Who should our next HC be?

21 minutes ago, Mavric said:

We have run the ball 54% of the time.  Only 21 teams run it over 60% and only 8 of those are Power 5 teams.  Considering how much of the season we've spent playing from behind and how much the line has struggled to run-block, I don't think that's a bad percentage.

Interesting because this link shows our pass play percentage for 2022 as 48.84%:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2022-11-08

2 hours ago, Undone said:

But here's the thing with that: I'm going to say that we did try to "get back to running the ball" this season. We actually brought in a good running back and scheme-wise, we did try.

I just always read these statements as people being upset with the play call mix.

Really what we need is a recruiting staff that prioritizes the offensive line, IMO.

Except when you look specifically at the Minn game, the 1st 2 drives AG had I think over 70 yards rushing. Those 1st 2 drives consisted of primarily 12 personnel and hard play action bootlegs when we mixed in the pass.

Then the 2nd quarter on, we saw basically zero of the formations and plays that actually showed success early in the game. Instead, we saw almost exclusively shotgun, very little play action on pass plays, and the only attempts to run the ball were either draws or silly counter plays, most of which were lucky to get back to the line of scrimmage.

Statistics definitely do not tell the story. If Mickey wants the HC job (which may be out of his reach already), then he needs to force Whipple to call run plays that actually work and stick to them for an entire game. I appreciate Mickey's honesty about that in the presser, but we've got to see it come to fruition on Saturday.

16 minutes ago, Dansker said:

Auburn media seem to think Matt Rhule is headed to Nebraska...

https://huskercorner.com/2022/11/08/nebraska-football-auburn-matt-rhule/amp/

If it is Rhule or anybody not currently coaching, we should know very soon as there is no need to wait until after the Iowa game.  This new coach would need all the time in the world to start assembling a staff and hitting the trail for recruiting.  Perhaps Trev will wait for Sunday to make an announcement to distract from the potential shellacking Saturday at Michigan.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Then the 2nd quarter on, we saw basically zero of the formations and plays that actually showed success early in the game. Instead, we saw almost exclusively shotgun, very little play action on pass plays, and the only attempts to run the ball were either draws or silly counter plays, most of which were lucky to get back to the line of scrimmage.

Statistics definitely do not tell the story. If Mickey wants the HC job (which may be out of his reach already), then he needs to force Whipple to call run plays that actually work and stick to them for an entire game. I appreciate Mickey's honesty about that in the presser, but we've got to see it come to fruition on Saturday.

Statistics maybe don't tell the whole story - but neither does cherry picking one game.

But really this is the point: Frost, Greg Austin, and everybody involved in recruiting & developing offensive linemen were decent at the recruiting part - and complete s*** at the development part (and specifically developing depth).

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The note at the top says that they only include games between FBS schools.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If it is Rhule or anybody not currently coaching, we should know very soon as there is no need to wait until after the Iowa game.  This new coach would need all the time in the world to start assembling a staff and hitting the trail for recruiting.  Perhaps Trev will wait for Sunday to make an announcement to distract from the potential shellacking Saturday at Michigan.

I don't think NU can have a coaching staff recruiting and a different coaching staff coaching the team, at least in the regular season.  It might be different for teams in bowl games.

13 minutes ago, Undone said:

Interesting because this link shows our pass play percentage for 2022 as 48.84%:

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/stat/passing-play-pct?date=2022-11-08

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The note at the top says that they only include games between FBS schools.  We were pretty run-heavy against North Dakota so that probably accounts for the difference.

Combination of the passing play percentage not including UND (41 runs versus 21 passes) and passing play percentage counts sacks as passing plays instead of runs. I don't know that it account for scrambles, because taking out UND and swapping sacks over to passes gets to the 48%. But even then, 65th in passing play percentage is not extreme. I would like to see it a bit higher, but really just consistency would be nice. Whipple will run the ball for stretches, and then hit a point where we'll abandon it for a drive or several as soon as one run is stuffed.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think NU can have a coaching staff recruiting and a different coaching staff coaching the team, at least in the regular season.  It might be different for teams in bowl games.

I know there is a limit on the number of total coaches on the staff, so if we have one opening and the new coach fills it, I would assume he could begin to work on behalf of the program however he sees fit.  Just my speculation though.

• Fire 1

I've pretty much refrained from talking about possible coaches because history shows that some rando usually follows the firing of a fan-favorite and the leaks never get it right at all.

