or already closely tied.  

Being an elite program means working 12 months a year, 12 - 15 hrs a day.  Recreation is what you do after you’re a successful pro.  Frost got paid for work he was supposed to do rather than work he’d done.  He’s too young for that kind of prospective pay plan.  

Sipple this morning:

It’s difficult to say exactly where Nebraska athletic director Trev Alberts stands with his search for a head coach. Maybe he has one locked down. It’s very possible.

Or perhaps his search continues.

There are desirable coaches who probably wouldn’t take the Nebraska job. Luke Fickell, Bret Bielema and Mike Gundy come to mind.

I’m told Bielema is building a mansion in Champaign, Illinois, or nearby. He’s on the verge of a hefty raise at Illinois, one would think.

However, according to Huskeronline.com sources, there are at least three good candidates we feel Alberts would have a good chance of landing: Dave Doeren (N.C. State), Lance Leipold (Kansas) and Mark Stoops (Kentucky).

Urban Meyer? I’ve heard he’s keeping an open mind about coaching jobs, perhaps even Nebraska’s.

Would Alberts be interested in hiring Meyer? My (educated) guess is no.

My opinion is it would be a home run.

https://www.on3.com/teams/nebraska-cornhuskers/news/steven-sipple-josephs-backup-qb-comments-raise-questions-and-why-nebraska-may-be-a-better-job-than-auburn/

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Bielema has an identity. A scheme that fits the conference and immediately recruited towards it. It involves stacking the lines and defense.

What a concept! Hope our new coach will have a similar plan. It's amazing what you can do with lower ranked recruiting classes when you follow this formula.

• Plus1 2

32 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We should have fired Frost and hired Bielema a couple years ago. That ship has sailed, and he's going to turn Illinois into a West contender. The new Wisconsin.

I agree.  Coach B is recruiting and coaching towards a specific hard nose scheme.  We can only hope Wisc is as lame with their coaching decisions as we were in handling Frost.  Ill will become the new Wisc (who was the old Nebraska) under Bielema's formula and hopefully Wisc will become the old Illinois.  If we don't hire correctly, we will become the old Kansas. 

40 minutes ago, knapplc said:

We should have fired Frost and hired Bielema a couple years ago. That ship has sailed, and he's going to turn Illinois into a West contender. The new Wisconsin.

I'm fully on-board with throwing $8 million at Bielema and making him tell us "no". 

That being said, I think there's one program in the Big Ten he leaves Illinois for, and it ain't us. 

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

As much as it looks good now, hindsight is 20/20. Husker nation would have revolted if we hire Bert after his 4-8 season at Arky or a 5-7 record at Illinois. SF still had support this year, let alone 2 years ago. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1