Who should our next HC be?

22 minutes ago, BigRedN said:

For me ... this type of statement comes off as "apologist".  It's like Frost stating yesterday that "the offense needed to get a bit more creative".  He makes it out like that was the problem ... when he bloviated all off-season about all his improvements.  None was more clear than in his OL and DL.  Those guys are working so hard they are throwing up in practices.  Then, in a game they get manhandled by another bottom dweller team and have no push on D.

At present, Knebraska is on it's was to a winless season.  Ya, we know it won't happen because it's a puff schedule.

I think it's worse because Frost has set himself up to state that there has been so much improvement ... but the game film and score shows the facts.  I don't know why anyone wants to justify it ... but they do.  What gives?

The creativity comment (I've bolded) is a real smack in the face to a coordinator. Not only is it inaccurate but it's cheap and isn't constructive.

Creativeness wasn't the issue. We operated well offensively for the first game with a newly installed scheme aside from a lack of a running game which is mostly attributable to the play of the line. There was improvement. Rushing wasn't nearly sufficient enough. Part of that aspect might've been scheme sure but how much of it was dictated by what the line is capable of...

We need to find ways to proliferate physicality on both sides of the ball. 

We weren't effective stopping the pass or run. Didn't put pressure on the opposing quarterback. Tackling was often poor. The onside kick attempt was a momentum buster. We never regained our composure after that.  Just about every area of our game play deserves scrutiny. The offense needing to be more "creative" isn't one of them. Don't do that to the person that's going to bat with (and for) you. 

If Scott had said that we could've played better in about every area and that we were not the physical team that we need to be that would have been on target. Swing and a miss. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
51 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I'm really not arguing for or against MJ being the next HC.  I just find it odd both him and Whipple come here under our current circumstances without some type of arrangements or promises.  

They got 2 year contracts, so no matter what happens they are getting paid.  

Whipple wasn't going back to Pitt.  He was on his way to retiring and we threw him almost $2M.  Of course he decided to join for one last adventure.

I'm guessing Mickey had other options, but the allure of coming back was too good to pass up.  There probably is part of him that thinks he might be able to parlay being an assistant here to the HC gig.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, gobiggergoredder said:

As bad as it is.  Riley was worse.  They were on their way to a winless season if he stayed.  I have no doubt.

Riley was a different kind of bad.  

Scott is near narcissist who takes no accountability and is a poor leader.

Riley is cream puff who is thrilled to be mediocre.  

Scott can't get out of his own way.  His fire and passion can be built upon.  It's his ego and inability to lead anyone that will be his downfall.  

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Come on now im upset with how they played but there is still a season to play. Let the season play out before we start naming coaches to replace him. Yes I can understand everybody's frustrations with the onside kick and the defense but this is the very crap that the kids have to come back and listen too. 

@Moiraineis going to take over until they hire the new staff, she volunteered.

13 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Riley was a different kind of bad.  

Scott is near narcissist who takes no accountability and is a poor leader.

Riley is cream puff who is thrilled to be mediocre.  

Scott can't get out of his own way.  His fire and passion can be built upon.  It's his ego and inability to lead anyone that will be his downfall.  

Who can help Frost build upon his fire and passion? We need to find that person. I thought Coach Osborne would be a great resource for Frost when times got tough either Frost would reach out to Coach Osborne or Osborne would reach out to Frost and of course Frost would listen. Even Alberts himself could be a guy that maybe could be a resource to help Frost learn how to build upon his fire and passion, given that he too was a former Husker and is Frost's boss. If Frost doesn't listen to these guys for assistance, who in the hell would he listen to?

I don't think Frost is his true self since returning to Nebraska to take this job. Looking back now, I just don't think he was ready for this type of project. He was loose and having fun at UCF, I remember after UCF beat USF and UCF just won their conference the reporter post-game asked him about the Nebraska job and you could see the pain in Frost's face and hear it in his reply. The guy was torn. I think he loved UCF, I think he knew deep down it was better for him to stay at UCF to build himself more and prepare him more for a job like this. But at the same time I think he loved Nebraska and knew just how badly we needed him at the time and with a bit of arrogance, as any D1 coach should have, he thought he could turn it around but maybe deep down he knew it was a taunting task and in order to mask that daunting task he seemed to have changed his ways of how he ran things in UCF. He doesn't seem nearly as creative, loose and fun at Nebraska as he did at UCF. When he does try to get creative, loose and fun things they are situations and plays like the onside kick and they just backfire and come across was dumb. 

Only now by looking back and knowing what we know now, I think ultimately we just took Frost a little too early. He needed more time to grow at UCF and learn some things. Mainly let him make mistakes there and let him learn from those mistakes. But at the same time we knew this when we hired him, that there would be growing pains because he was an inexperienced young head coach at a top program. We were willing to dump a veteran experienced coach who wasn't winning here for a younger homegrown Cornhusker and figured if we are going to go through dark times, let's go through those times with one of our own. These are those times, we are living it. The problem we find ourselves in now is, the same exact mistakes we saw yesterday are the same exact mistakes and outcomes we saw in year 1, 2, 3, and 4 and there hasn't been any growth or improvement to make us think that things change in year 5 or beyond.

I think on paper everything about this hire seemed like a grand slam and it seemed like the perfect timing. But I think now, going on 5 year later we all are seeing that the timing was actually not right at all.

