Who should our next HC be?

3 minutes ago, sho said:

I don't think you understand how many players and recruits bailed during the Briles downfall.   Not sure I would say they had plenty of talent.  School had facilities, but a lot of funding was shifted to legal funds, not a lot left for the programs.   The program was in shambles, talks of shutting it down completely, had less than 10 recruits for the season, most of the players, if they had the talent, transferred.  It was a dumpster fire of epic proportions.   Navigating that, and being successful as quickly as they were, is a testament to how good of a coach Rhule is.

I'm not claiming Rhule isn't a great coach. He very well might be. I'm cautioning against attributing the turnaround solely to Matt Rhule being a miracle man, similar to UCF's turnaround not being only attributable to Scott Frost being a great coach. 

Bad coaches have great early turnaround success stories pretty often.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Unsportsmanlike Conduct on 1620 making some decent points about Matt Rhule.  Rhule's contract for the Panthers was $62M for 7 years.  He made it 2+ years, so after this year, he would still be owed ~$40M over the next 4 years.  His contract with Carolina is a "net contract" meaning that any new job Rhule takes, his Carolina payout would be reduced by whatever new job he gets.  With this contract, I figured he would stay out of coaching for a year, and figure something out for 2024 and beyond, but Rhule may be one of those guys who can't get enough of coaching.

Having said all that, Rhule may be willing to accept a lower salary over the course of his first 4 years of his contract, and allow his assistant coaching staff to make more $.  Assuming Rhule does well, and gets contract extensions, he would be able to make up that "lower salary" on the back-end.  It's just something interesting to think about.  The guys on 1620 seem to think that there is a lot of smoke around Rhule, especially if NU wants to keep him from Auburn or other potential coaching jobs.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

I'm not claiming Rhule isn't a great coach. He very well might be. I'm cautioning against attributing the turnaround solely to Matt Rhule being a miracle man, similar to UCF's turnaround not being only attributable to Scott Frost being a great coach. 

I wouldn't say Rhule is a 1-year wonder or only had 1 turnaround success like Frost did.  Rhule had two, 10-win seasons at Temple with 1 division title and 1 conference title with Temple.  Then Rhule was able to repeat that success with Baylor.  Yes, Rhule didn't stick around, but Carolina gave him ridiculous $ for him to try the NFL.  I think Rhule's coaching methods and philosophies are more fit for the college game.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, sho said:

I don't think you understand how many players and recruits bailed during the Briles downfall.   Not sure I would say they had plenty of talent.  School had facilities, but a lot of funding was shifted to legal funds, not a lot left for the programs.   The program was in shambles, talks of shutting it down completely, had less than 10 recruits for the season, most of the players, if they had the talent, transferred.  It was a dumpster fire of epic proportions.   Navigating that, and being successful as quickly as they were, is a testament to how good of a coach Rhule is.

This is spot on how it all went. NCAA allowed the current players to transfer without sitting out a year (before the portal was a thing), so the good ones did. Plus he did it all with the possibility of suspension looming. Try selling your way out of that with recruits. I still don't know how the hell he did it. Or why he even took the job in the first place. I'd accuse him of cheating, but he did it all with a bunch of overlooked diamond in the rough type recruits.

• Fire 1

Yipe I got things mixed up in my post about the problems at Baylor.  I put Rhule where Briles et all should be... apologies.  I'll not even bother to try to defend my post to those who quoted it.. no excuses. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

It seems like the 3 most common names we are hearing about are Rhule, Aranda and Joseph.  Are there others that were talked about on 1620 the zone today?  Here are some pros and cons I see with these 3 guys:

1. Mickey Joseph

• Pros:
    • Very passionate about landing this job
    • Bleeds Husker Red
    • Amazing recruiter and motivator
  • Cons:
    • Lack of Head Coaching Experience (This is a big con)
    • Uncertainty with how he would build a staff

2.  Matt Rhule:

• Pros:
    • Greatly improved Temple and Baylor in 4 years and 3 years, respectively
    • Has most head coaching experience of the 3 candidates being considered
  • Cons:
    • Is 2-16 vs ranked teams including 0-11 at Baylor
    • Is noted as having a "culture of losing" at Carolina
    • Not a great recruiter

3.  Dave Aranda

• Pros:
    • Most defensive minded of the 3 
    • Good teacher/motivator of athletes
    • Won a major bowl (Sugar Bowl)
  • Cons:
    • Less than 3 full years of HC experience currently
    • Has not landed a top 25 recruiting team
12 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

"During his tenure at Baylor, Rhule's teams never defeated a ranked team." 

Enough to Rhule him out IMO.

Didn’t have many opportunities. When he did, they play basically top rated teams. Not like they were regularly losing to teams ranked low. Easy to make blanket statement, but a deeper dig puts a little light on it. 

• TBH 1

As discussed on 1620 Unsportsman Like conduct show - one advantage of Neb hiring Rhule is that the Panthers will still be paying him.  Nebraska will could therefore pay him less - Rhule would still have a huge paycheck when combining what the Panthers are contractually bound to and Nebraska's offer.  The Huskers could then pay much more for DC/OC and assistants.  Rhule would need to have to be given consideration that when the Panther contractual obligations end, that Nebraska would pick up the slack.    My take is that this would be a win/win/win for the Panthers (who have to pay less since Neb is contributing to Rhule's salary) , for Neb (again cost sharing wt the Panthers) and for Rhule and for future  assistants (who will receive funds not needed for the HC salary).  

• Plus1 3
32 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Digging Sand GIFs | Tenor

• Haha 1
14 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

It seems like the 3 most common names we are hearing about are Rhule, Aranda and Joseph.  Are there others that were talked about on 1620 the zone today?  Here are some pros and cons I see with these 3 guys:

1. Mickey Joseph

• Pros:
    • Very passionate about landing this job
    • Bleeds Husker Red
    • Amazing recruiter and motivator
  • Cons:
    • Lack of Head Coaching Experience (This is a big con)
    • Uncertainty with how he would build a staff

2.  Matt Rhule:

• Pros:
    • Greatly improved Temple and Baylor in 4 years and 3 years, respectively
    • Has most head coaching experience of the 3 candidates being considered
  • Cons:
    • Is noted as having a "culture of losing" at Carolina
    • Not a great recruiter

3.  Dave Aranda

• Pros:
    • Most defensive minded of the 3 
    • Good teacher/motivator of athletes
    • Won a major bowl (Sugar Bowl)
  • Cons:
    • Less than 3 full years of HC experience currently
    • Has not landed a top 25 recruiting team

Dave will work hard and will do a great job. For $7.5 million per year, I'd work hard too.

14 minutes ago, HANC said:

Didn’t have many opportunities. When he did, they play basically top rated teams. Not like they were regularly losing to teams ranked low. Easy to make blanket statement, but a deeper dig puts a little light on it. 

That's not enough of an opportunity?

• Plus1 2