Jump to content

Who should our next HC be?


Recommended Posts


I think for everyone hoping for their favorite candidate (that’s currently coaching) the silence is hope. I don’t think Trev is waiting for Mickey to do something. He can’t afford to. My guess Trev is down to final interviews or has his main guy verbally approved for hire. If it’s a big name coach they will be coaching until their conference championship games if they make it and we should not want to hear a peep or risk losing that said candidate. Some examples could be: Bielema, Kiffin, Fickell, Malzahn, Whittingham, DeBoer, Doeren, Aranda, Klieman, Liepold, and Chadwell to name a few.  I am not saying I have heard rumors about these candidates, but looking at the conference standings if we are in on any of them we will not hear and rumblings until they are eliminated from making their conference championship or after their championship game. 

Link to comment

Gary Patterson

 

He’s a seasoned pro with a lot of experience. Would have many connections to assemble a competent staff. Skilled at identifying talent and developing it. Could successfully recruit the Texas region. One of the best defensive minds in the business. High character guy that’s a grinder.

 

Not the flashiest of coaches. Maybe he could be teamed up with a couple strong up and coming coordinators. Make a real investment into having good, solid assistants. Lay the rails for getting the train back on track first then generating some continuity. 

 

 

Link to comment
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

 

I do think the rumored meeting was for Trev to give an update and possibly even say who the guy is.

 

I don't believe that guy was Mickey, win or lose.


I do think that Alberts did want to give Mickey a legitimate shot. 

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Gary Patterson

 

He’s an old pro with a lot of experience. Would have many connections to assemble a competent staff. Skilled at identifying talent and developing it. Could successfully recruit the Texas region. One of the best defensive minds in the business. High character guy that’s a grinder.

 

Not the sexiest of coaches. Maybe he could be teamed up with a couple strong up and coming coordinators. Make a real investment into having good, solid assistants. Lay the rails for getting the train back on track first then generating some continuity. 

 

 

 

Gary Patterson was great in the Mountain West (77-13).  TCU won 11+ games 6 out of 7 years.  

 

Gary Patterson was good his first 6 years in the Big 12 (51-27).  TCU won 11+ games 3 times in 6 years.

 

Gary Patterson was bad his last 4 years in the Big 12 (21-22).  TCU never won more than 7 games in those 4 years.

 

 

  • Plus1 4
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment

2 minutes ago, Micheal said:

What do we think of Kyle Whittingham at Utah? More often or not seems to be around 9 or 10 wins.

 

At Utah he is 151-72. Has been to big time bowl games winning the Sugar and Fiesta and most importantly the famed Foster Farms Bowl. 

 

Great coach. Would welcome him here for sure. 

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, Red Five said:

 

Gary Patterson was great in the Mountain West (77-13).  TCU won 11+ games 6 out of 7 years.  

 

Gary Patterson was good his first 6 years in the Big 12 (51-27).  TCU won 11+ games 3 times in 6 years.

 

Gary Patterson was bad his last 4 years in the Big 12 (21-22).  TCU never won more than 7 games in those 4 years.

 

 


Perhaps Trev has reached out to him for consultation purposes.

Link to comment
5 minutes ago, Micheal said:

What do we think of Kyle Whittingham at Utah? More often or not seems to be around 9 or 10 wins.

 

At Utah he is 151-72. Has been to big time bowl games winning the Sugar and Fiesta and most importantly the famed Foster Farms Bowl. 


Would love it, but I fear he’s too settled at Utah to want to uproot and start completely over.

 

I think Kyle Whittingham, Gary Patterson, or Chris Petersen would’ve been excellent post Bo hires. The program was in a solid place and a competent hire could’ve seized the West a bit. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment

12 minutes ago, Fru said:


Would love it, but I fear he’s too settled at Utah to want to uproot and start completely over.

 

I think Kyle Whittingham, Gary Patterson, or Chris Petersen would’ve been excellent post Bo hires. The program was in a solid place and a competent hire could’ve seized the West a bit. 

