Who should our next HC be?

51 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I have a weird feeling that Gary Patterson might be our next HC. He was considered five years ago and we went with the winner Fraud Frost. Given the slim Pickens out there, he might be given a shot.

It wouldn't make sense given the school's NIL you go with the anti-NIL guy

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

3 hours ago, Jeremy said:

Besides, why are we talking about championships when we can't even make a bowl game? Let's build up our lines, one game at a time, and little by little, fight back into this thing.

If we're talking about bowl games, we've made plenty of those with more pass heavy offenses relative to the 90s.

You really can't make up your mind what your own argument is any further than "run good, pass bad".

1 hour ago, Jeremy said:

Maybe. I would argue that the Flexbone has enough variations that we could keep defenses guessing, because on any given play, 1 of 4 people could end up with the ball inside or outside. 

With the proliferation of the spread, defenses have responded by becoming quicker, but smaller. 3-fronts, combo-backers, and extra DBs on the field. Teams couldn't do that against us. They couldn't run their regular defenses against us, nor make reads that they're used to. We would be difficult to prepare for. 

That's very true but kids these days have aspirations to get to the nfl.  Im not saying they didn't have it in the past but kids don't want to be a running option qb and then have to switch positions once the nfl comes calling. In this day and age kids want to be well rounded in the position they play.

6 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

If we're talking about bowl games, we've made plenty of those with more pass heavy offenses relative to the 90s.

You really can't make up your mind what your own argument is any further than "run good, pass bad".

Yes, we have made bowl games. But, even then I remember so many cases of 'who are we,' 'what's our identity?' And we didn't really have one. We had both pocket passers, dual-threats, and we tried to be a team that could do it all.  

But we couldn't. Starting with the lines, they were just never quite good enough, never enough practice time to be able to pass-block and bulldoze like teams in the top 10. Running backs that we expected to break tackles, pass-block, jump-cut, and have soft hands out of the backfield. Hard to find. We recruited hundreds of 4 and 5 star receivers, but very few elite guys came, most not seeing the ball enough for their liking anyway.

My argument is that a guy like Monken gives you an identity right away, and there's no question as what we're all about. Sure, we'd lose a lot to the portal initially, but something tells me that will happen anyway. 3 straight 3-win seasons can do that. 

We start with making a bowl, and keep building. Contend for the West, and punish the conference for having small defenders they have to recruit to keep up with Ohio State and everyone's spread game. 

We've tried everything else, why not go back?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's very true but kids these days have aspirations to get to the nfl.  Im not saying they didn't have it in the past but kids don't want to be a running option qb and then have to switch positions once the nfl comes calling. In this day and age kids want to be well rounded in the position they play.

We haven't put QBs in the NFL since the 70s, why start expecting to now? The Flexbone is simple, and we could get a lot of guys able to run it. It's actually one of the advantages the service academies have - if the starter goes down, the back-ups can still effectively run the offense because all of the pressure isn't on that position.

Right now we look completely lost without Thompson out there, because this offense requires a guy who is hard to find. And even then, I'm pretty sure Thompson has as many interceptions as he does touchdowns. 

We will never get the NFL-bound QBs. We need to focus on what we can recruit. Linemen and bruising running backs. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2