Who should our next HC be?

One thing that bothers me about Rhule is the money he is getting paid from Carolina. That's $10 million per year, and my understanding is that the salary from any job he gets is simply removed from the Panthers buyout. Nebraska, nor any other university, is going to pay him more than $10 million. So that means he would be coaching for free, for at least the next four years. Am I getting that wrong?

I don't care how good of a coach he might be, or how much a person can love coaching...why would anyone take the kind of job that requires this much grinding and stress...for free? Does anyone worry that it would sap his motivation?

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

One thing that bothers me about Rhule is the money he is getting paid from Carolina. That's $10 million per year, and my understanding is that the salary from any job he gets is simply removed from the Panthers buyout. Nebraska, nor any other university, is going to pay him more than $10 million. So that means he would be coaching for free, for at least the next four years. Am I getting that wrong?

I don't care how good of a coach he might be, or how much a person can love coaching...why would anyone take the kind of job that requires this much grinding and stress...for free? Does anyone worry that it would sap his motivation?

95%+ of the population would take the $40M and not look back, but coaches are wired differently than you and I.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 3

33 minutes ago, Ulty said:

I agree that he wouldn't be motivated by $, but he may be motivated to clear his name, remove the bad taste of the Panthers experience, and show the country that he's still one of the best college coaches in the country.  When Rhule was at Baylor, the "experts" loved him.  This would be his opportunity to show that the Panthers experience was the outlier.

just a gut feeling, but i think rhule would fail badly here.

current recruits just know him as the guy who sucked at carolina

he has no experience with the big10

his 1 good year at baylor was against an extremely easy schedule.

its also much easier to recruit to baylor than nebraska. how would he draw people to nebraska?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Why does that bother you?  If he takes the job, he doesn't lose money.  He just gets paid the same amount he's getting paid to sit at home.  Quite frankly, I know a lot of professional people who enjoy what they do and in this situation, would still take another job even though they could sit and home and do nothing.

Again, why does it bother you?  Do you think that if he takes the job, he's not going to care enough and do a bad job because of it?  I disagree, if that's your thought process.

• Fire 1

21 minutes ago, BoSolich said:

just a gut feeling, but i think rhule would fail badly here.

current recruits just know him as the guy who sucked at carolina

he has no experience with the big10

his 1 good year at baylor was against an extremely easy schedule.

its also much easier to recruit to baylor than nebraska. how would he draw people to nebraska?

I agree that the lack of experience in the Big Ten isn't great.  However, I am not concerned about recruits thinking he "sucked" at Carolina.  I think he will be able to tell recruits "I have experience in the NFL as a head coach, and an assistant coach.  I have seen what it takes to get to the NFL.  I can get you there with proper development."  If Rhule surrounds himself with a coaching staff full of recruiters (which a robust salary pool should enable), they should be able to get guys to come to Nebraska.

• Plus1 2
13 minutes ago, Head Coach Scott Frost said:

Other people who failed in the NFL - Nick Saban and Urban Meyer.  Success in the NFL is largely tied to having a great QB. Rhule was able to build up programs twice not just one flash in a pan.  I feel like I'm usually the pessimist.  No reason to be a pessimist with this hire if true.

Yeah, I'm a legendary pessimist here, but I would be ok w/ Rhule... I don't see Joe Brady coming here though

• Thanks 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I agree that the lack of experience in the Big Ten isn't great.  However, I am not concerned about recruits thinking he "sucked" at Carolina.  I think he will be able to tell recruits "I have experience in the NFL as a head coach, and an assistant coach.  I have seen what it takes to get to the NFL.  I can get you there with proper development."  If Rhule surrounds himself with a coaching staff full of recruiters (which a robust salary pool should enable), they should be able to get guys to come to Nebraska.

Totally agree. The NFL stint serves as a positive and not a negative. Crazy how negative  minds just go to negative innuendo. 

• Plus1 1