Who should our next HC be?

16 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

As you all know Deboer has been my top choice since last year. We can only hope...

Deboer would be an amazing hire and it helps that Penix is balling out of his mind and seems destined to head to the NFL after this year which would make the transition easier.  Man, I don't want to entertain that thought because it would be so awesome.

• Plus1 3

31 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Realistically speaking (aka not urban) who would meet the higher standard?  Feel like that group is not that many names, some that come to mind:

Kiffin, Stoops, Whittingham, O'brien?

I would add Rhule. And yeah, it’s a pretty short list.

4 hours ago, sho said:

I've heard the same rumor about Carolina protesting what we want to pay Rhule.  Panthers are saying Market Value for the coach should be 7M+ and that's not what we had hoped to pay Rhule (haven't heard what we hoped to pay him).   Carolina trying to get out of how much they will have to pay on his buyout.

This isn't anything published, but that's what I've been told.

If true, I'm placing more blame on our cheap-a$$ Regents, rather than the cheap-a$$ Panthers. Less than two months ago, we forked over an additional $7.5M to get rid of Frost three weeks early, but now all of a sudden we can't pony up the additional funds to finalize a deal with a top-tier hire? SMH.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, sho said:

I've heard the same rumor about Carolina protesting what we want to pay Rhule.  Panthers are saying Market Value for the coach should be 7M+ and that's not what we had hoped to pay Rhule (haven't heard what we hoped to pay him).   Carolina trying to get out of how much they will have to pay on his buyout.

I believe this may be what hail varsity radio was referring too a few days ago. Said Rhule absolutely in play but the salary and buyout situation may not allow Neb and Rhule come to a conclusion 

15 minutes ago, sho said:

4 minutes ago, HANC said:

I believe this may be what hail varsity radio was referring too a few days ago. Said Rhule absolutely in play but the salary and buyout situation may not allow Neb and Rhule come to a conclusion 

Can Carolina actually prevent it from going forward? I could see them being pissed off and potentially suing the university if they think they can prove we're underpaying him, but can they actually veto a deal? I am not familiar with coaching contracts but that seems crazy if so.

12 minutes ago, schriznoeder said:

If true, I'm placing more blame on our cheap-a$$ Regents, rather than the cheap-a$$ Panthers. Less than two months ago, we forked over an additional $7.5 to get rid of Frost three weeks early, but now all of a sudden we can't pony up the additional funds to finalize a deal with a top-tier hire? SMH.

My favorite part of this thread is people having highly emotional reactions to things that most likely aren't going on at all.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
6 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Can Carolina actually prevent it from going forward? I could see them being pissed off and potentially suing the university if they think they can prove we're underpaying him, but can they actually veto a deal? I am not familiar with coaching contracts but that seems crazy if so.

I believe it would be Rhule holding up the process. He can make $36 million over the next 4 years or not. He’s probably asking for a lump dump payment from Carolina and then a certain salary from Nebraska so he could say make $55 million over that time. Carolina may be low balling him on his payout and Nebraska may not be willing to pay what it would take to make up the difference. I’m just throwing numbers out but I believe that’s probably the situation in a nutshell. 

9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I wouldnt honestly think Carolina would have any leg to stand in here, legally. And they shouldn’t. First of all, there is a HUGE range of college head coach salaries, there is no factually way to even begin to prove “underpayment.”  For instance, likely we could get Joseph at 2m. Rhule commands more than that but there is certainly no uniform established tier system.  

Secondly, even  If we are paying Rhule 4m/year.  That is still 4 mil/year less Carolina is on the hook for. It’s their stupid contract, after all. Mitigate the damage is the play fir them imo. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

Can't wait for the explanation of Rhule is going to turn this around.  Hiring fired guys doesn't work very well. Do not care if it's freon the NFL or not.  No he's not the next Pete Carroll. 

NFL success/failure has no bearing at the college level. None. None. None. Ask Saban. Ask Harbaugh.