Who should our next HC be?

39 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

If we narrow the list to the guys currently not coaching....

Urban Meyer

Tom Herman

Chris Petersen

Dan Mullen

Ed Orgeron

Bob Stoops

anybody else?

I am interested by Leipold. I brought him up in a different thread, the dude has won everywhere he has went. He turned Buffalo into a quality program while he was there, and in just his 2nd year at KU (the worst program in P5 and maybe the FBS) he has them playing decent football. He doesn't need great recruits to win and he apparently develops his players. Plus he seems to be a physical run first type of coach which is what nebraska needs to get back to

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

People keep saying Mullen. His defense looked as bad as ours does this year with Florida talent. 

Dude did what Matt Campbell has done in the SEC WEST. In his first two seasons at UF he 10 and 11 games respectively. And has given SABAN a run for his money everytime they played when he was HC at Florida. He gave Burrow's LSU a run for the money. He has played Kirby tough. He was 34-15 at Florida. Not too shabby.

He has recruiting ties to the south. Give him decent recruiting coaches, ala our RB and WR coach, along with poaching Arky's o-line coach and a good DC, and he can make waves.

Really believe if he is our guy and our talent on Offense stays another year, we'll be in Indy next year.

Edit: And for everyone that wants Urbs, Mullen was the OC when Urbs win the natties at UF. Dude can win with a pocket passer or running qb.

• Plus1 1
12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Coaching hires are always a risk. Alabama had Bear Bryant, then didn’t do squat for 15 years, and then won a natty with Gene Stallings (who was a failed NFL coach). Then after Stallings left Bama went thru multiple coaches before landing Saban (another failed NFL coach). It’s not an exact science, but thinking about a new coach is exciting. 

12 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Stoops hasn’t coached college football for over 5 years. He wouldn’t be a home run hire, and would have plenty of risks. There is no such thing as a sure-thing. 

Agree. There's no guarantee that Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops or Tom Osborne time traveled from 1993 would succeed. It's fun to debate the merits of different coaches but at the end of the day no one really has any idea.

Really, Scott Frost was the biggest home run hire the Huskers could have made, and it didn't work out.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

Agree. There's no guarantee that Urban Meyer or Bob Stoops or Tom Osborne time traveled from 1993 would succeed. It's fun to debate the merits of different coaches but at the end of the day no one really has any idea.

Really, Scott Frost was the biggest home run hire the Huskers could have made, and it didn't work out.

This is extremely true! I think we forget that Frost was considered a sure thing, and that he would have been at Florida but he chose to try to come home and save his alma mater. Frost had a long leash at NU but was under extreme pressure to be the savior. He will end up somewhere else as an OC where he'll have success and probably be a decent HC somewhere else. 

• Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

I am interested by Leipold. I brought him up in a different thread, the dude has won everywhere he has went. He turned Buffalo into a quality program while he was there, and in just his 2nd year at KU (the worst program in P5 and maybe the FBS) he has them playing decent football. He doesn't need great recruits to win and he apparently develops his players. Plus he seems to be a physical run first type of coach which is what nebraska needs to get back to

You really want to risk hiring a guy who had a worse record than Frost last year?

23 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Dude did what Matt Campbell has done in the SEC WEST. In his first two seasons at UF he 10 and 11 games respectively. And has given SABAN a run for his money everytime they played when he was HC at Florida. He gave Burrow's LSU a run for the money. He has played Kirby tough. He was 34-15 at Florida. Not too shabby.

He has recruiting ties to the south. Give him decent recruiting coaches, ala our RB and WR coach, along with poaching Arky's o-line coach and a good DC, and he can make waves.

Really believe if he is our guy and our talent on Offense stays another year, we'll be in Indy next year.

Edit: And for everyone that wants Urbs, Mullen was the OC when Urbs win the natties at UF. Dude can win with a pocket passer or running qb.

He's one guy I think everyone would be OK with... solid coach and appears to be a decent human being.

5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

You really want to risk hiring a guy who had a worse record than Frost last year?

He was at KU, the worst program in all of P5. It was his first year there, and he wasn't there for their spring ball season even. Look at the improvement they've made already in 1 year. He's shown more capability to develop players in 1 year then any coach we've had since Osborne has left. So yea I'd take the risk. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

He was at KU, the worst program in all of P5. It was his first year there, and he wasn't there for their spring ball season even. Look at the improvement they've made already in 1 year. He's shown more capability to develop players in 1 year then any coach we've had since Osborne has left. So yea I'd take the risk. 

Way too risky, imo, but that's just me.

Just now, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Way too risky, imo, but that's just me.

I understand and respect where you're coming from. I'm just not convinced that NU is going to attract a big name "splash" hire that is bing thrown out right now, and I'm game for hiring a guy that has resurrected programs in the crapper and appears to be able to develop players