 

 

Agreed. He's 62 and he's been at Utah for 28 years. Don't know if he has a brand new rebuild project in him even if he was interested, but he would've/could've been a great steal 6 years ago.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

Seems like a lot of people glossed over the list that was on footballscoop and confirmed by Feldman on Saturday, which was Rhule, Patterson, Bill O'Brien, and Jeff Monken.

 

One thing all these guys have in common: it's not surprising that any of them are looking for work and their employers won't drive up the price.

 

Rhule: Unemployed

Patterson: Currently rehabbing his image as an analyst

Bill O'Brien: Saban school for wayward boys

Monken: Interviewed at Kansas and Illinois this past offseason

 

If someone were to leak, say Leipold to this job it would raise serious red flags to KU's admin and drive up the price. This is the case with any sitting head coach not named Monken, who's been released to interview for other jobs in the past. It would be bad business for anyone interested in scooping this job to ruin their relationship with their NU source this early on, so it's likely to assume that Trev has a longer list than those four and Mickey. 

  • Plus1 5
  • Upvote 1
  • TBH 2
Link to comment
1 hour ago, Micheal said:

What do we think of Kyle Whittingham at Utah? More often or not seems to be around 9 or 10 wins.

 

At Utah he is 151-72. Has been to big time bowl games winning the Sugar and Fiesta and most importantly the famed Foster Farms Bowl. 


Like Whittingham a lot. Also Andy Ludwig his OC. That’s another example of a coach that would’ve been a fit following Pelini. I’d heard that some believed Kyle to be coming to Nebraska at the time. It’s harder seeing it happening now.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, M.A. said:


Like Whittingham a lot. Also Andy Ludwig his OC. That’s another example of a coach that would’ve been a fit following Pelini. I’d heard that some believed Kyle to be coming to Nebraska at the time. It’s harder seeing it happening now.

Agree. Who is the current coach that is in a similar situation as Whittingham was back then?  G5 guys Chadwell, Monken, Calhoun, Gus Ma;zahn.  - P5 guys maybe Gundy, Stoops, Campbell, Kiffin.  At this point I don't want Campbell.  Gundy is a fixture at OSU and probably isn't leaving.  I think the same is true of Stoops at Ky.   

 

Aranda, Leipold, Kleinman, Bielema, Kiffin, Fickell, DeBoer  are all in the process of building something and very well may want to sit this cycle out.  The same may be true of Gus M at UCF.   

 

Trev may think he needs at higher profile guy than the G5 guys outside of Gus - who has had the P5 experience. 

If I was a betting guy, I would be betting on Rhule or Bill O'Brien - both without the burden of being a current HC and that type of contract hanging over them. -  OR  one of the current G5 guys - my preference would be Chadwell or Gus if it is G5.  

 

2 hours ago, huskerpower22 said:

Some examples could be: Bielema, Kiffin, Fickell, Malzahn, Whittingham, DeBoer, Doeren, Aranda, Klieman, Liepold, and Chadwell to name a few.

 

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
59 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

Seems like a lot of people glossed over the list that was on footballscoop and confirmed by Feldman on Saturday, which was Rhule, Patterson, Bill O'Brien, and Jeff Monken.

 

One thing all these guys have in common: it's not surprising that any of them are looking for work and their employers won't drive up the price.

 

Rhule: Unemployed

Patterson: Currently rehabbing his image as an analyst

Bill O'Brien: Saban school for wayward boys

Monken: Interviewed at Kansas and Illinois this past offseason

 

If someone were to leak, say Leipold to this job it would raise serious red flags to KU's admin and drive up the price. This is the case with any sitting head coach not named Monken, who's been released to interview for other jobs in the past. It would be bad business for anyone interested in scooping this job to ruin their relationship with their NU source this early on, so it's likely to assume that Trev has a longer list than those four and Mickey. 

 

Weren't those just reporters throwing crap against the wall like all of us are? I don't think they know anything more than anyone else.

  • Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
Link to comment
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...