• Haha 1
42 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

Who can help Frost build upon his fire and passion? We need to find that person. I thought Coach Osborne would be a great resource for Frost when times got tough either Frost would reach out to Coach Osborne or Osborne would reach out to Frost and of course Frost would listen. Even Alberts himself could be a guy that maybe could be a resource to help Frost learn how to build upon his fire and passion, given that he too was a former Husker and is Frost's boss. If Frost doesn't listen to these guys for assistance, who in the hell would he listen to?

I don't think Frost is his true self since returning to Nebraska to take this job. Looking back now, I just don't think he was ready for this type of project. He was loose and having fun at UCF, I remember after UCF beat USF and UCF just won their conference the reporter post-game asked him about the Nebraska job and you could see the pain in Frost's face and hear it in his reply. The guy was torn. I think he loved UCF, I think he knew deep down it was better for him to stay at UCF to build himself more and prepare him more for a job like this. But at the same time I think he loved Nebraska and knew just how badly we needed him at the time and with a bit of arrogance, as any D1 coach should have, he thought he could turn it around but maybe deep down he knew it was a taunting task and in order to mask that daunting task he seemed to have changed his ways of how he ran things in UCF. He doesn't seem nearly as creative, loose and fun at Nebraska as he did at UCF. When he does try to get creative, loose and fun things they are situations and plays like the onside kick and they just backfire and come across was dumb. 

Only now by looking back and knowing what we know now, I think ultimately we just took Frost a little too early. He needed more time to grow at UCF and learn some things. Mainly let him make mistakes there and let him learn from those mistakes. But at the same time we knew this when we hired him, that there would be growing pains because he was an inexperienced young head coach at a top program. We were willing to dump a veteran experienced coach who wasn't winning here for a younger homegrown Cornhusker and figured if we are going to go through dark times, let's go through those times with one of our own. These are those times, we are living it. The problem we find ourselves in now is, the same exact mistakes we saw yesterday are the same exact mistakes and outcomes we saw in year 1, 2, 3, and 4 and there hasn't been any growth or improvement to make us think that things change in year 5 or beyond.

I think on paper everything about this hire seemed like a grand slam and it seemed like the perfect timing. But I think now, going on 5 year later we all are seeing that the timing was actually not right at all.

Scott's place, at this level, is not head coach right now.  But that's just a symptom.  The thing that made him a great player is now turning out to be his B1G coaching downfall.

Ego.

Player Scott - "You think Michigan can beat us, vote for them.  But...we're better" attitude.  

Coach Scott - B1G will need to adapt to us, I can't generate points, or wins, so make sure I throw the new staff under the bus, twice in Week 0 and keep to my narcissistic patterns.  

If Scott were a humble leader, he'd look at Whipple and apologize deeply.  He'd go to Busch and say he trusts him...great job on getting that unit ready to play.  He'd go to the transfers and ask them what made the cultures and coaches special...maybe adopt some patterns or parallels.  He'd go to the Captains and demand different than what they've delivered, but in a way that removes encumbrances and not adds pressure to kids whose frontal lobes aren't developed for another few years.  They're still kids to be shaped and molded.

It's on him.  Pure and simple.  And his ego continues to bite.

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

Can we get a gofundme started for Moiraine?  (Thinks about onside kick call yesterday) TAKE MY MONEY

That was my first thought. I know not to do that thing. How hard can the rest be. I mean a bunch of 20 year olds will surely listen to a middle aged woman who’s never played football. 

• Oh Yeah! 3
3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Army and Air Force win 9+ games every year with it. They don't really recruit. Navy has a couple 11 win seasons recently.

Why does everyone think any coach (outside of Urban Meyer) in Lincoln would get kids to come here instead of Columbus, Ann Arbor, or Madison? Ohio State beats us for recruits 9 times out of 10, and it shows on Saturdays. We will NEVER out-recruit, out-spread, out-pass, or be more athletic than them.

We need to be different and unique.  Hard to prepare for. Right now we don't look much different than most of the B1G. We wouldn't have to worry about wasting recruiting time going against the rest of the B1G for 4/5 star QBs and WR, and we could focus on building a legitimate defense that doesn't give up 550 yards to Northwestern. 

Other than being the B1G doormat and the "gimme" game on the schedule...I get your point.  I agree.  Go back to what made NU great.  A team that beat you down so hard on Sat it impacted your next game as well. Run the damn ball.  And no, NU runs the ball a lot, but not physical down hill running game.  Yards doesn't equate to being dedicated to running the damn ball.  

• Plus1 2
18 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

Scott's place, at this level, is not head coach right now.  But that's just a symptom.  The thing that made him a great player is now turning out to be his B1G coaching downfall.

Ego.

Player Scott - "You think Michigan can beat us, vote for them.  But...we're better" attitude.  

Coach Scott - B1G will need to adapt to us, I can't generate points, or wins, so make sure I throw the new staff under the buss, twice in Week 0 and keep to my narcissistic patterns.  

If Scott were a humble leader, he'd look at Whipple and apologize deeply.  He'd go to Busch and say he trusts him...great job on getting that unit ready to play.  He'd go to the transfers and ask them what made the cultures and coaches special...maybe adopt some patterns or parallels.  He'd go to the Captains and demand different than what they've delivered, but in a way that removes encumbrances and not adds pressure to kids whose frontal lobes aren't developed for another few years.  They're still kids to be shaped and molded.

It's on him.  Pure and simple.  And his ego continues to bite.

I agree with your assessment. These poor leadership qualities were evident starting in Season 2 and have only gotten worse as each year has passed.  He was stubbornly loyal to his UCF staff and only made a change this season when his hand was forced.   He has always been a guy looking out for himself, as a player and now as a coach, which is why he chooses to blame others rather than look inwardly.