Who should our next HC be?

13 hours ago, HuskermanMike said:

I would get behind this hire. His DC that he has had everywhere is interesting as well. Phil Snow runs the 3-3-5, wonder how that would do in the B1G?

He knows to get elite assistants like he did at Baylor to make it work. If he wants to go back to being a head coach, it will be at the college level because NFL teams won't take him. Those tweets show a coach who wants to be physical and win the battle of front. Which is exactly what we have not done since the 2016 season.  

And this quote is why he will come to Nebraska:D:  I can relate.  I grew up in SD and still debate what is worse - Jan/Feb in SD or July/August in Tulsa. 

Maybe Rhule will desire Lincoln's more moderate temps vs the heat in the South. 

(* Despite being warned beforehand, Rhule said he flat out did not realize how hot Texas is in September and October until he experienced himself. As such, he wants opposing defenders running sideline-to-sideline as much as possible early in games. "If I can't breathe on the sidelines, imagine how those guys (on the field) feel," he said.)

OK- Who do think are not going to be candidates at this point.  I think we can take Aranda, Urbs, Kiffin, and Deion off those lists of desirable hires.  This would leave who:  Rhule, Campbell, Leipold, and BOB?  Maybe Patterson, Monken, or -_______ fill in the blank.

This honestly looks like this could be Mickey's job to lose at this point..........unless I am missing someone?

Just now, Hayseed said:

I think a lot of fans want either a splash hire or to stay with Mickey.

I don't want MJ as the next HC but hope he is retained by the next coach.   I think there is a number of good options that aren't splash:  Rhule, Leipold, BOB, Chadwell. 

1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

OK- Who do think are not going to be candidates at this point.  I think we can take Aranda, Urbs, Kiffin, and Deion off those lists of desirable hires.  This would leave who:  Rhule, Campbell, Leipold, and BOB?  Maybe Patterson, Monken, or -_______ fill in the blank.

This honestly looks like this could be Mickey's job to lose at this point..........unless I am missing someone?

1 hour ago, BoSolich said:

1 huskeronline poster said Matt Campbell's wife was looking at homes in Lincoln recently

another 1 said he heard from a former player that Matt Campbell agreed to a contract last week.

interesting.

This could make sense since the week after Frost got fired they beat Ohio and have not won since, until yesterday.

Rumors have it he was Trev's choice last year. Pressure off and he goes out and wins.

Maybe she does not like the cable options in Lincoln and they are a streaming family- hence no cable guy rumors.

Don't really have too much of an opinion who I prefer as the next head coach but I do think it will come from a group of Campbell, Bill O'Brien, Matt Rhule, Leipold, or a P5 coach who has not been mentioned but has looked at the changing landscape of college football and wants to secure a seat at the big table.

1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

I’m sorry but trev is not hiring a first time coach given the importance. Much more likely they pay mj well to stay on board with the same title he had under frost and work with someone that knows what a functional football program should look like. 

20 hours ago, admo said:

But it is okay (I would hope and like to believe) to have solid opinions of Nebraska football that isn't Rosey.  Even if it hurts some people's feelings.  If you disagree, that is fine, too.  

There's nothing wrong with having unflattering opinions of Nebraska - they've earned those.

I am, however, frustrated with the whiny, defeatist attitude of "we're not going to get anybody," "no coach with a bright future is going to come here," etc. If that's how some people feel then perhaps they should write to Trev and ask him to close up shop on the football program. If it's that hopeless, then why bother.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 2
5 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I’m sorry but trev is not hiring a first time coach given the importance. 

Sucking for a while is no reason to take good candidates out of consideration. That's fear-based decision making and it's the type of mentality that leads to hiring somebody like Mike Riley. 

Doesn't matter if you haven't won a game in a month or ten years - you find the guy you think is the best fit for the job and that may or may not include previous head coaching experience. Oklahoma after the 90's wasn't too scared to hire unproven Bob Stoops 'given the importance'; 23 years later I'd say that given the importance they did the right thing.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Stone Cold said:

Is there any one coach that we would hire that you would think would be disastrous. 

Even if we break all the names members have posted into 3 tiers, any tier would be light years ahead of Frost.  Some could rebuild quicker and recruit better, but simply teaching physicality, making the lines a priority and developing what we have is worth 6 wins......Getting a guy who will run a scheme conducive to the players we have (not ones we want) and  will work in the B1G (no more big or bust) should also help to get bowling.  

8 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I’m sorry but trev is not hiring a first time coach given the importance. Much more likely they pay mj well to stay on board with the same title he had under frost and work with someone that knows what a functional football program should look like. 

Trev very well may hire a first time HC. He has previously stated prior HC experience is not a requirement for the job, although it would certainly be valuable.

It's also more likely that MJ is gone next season if he's not the next HC. That's just how these things normally work.