Who should our next HC be?

39 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I think Bielema will be this year's Mel Tucker.

Bret Bielema has a history of success, it just didn’t transfer to Arkansas, not sure why but he seemed to stray from his type of teams (hard-nosed, dominate OL/DL). I would take Bielema over Tucker every day of the week.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
3 hours ago, 87skers said:

Wise man, prolly hearing good advice too.

I think Mickey got Fever Pitch.  He went from "How am I going to do this?" to "I think I can do this" to "I can do this, here or anywhere, and I like it".  

Makes sense to me.

Head Coach makes way more in millions than being a WR coach, and is the face of the program.  The heart and soul of a program.

If you fail after 2-3-4 years, you get a sweet buyout.  You can then try somewhere else, or go back to being a WR coach someplace.  But you be super rich and taking care of your family for ever.

Any of you would do the same.  So let's put down the pitchforks with your assuming explanations.  Maybe Arizona State is interested?  Maybe some other universities are too?  But unfortunately, to some, he isn't worth it to coach Nebraska next year or ever, because the retreads are soooo much more experienced and better.  Whatever.

• Fire 1

7 minutes ago, admo said:

Wise man, prolly hearing good advice too.

I think Mickey got Fever Pitch.  He went from "How am I going to do this?" to "I think I can do this" to "I can do this, here or anywhere, and I like it".  

Makes sense to me.

Head Coach makes way more in millions than being a WR coach, and is the face of the program.  The heart and soul of a program.

If you fail after 2-3-4 years, you get a sweet buyout.  You can then try somewhere else, or go back to being a WR coach someplace.  But you be super rich and taking care of your family for ever.

Any of you would do the same.  So let's put down the pitchforks with your assuming explanations.  Maybe Arizona State is interested?  Maybe some other universities are too?  But unfortunately, to some, he isn't worth it to coach Nebraska next year or ever, because the retreads are soooo much more experienced and better.  Whatever.

If Nebraska would have fired Frost at the end of last season would you have demanded that Nebraska go hire Mickey Joseph, a WR coach who wasn't retained by Brian Kelly to stay on his own staff at LSU? A place Mickey called home and coached on a championship team? A career position coach who has never made personnel decisions or called plays? 

Now pretend he never played at Nebraska. Do you even know who Mickey Joseph is? Yet, You want him for your Head Coach though.

There are many great guys in football who are great with the kids and can recruit. He isn't a unicorn. Is Mickey a great dude? Absolutely. Can he coach receivers? Damn right he can. How can he be the top choice in this search? Did you watch the Illinois game? What did he do in that game that you liked? Did you enjoy the second half of that game? I didn't. That was all on the coaching. Please change my mind. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Funny how Callahan can get a tip that Mickey's representation has reached out to ASU, but he can't get any news about what coach's agents have reached out to NU.

This media, man. Mitch was on the radio and you could just tell how he was watching what he was saying as not to offend anyone. All college sports journalists are not like this 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, The Whale said:

This is good - I hope MJ gets the job. Will save the program from having to buyout his contract after he would have been fired by DA.

Any potential NU coach who's not smart enough to retain MJ, isn't smart enough to be the head coach at NU.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 3

1 hour ago, huskerpower22 said:

If Nebraska would have fired Frost at the end of last season would you have demanded that Nebraska go hire Mickey Joseph, a WR coach who wasn't retained by Brian Kelly to stay on his own staff at LSU? A place Mickey called home and coached on a championship team? A career position coach who has never made personnel decisions or called plays? 

Now pretend he never played at Nebraska. Do you even know who Mickey Joseph is? Yet, You want him for your Head Coach though.

There are many great guys in football who are great with the kids and can recruit. He isn't a unicorn. Is Mickey a great dude? Absolutely. Can he coach receivers? Damn right he can. How can he be the top choice in this search? Did you watch the Illinois game? What did he do in that game that you liked? Did you enjoy the second half of that game? I didn't. That was all on the coaching. Please change my mind. 

And that is why it makes it so beautiful, is that you can have an opinion and I can have one too. Without derp responses and reactions.  Neither of us is right nor wrong, because the bottom line is that we want to see the Huskers have success.  :)

I cannot change your mind, nor will I even try.  I am okay if we disagree and that you and some others, believe that Mickey cannot get it done here for *insert reasons and opinions*

I never look at Mickey as a former player and to be honest, forget he even played here.  But I always remembered his name.  What excited me was that he was on an LSU championship team as a coach and turned out some amazing NFL talent at his position.  If his guys don't run the routes, catch the throws, make the plays, then Joe Burrow doesn't have the same success he enjoyed his final year at Baton Rouge.  But also, Mickey did have some success recruiting talent away from Bama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc, etc...

