Who should our next HC be?

25 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

Does anyone think the best way to handle this is to have a presser on Monday and annouce that the OU game will be Frost's last?  Get the interest early and make the transition smooth.  Maybe fire up or make the players crumble. Either way it is a good sign for the next coach to see who he should work on keeping and who to ask to leave 

If you have a bird in hand for next year, yes. It better be a home run guy and not some jobber  from pee wee tech.

54 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

Because after 20 years we all know that nobody real or good is coming here. Either our guys are not committed enough to bring them in or we don't offer enough upside to motivate power coaches to want to take on the challenge. One way or the other, the big brain coaches are not going to don the scarlet and cream, that we all feel in our poor, miserable souls.

I'm sure he can go on administrative leave for a few weeks or something.

How do figure this? We are in one of the two conferences you want to be in with one of the only self sufficient athletic departments in the country. Yes, everyone in the Big Ten has money, but not everyone in the Big Ten doesn't have to spend that money on a science building or a dining hall. We also seem to have boosters who are willing to pay coaches and into the NIL with the best of them. 

1 minute ago, gorp512 said:

How do figure this? We are in one of the two conferences you want to be in with one of the only self sufficient athletic departments in the country. Yes, everyone in the Big Ten has money, but not everyone in the Big Ten doesn't have to spend that money on a science building or a dining hall. We also seem to have boosters who are willing to pay coaches and into the NIL with the best of them. 

I couldn't agree with you more.

• Thanks 1

There are only 65 P5 head coaching positions available. There are extremely few jobs promising $5 million a year or more. Lincoln Nebraska is no crappier a destination that many successful football programs. Our facilities remain top tier. And no other school would make you the biggest hero in an entire state for winning six games and a trip to the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit. 

Expecting us to find a better head coach is hardly outlandish. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

1. Mullen- Offensive guru and can win. Good SEC ties for recruiting.

2. Harsin- steady developer and will be looking for a new home.

3. Matt Campbell- steady developer but can't recruit. Could be Riley 2.0.

4. O'Brien- doesnt seem to be as competent as the others.

Urbs aint coming, Aranda is going to Auburn, and Fickell- I'm meh on him.

People keep saying Mullen. His defense looked as bad as ours does this year with Florida talent. 

1 hour ago, BoNeyard said:

Emotionally we want Frost fired today, but the most business sense here is to wait until October 1st. He has one more game to coach and that is Oklahoma, we all suffer through that game and come October 1st he is gone. It would make no sense to fire him today or tomorrow because we will save so much money if we wait a couple weeks. We aren't winning the Oklahoma game no matter who is coaching this year, it's still very early in the season to panic over recruiting class, which that entire landscape has changed with NIL and the transfer portal, so I don't think making swift moves to save a recruiting class is that high of a priority. 

But we kept him and restructured his contract to make his buyout lower in October. As a business sense it would be foolish to fire him weeks before that decrease in buyout. 

I quoted you last night on this also, but he's got TWO games left.  They aren't firing him the day of the Indiana game and leaving an interim to figure out out in 3 hours.  That would be a really crappy thing to do to your players.  I'd believe 10/2 at the earliest, maybe after Purdue for the bye week,  if not after Iowa.  I don't think it's guaranteed to be a mid season thing at all. 

He still has a 5 day suspension to serve, unless they just didn't make that public. 

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I quoted you last night on this also, but he's got TWO games left.  They aren't firing him the day of the Indiana game and leaving an interim to figure out out in 3 hours.  That would be a really crappy thing to do to your players.  I'd believe 10/2 at the earliest, maybe after Purdue for the bye week,  if not after Iowa.  I don't think it's guaranteed to be a mid season thing at all. 

He still has a 5 day suspension to serve, unless they just didn't make that public. 

Well I'll be damned. Never freaking mind!

https://www.bluebombers.com/mike-o-shea/

Due to the reports of Mike O'Shea agreeing to extension it has not been made official and he is already the hottest Football coach in the sport. 

Trev Alberts who has ties with the CFL and the city of Winnipeg had NU officials in attendance at the big Blue Bombers game yesterday. This has already made the news in Winnipeg and 

it is now known that NU want Mike O'Shea to lead the NU program.

For those who do not know who 'OSH is.

He has literally turned around a struggling franchise and won back to back Grey Cup Championships. Coach of the year and is currently 12-1 and on pace to shattering CFL team and coach records for the '22 season. 

They are currently playing for a 3 peat.

GM is rumored to be stepping down to become AD of an Ontario CIS program. O'Shea last year turned down various NFL offers and a broadcasting offer is currently on the table at TSN Sports.

He is a leader. And players play for him like no other coach. He was a champion as a player and now coach.

NU offer will have to be a good one to leave the CFL and $ wont be the issue. Building a strong program and how they do it is what will make him want to come to Nebraska.

Yes, Mike Riley was a former Blue Bombers and CFL coach. There is that. But O'Shea is on a different level now and might be the coach NU needs.

• Haha 2

Maybe I am being too negative here, but I don't have trust/faith in Trev to bring someone in that can truly get this straightened out. I have been in the camp if you fire Frost, who really comes here? We can throw all kinds of money at someone, but is truly a big name hire out there that wants to come to Nebraska? My feelings (right now) is it will be some random up and comer that has done well in a lower conference/level and that is not what this program needs right now. This program needs a veteran guy that has a solid track record with recruiting, developing, and winning....

• Plus1 1