Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, man eating mastodon said:

Nah lots of people watch the academy football games, no one gave a s#!t about Oregon St 

No thank you we will be here in three years if he’s named coach. His offense might put up good rushing numbers but there’s a reason academy teams are not in the top 5 and in the playoffs every year. Sorry 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, skeener said:

Trev would be lucky to get Monken.  I can't believe the people who still think there's room to be picky.  Seem to have forgotten what happened after Solich was canned.  Everyone thought top coaches would be lining up for the job - throwing around names like Bill Parcels and Steve Mariucci - and then a guy named Houston Nutt said no thanks.  As weeks went by, losing committed recruits, ended up with a desperation hire in Callahan.   You should be thankful if it ends up Monken.

If we are going to go after a non P5 coach, I would take Jamey Chaldwell over Monken. He has had more consistency especially with what he has built at CC.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, skeener said:

Trev would be lucky to get Monken.  I can't believe the people who still think there's room to be picky.  Seem to have forgotten what happened after Solich was canned.  Everyone thought top coaches would be lining up for the job - throwing around names like Bill Parcels and Steve Mariucci - and then a guy named Houston Nutt said no thanks.  As weeks went by, losing committed recruits, ended up with a desperation hire in Callahan.   You should be thankful if it ends up Monken.

cheers-drunk.gif

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • TBH 2

3 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm a bit on the fence with Rhule.  But I've seen that thrown out quite a bit.

For starters, it's a bit misleading.  They did beat Texas in 2019 and Texas wasn't ranked at the time but finished the year ranked.  

Part of it is just lack of opportunity in their best year.  In 2018 they played four teams that were ranked at the time of the game.  In 2019, Oklahoma was the only ranked team they played in the regular season.  So they didn't have much of a chance.  Part of that being due to them and Oklahoma beating everyone else.

Finally, I know no one around here likes "close" at this point but they played three Top 10 teams in 2019 (Oklahoma twice) and lost by 3, 3 in OT and 14.

So it's not really a Frank Solich in 2003 situation where you beat the bad teams and get blown out by the good teams.  

Here's a great read about coaches beating teams with winning records.  This is an old article (2014), but I think it'd still be valid today.  I couldn't find any more recent stats...

"Did you know that of the 128 FBS head coaches, only 14—or 11 percent—have a career winning record against Top 25 teams?

Not only do 89 percent of the top level of college coaches have a losing record against ranked opponents, but 51—or 40 percent of the field—have never won a single game against a Top 25 team."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2137102-top-college-football-coaches-who-excel-and-struggle-against-top-25-teams

Rhule is a perfect fit for college.  He relates well, can develop talent and build a team. It's easier to coach a guy looking to earn millions vs coaching a guy making millions....IMHO, he made a miscue that I hope he and new learned from.  He was a brand new NFL HC and he got Joe Brady (for all intensive purposes) was very raw at the NFL level.  Coupled with the complete crap show that was Carolina.  It was an uphill battle.  It was much easier for Rhule to field a competent college team when you can bring in 15-20 guys per class vs the NFL with 7 or less.....Quicker in college to get a lot of bodies and make a change. I think he'd do well.  Bring Chadwell as OC:D

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
14 hours ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

Then why click on this thread? Why not just skip it and wait?

Mostly to shoot down the dumb ideas from the Jessica Come Latelies.

I still have a preference for the kind of coach I want, which is what the thread title asks, not “are you a clairvoyant?”

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, lo country said:

Here's a great read about coaches beating teams with winning records.  This is an old article (2014), but I think it'd still be valid today.  I couldn't find any more recent stats...

"Did you know that of the 128 FBS head coaches, only 14—or 11 percent—have a career winning record against Top 25 teams?

Not only do 89 percent of the top level of college coaches have a losing record against ranked opponents, but 51—or 40 percent of the field—have never won a single game against a Top 25 team."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2137102-top-college-football-coaches-who-excel-and-struggle-against-top-25-teams

Rhule is a perfect fit for college.  He relates well, can develop talent and build a team. It's easier to coach a guy looking to earn millions vs coaching a guy making millions....IMHO, he made a miscue that I hope he and new learned from.  He was a brand new NFL HC and he got Joe Brady (for all intensive purposes) was very raw at the NFL level.  Coupled with the complete crap show that was Carolina.  It was an uphill battle.  It was much easier for Rhule to field a competent college team when you can bring in 15-20 guys per class vs the NFL with 7 or less.....Quicker in college to get a lot of bodies and make a change. I think he'd do well.  Bring Chadwell as OC:D

I’m on board with that Chadwell suggestion 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Red Five said:

Drops a few names.   And I swear to god if we hire Jeff Monken I'm done with the team.

Sources continue to tell FootballScoop that multiple current and former Big 12 and Big Ten Conference coaches are among the coaches being vetted that also include an additional sitting Power 5 head coach. 

Per sources both in the college coaching ranks and in the industry, Nebraska is continuing to heavily vet both current and former head coaches -- with a pair of former Big 12 skippers -- Gary Patterson and Matt Rhule -- among those continuing to receive their due diligence from the Huskers' search. Army coach Jeff Monken, no stranger to the Midwest, continues to be an additional name that's circulating enough to continue to monitor. 

Sources share that Nebraska leadership is hopeful the next head coach will seek to structure a renewed contract with Joseph to make him a key part of a future staff.

I like Aranda and Rhule. I love the style of ball Monken plays. How Monken’s style would play out in the BIG remains to be seen, but I’d be willing to lose you to find out.

• Fire 1

47 minutes ago, lo country said:

Do you think Rhule is interested in coaching next year? He obviously is cut out for the college time management requirements.

3 hours ago, skeener said:

I'd rather we just hire Mickey if Monken is the best external option we have to choose from...

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Do you think Rhule is interested in coaching next year? He obviously is cut out for the college time management requirements.

My personnel opinion would be he takes a break. His entire experience at Carolina was a crap show.  Bringing back Cam didn't help.  Fans loved or hated the guy.  Rhule just never turned them around as quick as people thought as he had Brady and was just coming off a great season at Baylor.  Kind of the Frost curse.  Was the newest toy, but just didn't pan out and NFL just fired faster.. Not to mention big step up from the Big 12 to the NFL.  Like UCF to the B1G.   I'd guess he feels mentally beat tbh.  BUT maybe he wants to jump right in and prove he is a great coach.  Just my .02.  Hope I am wrong.  Of the names thrown around, he'd be a good one.

• Fire 1