Who should our next HC be?

22 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Drops a few names.   And I swear to god if we hire Jeff Monken I'm done with the team.

Sources continue to tell FootballScoop that multiple current and former Big 12 and Big Ten Conference coaches are among the coaches being vetted that also include an additional sitting Power 5 head coach. 

Per sources both in the college coaching ranks and in the industry, Nebraska is continuing to heavily vet both current and former head coaches -- with a pair of former Big 12 skippers -- Gary Patterson and Matt Rhule -- among those continuing to receive their due diligence from the Huskers' search. Army coach Jeff Monken, no stranger to the Midwest, continues to be an additional name that's circulating enough to continue to monitor. 

Sources share that Nebraska leadership is hopeful the next head coach will seek to structure a renewed contract with Joseph to make him a key part of a future staff.

Well Patterson has had the most P5 success of these 3 guys and won many bowl games including the Rose Bowl and Peach Bowl.

22 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

re: us paying him less because of the panthers buyout

That just won't happen. It's begging for a lawsuit if you clearly aren't offering market rate for a job. 95% chance his contract had language preventing something like that built in, it's just something for radio guys to waste time talking about.

I've heard it said that what he is still getting from Carolina is a reason he could be very picky about where he goes (if anywhere).

But try to slow down from all the assumptions and brash talk you're throwing around.  This absolutely happens all the time.  Youngstown State barely had to pay Bo Pelini anything because Nebraska was still paying him.  There is likely a clause that you can't pay them minimum wage but he could be paid well below his actual market value.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Well Patterson has had the most P5 success of these 3 guys and won many bowl games including the Rose Bowl and Peach Bowl.

Patterson is in his early 60s so it wouldn't be a long term hire if that happened.....the good news is Jerry Kill would likely join him in some role.

5 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If Patterson could give us 5 years and right the ship that would be just fine with me. 

Not saying that I am in favor…. But could do this, SIGN MJ to a contract stating HC in waiting. Guaranteed HC while getting more experience. This is what FSU did with Jimbo Fischer. Worked for them pretty well.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Drops a few names.   And I swear to god if we hire Jeff Monken I'm done with the team.

Sources continue to tell FootballScoop that multiple current and former Big 12 and Big Ten Conference coaches are among the coaches being vetted that also include an additional sitting Power 5 head coach. 

Per sources both in the college coaching ranks and in the industry, Nebraska is continuing to heavily vet both current and former head coaches -- with a pair of former Big 12 skippers -- Gary Patterson and Matt Rhule -- among those continuing to receive their due diligence from the Huskers' search. Army coach Jeff Monken, no stranger to the Midwest, continues to be an additional name that's circulating enough to continue to monitor. 

Sources share that Nebraska leadership is hopeful the next head coach will seek to structure a renewed contract with Joseph to make him a key part of a future staff.

Trev would be lucky to get Monken.  I can't believe the people who still think there's room to be picky.  Seem to have forgotten what happened after Solich was canned.  Everyone thought top coaches would be lining up for the job - throwing around names like Bill Parcels and Steve Mariucci - and then a guy named Houston Nutt said no thanks.  As weeks went by, losing committed recruits, ended up with a desperation hire in Callahan.   You should be thankful if it ends up Monken.

• Haha 6

52 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I totally understand the sentiment but Monken is a great coach. "Wait until he gets Nebraska's resources" is a cliche but at Army you can't even practice five days a week. If a player that goes to your school ends up in the NFL it's because they had a freak growth spurt. It's hard to grade these guys due to the circumstances but Monken has like half of Army's bowl appearances all time.

He's a guy I'd rate higher than Mickey, especially if his cousin Todd comes on as OC out of Georgia. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point and we don't have to have these conversations. Guy will eventually get a shot at a school where you can build an actual roster and he'll be great, but I'd rather it not be here. Philosophy, teaching, development, guy's got an incredible record and reputation. I'm excited to see what he can do at a P5 school where his linemen can be 6-6 320.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

He didn't have highly ranked classes. Could be just not his style as he's more of a developmental guy. Or, could be he just didn't have enough time to get to the level where he could start bringing in top guys as he was forced his first years there to do more with less given the circumstances. Hard to tell.

Could also explain the never beating a ranked team thing. Hadn't gotten to the point of getting the recruits needed to beat the ranked teams.

This is spot on 

• Thanks 1