Who should our next HC be?

25 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

And looking strictly at offensive output doesn't really tell you anything about how that effects the wins and losses.  A ball control offense grinding down opponents isn't necessary going to score more points than a quick strike offense.   But what's the impact on the team's defense when it's on the field all day?

I was not expecting for someone to use the "scoring more doesn't tell you anything about winning" defense but here we are.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

Running your quarterback that much is not a good idea in 2022. No one does this, there is a reason it's that way. You think you're smarter than all the coaches in FBS besides the ones that have no other option like the service academies?

We don't run our QBs much at all, and all 3 are hurt to varying degrees. That doesn't seem smart. 

Osborne was one of the last P5 coaches to run his QBs like he did. Was he not smart?

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

We have been running option football most years. In fact most teams do some form of option now and I havent seen a single person say they was a completely non option offense. I think most people want a balanced offense. We have seen offenses that relied mostly on run. Inevitably that gets shut down because there will always be some teams that will force you to try and beat them in the air and it gets really ugly. Everyone is pushing back on the idea that we go even further into a rushing shell and limit the areas where we can beat defenses. Its def ok to be a run heavy offense but you cant be just that in p5 and expect to compete at the highest levels. 

Read option and Flexbone option are only the same insofar as they have a mesh point. Past that, the blocking schemes and overall philosophies are far different. 

We have tried to pass and be 'balanced' for 19 years. It obviously doesn't work. 

• Plus1 2

There are plenty of teams who have a mobile or semi mobile quarterback and they do just fine.  You can have a mix, it doesnt need to be on guy slinging it all over the field.  Hell it doesnt even need to be a deep ball,  run a 5 or 10 yard route would be good.  But thats for another thread.  I think if it was Urban they would of said something this weekend.  No reason to carry it out any further.  No its a coach who is currently coaching.

• Oh Yeah! 1
38 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Not only that, look at the decline in Solich years and increase during the Callahan years

Solich was a poor recruiter, it had nothing to do with the style of offense. He also started going downhill as soon as McBride retired because offense and defense are related.

• Plus1 2