Who should our next HC be?

32 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

This is spot on how it all went. NCAA allowed the current players to transfer without sitting out a year (before the portal was a thing), so the good ones did. Plus he did it all with the possibility of suspension looming. Try selling your way out of that with recruits. I still don't know how the hell he did it. Or why he even took the job in the first place. I'd accuse him of cheating, but he did it all with a bunch of overlooked diamond in the rough type recruits.

18 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Not a great recruiter

These comments seem to be in conflict.     It seems to me that Rhule had to be one heck of a recruiter to get anyone to come to Baylor.  He must have been good enough to pull in guys that Aranda used to win a conference championship with. 

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

These comments seem to be in conflict.     It seems to me that Rhule had to be one heck of a recruiter to get anyone to come to Baylor.  He must have been good enough to pull in guys that Aranda used to win a conference championship with. 

He didn't have highly ranked classes. Could be just not his style as he's more of a developmental guy. Or, could be he just didn't have enough time to get to the level where he could start bringing in top guys as he was forced his first years there to do more with less given the circumstances. Hard to tell.

Could also explain the never beating a ranked team thing. Hadn't gotten to the point of getting the recruits needed to beat the ranked teams.

• TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

He didn't have highly ranked classes. Could be just not his style as he's more of a developmental guy. Or, could be he just didn't have enough time to get to the level where he could start bringing in top guys as he was forced his first years there to do more with less given the circumstances. Hard to tell.

Could also explain the never beating a ranked team thing. Hadn't gotten to the point of getting the recruits needed to beat the ranked teams.

He did hold it together and got the team to perform at a high level.  I'm sure if he'd stayed, he would have had some higher ranked classes and would have beaten ranked teams.  He was on the right trajectory.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
4 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Looking at Rhule's 2019 Baylor team which was his best team in terms of talent & development, it shows they beat #25 Texas 24-10 and lost to #7 Oklahoma twice (once in regular season, once in Big 12 championship game) in one score games.  Baylor also lost to #4 Georgia in the Sugar Bowl 26-14.  Baylor had a number of close games and wins in OT that season, so while he didn't blow those teams out, the team was able to make the winning plays win they mattered.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, HANC said:

Didn’t have many opportunities. When he did, they play basically top rated teams. Not like they were regularly losing to teams ranked low. Easy to make blanket statement, but a deeper dig puts a little light on it. 

Yeah, this is pretty damn solid given what he walked into. Those losses were to teams stacked with 4-5 star talent. He was probably playing with 1-2 star talent. He probably just didn't have the horses. Question is whether he would have eventually been able to get them.

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 4.51.12 PM.png

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Cornfed said:

"During his tenure at Baylor, Rhule's teams never defeated a ranked team." 

Enough to Rhule him out IMO.

I'm a bit on the fence with Rhule.  But I've seen that thrown out quite a bit.

For starters, it's a bit misleading.  They did beat Texas in 2019 and Texas wasn't ranked at the time but finished the year ranked.  

Part of it is just lack of opportunity in their best year.  In 2018 they played four teams that were ranked at the time of the game.  In 2019, Oklahoma was the only ranked team they played in the regular season.  So they didn't have much of a chance.  Part of that being due to them and Oklahoma beating everyone else.

Finally, I know no one around here likes "close" at this point but they played three Top 10 teams in 2019 (Oklahoma twice) and lost by 3, 3 in OT and 14.

So it's not really a Frank Solich in 2003 situation where you beat the bad teams and get blown out by the good teams.  

• Plus1 3
18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Well it depends how much stock you put into the 247 composite rankings. On paper his 3 recruiting classes at Baylor ranked 40th, 29th, and 49th.  Now the last number is around the time he would have left which would have impacted that class.  

Now on the flip side you can argue he did more with less talent which is always a positive trait. 

I got 3-16, but here's the games for reference (and because I was bored)

2019 Baylor
L 31-34 vs #10 OU
L 23-30 OT vs #6 OU
L 14-26 vs #5 UGA (bowl)

2018 Baylor
L 33-66 at #6 OU
L 17-23 at #9 Texas
L 14-58 at #13 WVU
L 14-28 at #23 ISU

2017 Baylor
L 41-49 vs #3 OU
L 16-59 at #14 Okie St
L 36-38 vs #23 WVU
L 22-45 at #10 TCU

2016 Temple
W 34-10 at #19 Navy

2015 Temple
L 20-24 vs #9 Notre Dame
W 31-12 vs #21 Memphis
L 13-24 vs #19 Houston (Conf Champ Game)

2014 Temple
W 20-10 vs #21 E Carolina

2013 Temple
L 6-28 at #14 Notre Dame
L 7-30 vs #7 L’ville
L 36-39 vs #15 UCF

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

re: us paying him less because of the panthers buyout

That just won't happen. It's begging for a lawsuit if you clearly aren't offering market rate for a job. 95% chance his contract had language preventing something like that built in, it's just something for radio guys to waste time talking about.

