Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

I think a lot of fans want either a splash hire or to stay with Mickey.

There's probably a fair amount of truth to that. Basically, hire a guy that excites everyone, or hire the guy that people have some comfortability with.

That said, I think MJ has played his way out of serious contention. I have not come across a lot of people who are openly pining for him anymore. It's a lot of the same voices and same names (either here or on social media) that are pushing for MJ. I for one think he would be an underwhelming hire at this point, based on what I've seen.

Personally, I've long been hoping for a hire that inspires confidence more than anything else. I don't necessarily need the 'splash' element. I don't need to be wowed. I just want a guy that seems to own most elements of what it takes to win and win at a high level.

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

There's nothing wrong with having unflattering opinions of Nebraska - they've earned those.

I am, however, frustrated with the whiny, defeatist attitude of "we're not going to get anybody," "no coach with a bright future is going to come here," etc. If that's how some people feel then perhaps they should write to Trev and ask him to close up shop on the football program. If it's that hopeless, then why bother.

Of course, and I do not like it either.  

Let's dial it back to the Huskerboard days with Bill Callahan.  I was there.  The board was lit with opinions and views.  Agreeable or not, it was fun and great, and the site was growing and stuff.  You could say your piece and be over it.  Then the Pellini era came along, then the few Riley years.  And then Frost....  

I don't recall when, but at some point people starting to get banned left and right for having an outlet on HB, which was a difference of opinions and views.  Maybe some were venting way too much and got caught up in it, I don't know or remember.

Speaking for myself I have normally put in positive vibes, even when things were bleak and crappy.  But we have to have some thick skin and if this is not the place to say what you are feeling or thinking, then what is the point?  Yes, I can go somewhere else.  Which is saying a lot.

I would suggest to you, to not get too caught up with members having a say, when it isn't all sunny and rosey.  It's just opinions and different views.

I have only lived a few years in Nebraska as a kid, and never been back except for a few days at Rosenblatt (minor leagues).  I can only say that after the last 5-8 years, Nebraska football is not a destination for a successful coach (current) to drop everything for.  And that is where I am at, and what I believe.  We will most likely hire Bill O'Brien, and I would almost take that to the bank.  

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, admo said:

Of course, and I do not like it either.  

Let's dial it back to the Huskerboard days with Bill Callahan.  I was there.  The board was lit with opinions and views.  Agreeable or not, it was fun and great, and the site was growing and stuff.  You could say your piece and be over it.  Then the Pellini era came along, then the few Riley years.  And then Frost....  

I don't recall when, but at some point people starting to get banned left and right for having an outlet on HB, which was a difference of opinions and views.  Maybe some were venting way too much and got caught up in it, I don't know or remember.

Speaking for myself I have normally put in positive vibes, even when things were bleak and crappy.  But we have to have some thick skin and if this is not the place to say what you are feeling or thinking, then what is the point?  Yes, I can go somewhere else.  Which is saying a lot.

I would suggest to you, to not get too caught up with members having a say, when it isn't all sunny and rosey.  It's just opinions and different views.

I have only lived a few years in Nebraska as a kid, and never been back except for a few days at Rosenblatt (minor leagues).  I can only say that after the last 5-8 years, Nebraska football is not a destination for a successful coach (current) to drop everything for.  And that is where I am at, and what I believe.  We will most likely hire Bill O'Brien, and I would almost take that to the bank.  

Lets just dial it back to the mike riley hire,  there were lots of board members that didnt make it past the first few hours of the hiring before they were banned.

• Oh Yeah! 2
  • TBH 1

Trev is and has been searching for quite some time now.  Probably long before the firing date of Frost.  Any AD has to be aware that all coaches come and go.  It’s the nature of coaching in modern athletics, especially the major sports.  Coaches likewise keep their eyes open and presumably have career and many other factors in mind.  Lots of things change for everybody and every place.  

All the speculation and guessing is interesting and maybe useful I guess.  But hopefully the negatives and the positives are all taken for what they are - not much.  Every coach needs to be given fair and respectful discussion.  These are fellow citizens and have families and lives.  Most have current jobs and people who depend on them for important reasons. 

Whomever it is that is hired to replace Frost and each of the many others at DONU deserves a reasonable opportunity to do the job.  It is a big challenge no doubt.  Let’s all give these people a chance to show what they can do.  

We all may have our own individual ideas and preferences but there’s really no way to tell who may be the right one to turn the football program around.  There is more than one approach that can succeed and or fail.  Nobody knows for certain which that may be. 

• TBH 1
29 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Lets just dial it back to the mike riley hire,  there were lots of board members that didnt make it past the first few hours of the hiring before they were banned.

I hated the hire.  Even more after I googled and really knew who he was.  Mr. .504.......The do more with less, great guy, passes out Werther's originals, says hip hip hooray......Yep. It was rough.

Just now, lo country said:

I hated the hire.  Even more after I googled and really knew who he was.  Mr. .504.......The do more with less, great guy, passes out Werther's originals, says hip hip hooray......Yep. It was rough.

That is i think the greatest fear of all,  to be fair.  At least with frost we were sold with a false hope.  With riley there was no hope at all.

Just now, Stone Cold said:

That is i think the greatest fear of all,  to be fair.  At least with frost we were sold with a false hope.  With riley there was no hope at all.

100%.  I think a few games in, most thought like some in the beginning. That this dude who rides his bike to practice and has ice cream socials just won't cut it.  Some die hards bought the Calibraska nonsense, but thankfully it all tied when he told Bookie to go to OU.  I do not think one person was against the Frost hire.

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

And almost all of us loved the SF hire and he turned out to be Mr. .479 (.340 @ NU).

Guess it goes to show you really never know how things will turn out.

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

And almost all of us loved the SF hire and he turned out to be Mr. .479 (.340 @ NU).

Guess it goes to show you really never know how things will turn out.

I never saw it coming.  Ever.  Nobody did.  Yalking heads loved it, fans loved it and then it all ended where we are now.  Mr .340 at NU....

2 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

If he could make that offense work in the B1G I'd love to watch it every week. Fun stuff for fans that lived through the glory years.

This is what worries me the most and has worried me ever since we came to the big 10.  We can hire any coach and they can do OK here but they wont have what it takes to win the games and build the team necessary to compete here.  It is something we have struggled with since the beginning.