Who should our next HC be?

10 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

That no one can win anything significant running that style of offense so we should? Makes perfect sense. Someone contact Trev quick. We need to try something that doesnt work 

Osborne's offense was actually the precursor of the spread option offenses.  So you have Ohio State, Coastal Carolina to name a few.  If Frost had actually done what he said he was going to do and add in the power game to his offense things might have been different.  But he was more interested in whatever he was doing off the field to make it work. 

I'll give credit to @lo countryfor posting this which sounds exactly like what Osborne was doing. 

https://volswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/08/coastal-carolina-football-jamey-chadwell-spread-option-offense/

"The reason why we like to run the offense that we do, you don’t have to have the best linemen in the country to win games,” Chadwell said. “You don’t have to have the best receivers in the country to win games. Every job that I have had has been a rebuild. We’ve had to develop and recruit talent that fits your system."

"Part of the reason that we like to do the offense, is it gives you a chance to win games. We were probably the eighth most talented team out of ten in our league — and won the league this year. Part of that is because you get kids to buy into your scheme and your system, and they fit that. We can do a variety of different things. Recruiting is not hard for it, you just have to find the right guys that want to fit into what you do.”

Ok, your turn.  When was the last time we won a conference championship without adhering to a philosophy like Chadwell or Osborne implemented?  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

We need the pipe line back and not just the name.

We need lots of things back. I totally agree with you but we need a defense coordinator that is intense like Charlie McBride. Maybe this generation can't handle being put on blast but I posted a clip of Will Patton in Remember The Titans and would love us to get back to that. This team looks worn out and feels worn out.

• Haha 1
34 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Osborne's offense was actually the precursor of the spread option offenses.  So you have Ohio State, Coastal Carolina to name a few.  If Frost had actually done what he said he was going to do and add in the power game to his offense things might have been different.  But he was more interested in whatever he was doing off the field to make it work. 

I'll give credit to @lo countryfor posting this which sounds exactly like what Osborne was doing. 

https://volswire.usatoday.com/2021/01/08/coastal-carolina-football-jamey-chadwell-spread-option-offense/

Ok, your turn.  When was the last time we won a conference championship without adhering to a philosophy like Chadwell or Osborne implemented?  

Lmao what?! You are trying to claim OSU? There is no way you are going to try to say we need to get back to a Osborne style offense then point to OSU. Your original claim was we have to run a different offense and then claim the one Ohio State runs fits into that category. 

If you are going to claim Chadwell that's fine I guess you have a single team that has won a g5 conf championship running that type of offense. Not "just to name a few" then only name 2 and one of them is and insane reach.  Maybe we should try to take some of that CCU offense and see. It kinda feels like we tried that and won 3 games. There is one coach who is using some of that offense and having p5 success this year though. I wonder if people have been mentioning him the whole time in here. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Lmao what?! You are trying to claim OSU? There is no way you are going to try to say we need to get back to a Osborne style offense then point to OSU. Your original claim was we have to run a different offense and then claim the one Ohio State runs fits into that category. 

If you are going to claim Chadwell that's fine I guess you have a single team that has won a g5 conf championship running that type of offense. Not "just to name a few" then only name 2 and one of them is and insane reach.  Maybe we should try to take some of that CCU offense and see. It kinda feels like we tried that and won 3 games. There is one coach who is using some of that offense and having p5 success this year though. I wonder if people have been mentioning him the whole time in here. 

Have you come up with the last time we won a conference championship running a "pass the damn ball guy" offense yet?  Still waiting 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Ok you got nothing. I guess I already knew that 

Seems like I gave you examples. Have you come up with your list yet?  Or are you saying we should just keep doing what we've done the past how many coaches and hope it works this time?  

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Ok you got nothing. I guess I already knew that 

Nebraska isn't just any other program. We never have been. We have to be different. Sure, college football has changed, but there it's still 11v11 on a 120 yd x 55 yd field. Even in 99, we were probably the only team in P5 running that kind of offense.  No reason why it wouldn't be as effective today if not moreso. 

We will never out-recruit Ohio State for passing QBs or WRs. Hence, they will always beat us if we try to play their game. 

Why try to be a lesser version of other conference teams when we can be unique and hard to prepare for?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 4
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

That no one can win anything significant running that style of offense so we should? Makes perfect sense. Someone contact Trev quick. We need to try something that doesnt work 

The only teams that run that are the shrimpy military teams. How do you know it wouldn't work combined with the shotgun when needed? What they told us at the time is that we couldn't recruit aspiring NFL quarterbacks running the option. How many of those have we had since we hired Callahan? Quick, somebody tell Trev NONE!

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

Seems like I gave you examples. Have you come up with your list yet?  Or are you saying we should just keep doing what we've done the past how many coaches and hope it works this time?  

You have Ohio State as one of 2 examples so no you just gave one example and a g5 one at that. Frost also won a g5 championship with his offense.  If you want to say some thing say it. Don't do this question you know the answer to bulls#!t. I will prove why it's wrong and you can ignore it like you have everything else. 

You also keep talking about what we ran that didn't work but we have ran a lot of different offense since our last conference championship including some really bad years of running basically Osborne's offense, running heavily under Bo including a lot of option, running heavily 2 out of the 3 Riley years including some option, running heavily under Frost including a lot of options and taking concepts directly from Coastal. 

36 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

Nebraska isn't just any other program. We never have been. We have to be different. Sure, college football has changed, but there it's still 11v11 on a 120 yd x 55 yd field. Even in 99, we were probably the only team in P5 running that kind of offense.  No reason why it wouldn't be as effective today if not moreso. 

We will never out-recruit Ohio State for passing QBs or WRs. Hence, they will always beat us if we try to play their game. 

Why try to be a lesser version of other conference teams when we can be unique and hard to prepare for?

We don't have to run the exact same offense as OSU and i dont see anyone suggesting that , but guess what OSU and all those other schools are also going to try to get all the good HBs and Oline also. It does not matter what we run we have to eventually go get recruits from those guys. Adding to that those QBs that were fast and just ran option in HS are being taught to throw at least decent before they get to college and are high ranked recruits that every school wants now.