Who should our next HC be?

1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

This hire needs to get the program stabilized and getting marginally better over the next two or three years.  The Big Ten is tough and getting tougher.  Adding more above average P5 teams makes the schedule tougher.  That’ll make this hire a good hire if that can be done. Even getting to a 7-8 win level is nearly doubling our win rate of the last 5–8 years.  
Our SOS will be as high as ever in all probability over the next 5 years.  

ABSENT a splash hire (Meyer mostly), it will be amazing to see a ten win season in the next 5.  Imo.  

I just threw up a little when I also realized that if we win 6 games next season, that will be the same amount of wins as 2021 and 2022 combined....

I think the hire will go a long way into getting us back on track (duh).  But I also think scheme will go a long way in turning this ship around.  Winning will also increase winning....I'm just ready to see who our next coach will be.  

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Enhance said:

Personally, no. Even in the off chance one or both of those happen, it's a bit too little too late in the process. We're approximately 18 days out from a likely announcement and I imagine (or, hope) Trev is in the final stages of negotiations. I think it is unrealistic to tell a preferred candidate "hey, give us a couple more weeks to see if our interim pans out." By that point, his preferred candidate could decide to take another opportunity that's more solidified.

Plus, imagine telling a candidate to hang on, MJ loses the rest of these games, AND the candidate got impatient and bailed. That would be an absolute dumpster fire.

I'm willing to believe the new coach is a done deal or very close. And I'm sure Mickey already knows where he stands whether its HC, Assistant, or Out.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, hskrpwr13 said:

I'm willing to believe the new coach is a done deal or very close. And I'm sure Mickey already knows where he stands whether its HC, Assistant, or Out.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/morning-dump/id1651719138?i=1000585669923

DB is of the opinion that Coach Joseph will not be the choice….but is likely to stay on. He would know based on his relationship with him.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Toe said:

Rumors from two months ago. And Trev has said that not everyone he talks to is a candidate, he's just trying to get opinions.

Exactly. Sipple said last night that Trev has also spoken with Dabo Swinney and Nick Saban. I doubt either is a realistic candidate for the job.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, HANC said:

Gotcha......and yes, I agree with you on that sentiment in terms of he may hire a bb coach.  I guess I was referring to it being his only and last football hire.  I didn't clarify.

Which, I get what you're saying and agree.  However, I don't agree with that being what should happen.  I always think it's stupid that if an AD hires a football coach that doesn't work out that he gets fired too.  That makes absolutely no sense in any other employment situation.  If Trev goes through a thorough coaching search and talks to everyone he should reasonably talk to and takes the best advice and hires what people think is a good hire....and that guy doesn't work out....I don't think it should automatically be that Trev is fired.  

It's an idiotic mentality.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Fire 1
33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

This is a disingenuous argument at best. None of those teams had an offensive line that executed the Matador blocking scheme as effectively as ours. 

Plus these teams had sufficient talent on the lines and 2-Deep. Nebraska OTOH...

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1
Just now, hskrpwr13 said:

I'd have to know the state of their O and D lines to determine if those are apples-apples comparisons. Other first year coaches are not having that level of success.

All of those schools are either in, or border prime recruiting states also so they are in better shape overall than we are.

• Fire 1
  • TBH 1

50 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Not to pile on because I actually do think we can make noticeable improvements quickly because 1) we're not as far off as many want to believe and 2) you can change a roster quickly in the Portal era.

But four of those schools are in the Top 11 in Roster Talent.  And the one that isn't (TCU) isn't all that far removed from a string of three 11-win seasons in a four-year stretch.   None of which describes us.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1