But here are some thoughts on Rhule: Does the guy really give a s*** about trying hard at anything at this point, given that the Panthers owe him $40M still? So we're talking about what they still owe him...and that's on top of what he's accrued from his previous two gigs.

That's kind of where I think the sweet spot is more of the Matt Campbell kind of guy; it isn't just about the resume, it's also stage of career and projections about motivation level.

And to me, Matt Campbell is the type of coach that would be highly motivated to run through a brick wall to be successful here. Again, is his resume the greatest? No. But that isn't necessarily everything.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I know there is a limit on the number of total coaches on the staff, so if we have one opening and the new coach fills it, I would assume he could begin to work on behalf of the program however he sees fit.  Just my speculation though.

I don't know how it exactly works, but the current staff is full to its limit.  A new coach can come in, start assembling his staff (at least on paper), but they can't really do any work (recruiting) until the rest of the staff is let go.  I think there are exceptions for teams in bowl games, but not during the regular season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't know how it exactly works, but the current staff is full to its limit.  A new coach can come in, start assembling his staff (at least on paper), but they can't really do any work (recruiting) until the rest of the staff is let go.  I think there are exceptions for teams in bowl games, but not during the regular season.

I think there may be some exceptions you can file for but I don't think there will really be anything during the season.

What we are hopefully doing is getting the new HC lined up so he has time to start getting his choices for assistants figured out.  Because we really need to have most of the staff ready to go on December 5th.

Even if we don't announce the new guy until after the Iowa game he can hopefully do some checking on who might be interested so he can move quickly on quite a few guys that next week.  And possibly even be deciding/interviewing any current assistants who he might want to keep.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, Undone said:

But here are some thoughts on Rhule: Does the guy really give a s*** about trying hard at anything at this point, given that the Panthers owe him $40M still? So we're talking about what they still owe him...and that's on top of what he's accrued from his previous two gigs.

Sometimes you have to wonder where coaches want to be. Like there's some rumors that Bill O'Brien still wants to get back to the NFL. Does Rhule want another crack at the NFL, or has he gotten that out of his system?

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

I've pretty much refrained from talking about possible coaches because history shows that some rando usually follows the firing of a fan-favorite and the leaks never get it right at all.

That's kind of where I think the sweet spot is more of the Matt Campbell kind of guy; it isn't just about the resume, it's also stage of career and projections about motivation level.

And to me, Matt Campbell is the type of coach that would be highly motivated to run through a brick wall to be successful here. Again, is his resume the greatest? No. But that isn't necessarily everything.

Would you take the job?  Just asking because I know I would be happy on an island somewhere. However, Coaches are wired different and the competitive edge keeps em going. I know business owners that love winning so much that they keep going and building,  even though they could sell at a big profit and go away. Its in their blood and the only thing I really worry about with Rhule is that he would leave for Penn State. 

2 minutes ago, Toe said:

Sometimes you have to wonder where coaches want to be. Like there's some rumors that Bill O'Brien still wants to get back to the NFL. Does Rhule want another crack at the NFL, or has he gotten that out of his system?

Agreed - if his drive is there, then maybe he wants to shake off the failure, and that's what motivates him.

But damn, being owed $40M on top of what you've already accrued...wouldn't really need to work another day in your life (unless you'd acquired an addiction to Lambo's and fifth beach houses in Florida, etc.).

1 minute ago, huskerpower22 said:

Would you take the job?  Just asking because I know I would be happy on an island somewhere.

I would probably take the beach as well.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I think there may be some exceptions you can file for but I don't think there will really be anything during the season.

What we are hopefully doing is getting the new HC lined up so he has time to start getting his choices for assistants figured out.  Because we really need to have most of the staff ready to go on December 5th.

Even if we don't announce the new guy until after the Iowa game he can hopefully do some checking on who might be interested so he can move quickly on quite a few guys that next week.  And possibly even be deciding/interviewing any current assistants who he might want to keep.

Completely agree, and the new head coach and his staff will need to hit the ground running.  I just think it's a misconception that a new coach can be hired, have assistant coaches come in, and they can go out on the recruiting trail, while there is 2 1/2 weeks left in the regular season.  There has to be exceptions for teams that are in bowl games, because when NU played USC in the bowl game in December 2014, there was a staff of Nebraska coaches doing the bowl game, while Riley and his staff were assembled and out on the recruiting trail (although there was no December signing period, and some of December might have been a dead period then).

• Fire 1