Who should our next HC be?

18 minutes ago, Red Five said:

If someone is going to make up a Urban rumor, at least make the $$$ amount make sense.

He made $10M at Jacksonville, but is only going to take $8M from us?  Lololololololol

I somewhat agree.  And, I don't believe it's going to be Urban.

However, his reputation is tarnished and he's not quite the hot coach he was when Carolina hired him.  It could easily be 8 million with heavy incentives.

Again...though....it's not going to be Urban.

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Talks about a lot of the Rhumors, but says Rhule is "at or near the top".

Also mentions Leipold, Aranda, Doeren, Monken, and BOB.

No mention of Stoops in the whole article.

So... he's just naming all of the most-talked-about guys. If it ends up being one of those guys he can claim his sources were talking about that and point to articles like this.

Mitch, like the rest of the literally dozens of Nebraska beat reporters, failed to mention Mike Riley as high on any list before he was hired. 

I always think about that when these guys write this stuff, acting as if they have some insider knowledge. They don't know anything more than us message board guys. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 3
58 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

Can’t get enough of this guy :rollin

OMG- Its happening! - Mark Stoops at his press conference. " I am so excited to be named the head coach at Nebraska. As I looked at forming my staff, I knew I needed someone who had coached and had success in the BIG. I knew I needed someone who had developed a defense capable of winning a national championship, and I knew I needed someone who understood Nebraska. Therefore, I'm naming BO Pelini as my defensive coordinator. He will be confined to the press box unless he is holding a cat or letting a young cancer patient run for a touchdown. :LOLtartar

• Haha 4

I will bite on the Urban rumor. Here is why... because I want to. 

In a world where Nebraska has made every manner of bad football headline possible, this would be a bit of great news for us. Urban brings swagger. Urban brings credibility and confidence. He also would bring a staff and a focus for recruiting that would be second to none.

And mainly, it's just fun to think about. 

A Sunday surprise, Urban to Nebraska. YES.

And if it doesn't happen, then I will return to earth and think about whoever we do bring in. But for the next few days, I am entertaining the Urban speculation. Because... why not

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 4
34 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

A few things Mickey's wife has put on twitter recently leads me to believe it won't be Mickey. She's cryptic to be sure, but it's obvious she isn't happy about something that's happened in the last couple days.

With all due to respect to her, they was no way in hell Trev would offer the HC to Mickey. 

Why the hell would he risk his own job if Mickey failed? 

• Plus1 2

3 minutes ago, Osbourneite said:

With all due to respect to her, they was no way in hell Trev would offer the HC to Mickey. 

Why the hell would he risk his own job if Mickey failed? 

Trev has never been afraid to make an unpopular call even going back to his UNO days.  He's always been clear eyed and calculating (and I mean that as a compliment).  Trev is going to make the decision that he feels is best for Nebraska and I don't think he's gonna lose any sleep once his decision is made.

• Plus1 2

This stuff about Mickey's wife and Trev's attitude about Mickey as possible HC makes me laugh.

We all know what was going on here was about 5 percent related to current on field results and 95 percent related to what Mickey would do the day he was named HC. 

If Mickey had a staff in mind with a legit OC and DC plus strength and conditioning plus a great plan for recruiting... you hire him and you do it with confidence.

Nobody is an island. You don't hire them for what they can personally do alone. You hire them for all that they can bring to the program.

If Mickey is out, it's because he lacks a plan and a staff and all that. It's not because he lost to Purdue and Ill and Minny and blah blah blah

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

So... he's just naming all of the most-talked-about guys. If it ends up being one of those guys he can claim his sources were talking about that and point to articles like this.

Mitch, like the rest of the literally dozens of Nebraska beat reporters, failed to mention Mike Riley as high on any list before he was hired. 

I always think about that when these guys write this stuff, acting as if they have some insider knowledge. They don't know anything more than us message board guys. 

That's cuz Mike Riley wasn't on a board. He was the result of hubris, a failed search, and a panic hire. - Probably worse than the search that ended with Callahan, due to results, but not as chaotic or drawn out.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Mitch Sherman? Stirring the pot? Knock me over with a feather. 

• Haha 2
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I mean if you read the article instead of taking pot shots he does put things into writing that no one has yet, specifically that there was some sort of meeting 11/3 between Trev/Regents that set everyone into a tizzy.

You do realize that all of these reporters are getting these names from the same source (coaching agents), right?  So it makes sense that all the reporters are going to pretty much have the same lists.

29 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It’s a smokescreen to keep us out of McGuffin’s hair.