Who should our next HC be?

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Not to pile on because I actually do think we can make noticeable improvements quickly because 1) we're not as far off as many want to believe and 2) you can change a roster quickly in the Portal era.

But four of those schools are in the Top 11 in Roster Talent.  And the one that isn't (TCU) isn't all that far removed from a string of three 11-win seasons in a four-year stretch.   None of which describes us.

I know there are different factors with each team as has been pointed out by you and others.  My point of posting that is that the right coach and staff can show noticeable improvement quickly. I don’t expect to be in the playoffs next year. But, we can win more games and get to a bowl…..etc.  

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

But, we can win more games and get to a bowl

6-6 should be doable with a competent staff.  We should have 4 baked in wins on the schedule (I know, I know...).

@ Colorado #123 SP+ / #120 FPI

La Tech #116 SP+ / #106 FPI

N Illinois #113 SP+ / #111 FPI

Northwestern #94 SP+ / #91 FPI

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I know there are different factors with each team as has been pointed out by you and others.  My point of posting that is that the right coach and staff can show noticeable improvement quickly. I don’t expect to be in the playoffs next year. But, we can win more games and get to a bowl…..etc.  

Oh I definitely agree.  People get really hung up on a 3-9 record (or whatever) and think we need to be twice as good of a team to get twice as many wins.  We don't have to be much better.  We could easily have been a 6-win team last year with just a few more plays made.  Had we fired Chinander a year ago we likely could have beaten Northwestern and GaSouthern this year and been to five already.

We are not that far off.  We just need to clean up a few things and be a more consistent team.  Which is apparently a lot harder to do than it seems.  But just because we haven't been able to do it doesn't mean it can't be done and in short order.

• Plus1 2

Admittedly as I've said several times over, I'm was, still am and likely will continue to be a MJ as Head Coach supporter (Not popular I know) but what surprises me is how tight lipped and to the vest this process remains. There's zero real leads and those that seem concrete are speculative at best. The longer this drags on though the more convinced I am that Trev has already made the hire. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Admittedly as I've said several times over, I'm was, still am and likely will continue to be a MJ as Head Coach supporter (Not popular I know) but what surprises me is how tight lipped and to the vest this process remains. There's zero real leads and those that seem concrete are speculative at best. The longer this drags on though the more convinced I am that Trev has already made the hire. 

I haven't been surprised at all by this process, even though it's been a very long process.  Trev is a professional, and with him working through a search firm, who can handle all of the contacting of candidates and agents,  there doesn't need to be a lot of information shared with the public, boosters, or media.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Not to pile on because I actually do think we can make noticeable improvements quickly because 1) we're not as far off as many want to believe and 2) you can change a roster quickly in the Portal era.

But four of those schools are in the Top 11 in Roster Talent.  And the one that isn't (TCU) isn't all that far removed from a string of three 11-win seasons in a four-year stretch.   None of which describes us.

Yeah. None of those schools were anywhere close to the bottom of the barrel as we are and have been for 6 years. Things can get turned more quickly than the old days but to expect to be at that level in one or two years is a bridge too far (may 2 or 3 bridges) IMHO.

12 minutes ago, Dogs In A Pile said:

Yeah. None of those schools were anywhere close to the bottom of the barrel as we are and have been for 6 years. Things can get turned more quickly than the old days but to expect to be at that level in one or two years is a bridge too far (may 2 or 3 bridges) IMHO.

Maybe, maybe not. The ways in which we are bottom of the barrel are not entirely but mostly all related to incompetency of the staff and ripple outwards from there. Especially S&C. We're not bottom of the barrel in the same way that say Kansas and Oregon State have been where there's very little raw resources to maximize - we have a lot of good resources, including talent, that haven't been realized in any way.

But the resources are there. With just average performance by a coaching staff this team as it currently exists should be a 6-7 win team. Bring in the right staff, get a solid foundation started with an offseason of effective S&C and fill some holes in the transfer portal and the potential to be decent or better very fast isn't unrealistic.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Previous 5 Year Records (from most to least recent)

TCU - 5-7, 6-4, 5-7, 7-6, 11-3 (2 losing seasons, 34-27 total)

Oregon - 10-4, 4-3, 12-2, 9-4, 7-6 (0 losing seasons, 42-19 total)

USC - 4-8, 5-1, 8-5, 5-7, 11-3 (2 losing seasons, 33-24 total)

LSU - 6-7, 5-5, 15-0, 10-3, 9-4 (1 losing season, 45-19 total)

Tennessee - 7-6, 3-7, 8-5, 5-7, 4-8 (3 losing seasons, 27-33 total)

Nebraska - 3-9, 3-5, 5-7, 4-8, 4-8 (5 losing seasons, 19-37 total)

We can flip our fate, but not as fast as these programs did. They were already set up to succeed, just needed the right guy to run the ship. We are more of a rebuild, and we don’t have the local talent like these schools do. I do think that we have the NIL advantage which can help us, but OL and DL are really important to recruit, and you have to have the right people recruiting them. We must hire the right guy based on results, not huskerboard fans’ feelings.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

We are not that far off.  We just need to clean up a few things and be a more consistent team.  Which is apparently a lot harder to do than it seems.  But just because we haven't been able to do it doesn't mean it can't be done and in short order.

I couldn't agree more.

I stand by the opinion that this team is a decent coach (doesn't even have to be great) and one (at most two) recruiting cycles away from being divisional contenders. Obviously easier said than done, but with how college football is structured these days, you can go from being a bed wetter to a contender in very short order. It's absolutely achievable and Nebraska has more resources than a lot of other programs that have found ways to pull it off.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 1

We have a talent development issue, which leads to a talent issue.  We have rankings that suggest we have like talent compared to other schools, but we do not have developed talent.  We will learn a lot about things when we play Colorado next season.  Both teams will have new HC and staff.  We will know right away if we are going in the right direction.  Colorado is maybe one of the worst P-5 schools I have watched play football in the last 10 years.  They have no talent.

I think we are 3 season away from having a 7-5 season or better.  We might get 6-6 right away, but I don't know for sure.  We need more players developed, and that just doesn't happen in one off season.  Portal will be huge, but we are competing against every other school for the same types of players.

• Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I couldn't agree more.

I stand by the opinion that this team is a decent coach (doesn't even have to be great) and one (at most two) recruiting cycles away from being divisional contenders. Obviously easier said than done, but with how college football is structured these days, you can go from being a bed wetter to a contender in very short order. It's absolutely achievable and Nebraska has more resources than a lot of other programs that have found ways to pull it off.

We have had these resources for decades now, and we still have not done anything with several coaches for 20 years.  The whole resources issue is mispoken in my opinion.  The biggest resource a program can have or get is players.  We are not getting those on campus.  So, I do agree that we do have resources, but we have had these resources and not gotten it done.  My question is how does this change with this hire?  Other than Urban Meyer, I don't see a name that would draw elite talent to Lincoln. 

• Fire 2
  • TBH 1