• Haha 1

Drops a few names.   And I swear to god if we hire Jeff Monken I'm done with the team.

Sources continue to tell FootballScoop that multiple current and former Big 12 and Big Ten Conference coaches are among the coaches being vetted that also include an additional sitting Power 5 head coach. 

Per sources both in the college coaching ranks and in the industry, Nebraska is continuing to heavily vet both current and former head coaches -- with a pair of former Big 12 skippers -- Gary Patterson and Matt Rhule -- among those continuing to receive their due diligence from the Huskers' search. Army coach Jeff Monken, no stranger to the Midwest, continues to be an additional name that's circulating enough to continue to monitor. 

Sources share that Nebraska leadership is hopeful the next head coach will seek to structure a renewed contract with Joseph to make him a key part of a future staff.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Unsportsmanlike Conduct on 1620 making some decent points about Matt Rhule.  Rhule's contract for the Panthers was $62M for 7 years.  He made it 2+ years, so after this year, he would still be owed ~$40M over the next 4 years.  His contract with Carolina is a "net contract" meaning that any new job Rhule takes, his Carolina payout would be reduced by whatever new job he gets.  With this contract, I figured he would stay out of coaching for a year, and figure something out for 2024 and beyond, but Rhule may be one of those guys who can't get enough of coaching.

Having said all that, Rhule may be willing to accept a lower salary over the course of his first 4 years of his contract, and allow his assistant coaching staff to make more $.  Assuming Rhule does well, and gets contract extensions, he would be able to make up that "lower salary" on the back-end.  It's just something interesting to think about.  The guys on 1620 seem to think that there is a lot of smoke around Rhule, especially if NU wants to keep him from Auburn or other potential coaching jobs.

21 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

As discussed on 1620 Unsportsman Like conduct show - one advantage of Neb hiring Rhule is that the Panthers will still be paying him.  Nebraska will could therefore pay him less - Rhule would still have a huge paycheck when combining what the Panthers are contractually bound to and Nebraska's offer.  The Huskers could then pay much more for DC/OC and assistants.  Rhule would need to have to be given consideration that when the Panther contractual obligations end, that Nebraska would pick up the slack.    My take is that this would be a win/win/win for the Panthers (who have to pay less since Neb is contributing to Rhule's salary) , for Neb (again cost sharing wt the Panthers) and for Rhule and for future  assistants (who will receive funds not needed for the HC salary).  

Yes! It would be advantageous if Nebraska were to hire Rhule from a financial perspective. For Rhule too it puts him in a situation where he is highly compensated and has the opportunity to have a larger pool of resources available for assistants in the initial years depending upon the particular arrangement that’s agreed to.  

10 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

re: us paying him less because of the panthers buyout

That just won't happen. It's begging for a lawsuit if you clearly aren't offering market rate for a job. 95% chance his contract had language preventing something like that built in, it's just something for radio guys to waste time talking about.

I wasn't suggesting Trev give him a low-ball offer, but $5-6 million per year would be higher than Frost was making in 2022, and would put him in the middle of the pack in the Big Ten.  Many thought the starting point for most coaches for Trev would be $7-8 million.

5 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Yes! It would be advantageous if Nebraska were to hire Rhule from a financial perspective. For Rhule too it puts him in a situation where he is highly compensated and has the opportunity to have a larger pool of resources available for assistants in the initial years depending upon the particular arrangement that’s agreed to.  

I was first!!!

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1

All the speculation is fun. 

Im just glad that I’m a fan of a team that has the resources and fan base that someday will allow us to hire a coaching staff that will have a winning program and competing for championships. 

will that be this time?  Maybe. Maybe not.  Nobody knows. Hiring coaches is a crap shoot. 

But, I’m confident the fan base and the resources will someday get us some fun seasons. 

Hopefully it’s this time. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1