To answer your question about "Would I hire him out of LSU to coach here?"  My answer would be no, obviously.

But that's not where we are at today.  He is the head coach here and now, gaining experience on the fly, trying to motivate his guys, working with a staff that he never chose, allowing his DC and OC to do their job on game day without interfering (CEO coach), because he put trust into his current staff and his current players on the field - to do what they practiced and prepared for all week.  Sure I would like to see more wins, but as a head coach, what else can he do in his situation?

In the Illinois game, when Rahmir dropped the easy catch, the next play CT got hurt, and everything went down hill.  The Huskers had more yards then Illinois was used to allowing at that time, and threatening.  Losing the game was not on the head coach, so I hope you don't use that as a reason or escape goat.  Purdy and Smothers have had reps all spring, summer, fall and up to this point to step up...... like KSU's QB did..... like Kansas' QB did when their best QB went down.  The 2nd half showed how valuable CT is to the offense, and not a reason Mickey Joseph is not a good coach.

I want him to be here next year and beyond.  Even though I have never thought he would get the job going forward, unless everyone else says "no thank you, but thanks for asking, click".  

• Plus1 2
55 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

lol. people outside of nebraska don't even know who mickey joseph is. he's not getting a power 5 head coaching job next year.

How does what other people know mean anything to the future success of the program?  And how do you that nobody knows?   It’s a horrible idea to hire based on the opinions of the nation.

I hope TA hires the right person and the hire has nothing to do with the CFB awareness of some Georgia redneck.  

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hey now….the last time we hired a coach that other P5 programs were wanting, it didn’t end well.  

Looks like his agent is trying to force Trev’s hand. Perhaps the hand writing is on the wall that MJ won’t be our next HC

:dunno

• TBH 1
40 minutes ago, admo said:

And that is why it makes it so beautiful, is that you can have an opinion and I can have one too. Without derp responses and reactions.  Neither of us is right nor wrong, because the bottom line is that we want to see the Huskers have success.  :)

I cannot change your mind, nor will I even try.  I am okay if we disagree and that you and some others, believe that Mickey cannot get it done here for *insert reasons and opinions*

I never look at Mickey as a former player and to be honest, forget he even played here.  But I always remembered his name.  What excited me was that he was on an LSU championship team as a coach and turned out some amazing NFL talent at his position.  If his guys don't run the routes, catch the throws, make the plays, then Joe Burrow doesn't have the same success he enjoyed his final year at Baton Rouge.  But also, Mickey did have some success recruiting talent away from Bama, Georgia, Florida, Texas, etc, etc...

To answer your question about "Would I hire him out of LSU to coach here?"  My answer would be no, obviously.

But that's not where we are at today.  He is the head coach here and now, gaining experience on the fly, trying to motivate his guys, working with a staff that he never chose, allowing his DC and OC to do their job on game day without interfering (CEO coach), because he put trust into his current staff and his current players on the field - to do what they practiced and prepared for all week.  Sure I would like to see more wins, but as a head coach, what else can he do in his situation?

In the Illinois game, when Rahmir dropped the easy catch, the next play CT got hurt, and everything went down hill.  The Huskers had more yards then Illinois was used to allowing at that time, and threatening.  Losing the game was not on the head coach, so I hope you don't use that as a reason or escape goat.  Purdy and Smothers have had reps all spring, summer, fall and up to this point to step up...... like KSU's QB did..... like Kansas' QB did when their best QB went down.  The 2nd half showed how valuable CT is to the offense, and not a reason Mickey Joseph is not a good coach.

I want him to be here next year and beyond.  Even though I have never thought he would get the job going forward, unless everyone else says "no thank you, but thanks for asking, click".  

Fair response. I guess I am disappointed in his decision to not jump in and stop Whipple from chucking the ball around the yard when we didn’t need to panic. I feel that lack of purpose cost us chances to stay in the game.  I am looking for a calming voice during chaos and I didn’t see it. Like you said, just my opinion, but I think he could have kept us in that game by controlling the “Whip” :violin