Who should our next HC be?

I heard Rhule was driving down O Street thinking about how great it would be to be our head coach when he saw a dove descending from the sky. Surely this was the sign he was looking for!

But then it turned out to be just a white plastic bag. He wanted to be our coach sooooo bad....but it was just a plastic bag.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

40 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Jeff Monken.  Option guy.  Won 4 out of 5 bowls.  Hmmm.  

I don’t think people realize just how big of a job an Academy HC position is and how hard they are to recruit and win at. In addition it is important to truly understand what Monken did to turn Army around, if more people understood just how hard he and his staff work to recruit and the absolute size of his job, I am sure most would realize that two of the biggest detractions used against him, no P5 experience and lack of recruiting chops, are actually misguided. 

I would be very conflicted as I would be losing the best coach at my alma mater since Earl Blaik, but on the other hand I know my beloved Huskers would be in great hands with him. If I have time this weekend, I will try and put a summary together on Monken and what he would bring. Honestly I would prefer Rhule because I think he would also do a great job, but I would also feel great about Monken staying at Army.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3
10 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I heard Rhule was driving down O Street thinking about how great it would be to be our head coach when he saw a dove descending from the sky. Surely this was the sign he was looking for!

But then it turned out to be just a white plastic bag. He wanted to be our coach sooooo bad....but it was just a plastic bag.

Cripes...If I'd known the route he was taking I would've climbed up a tree and motioned a dove around over the street at the end of some fishing line. 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
3 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I don’t think people realize just how big of a job an Academy HC position is and how hard they are to recruit and win at. In addition it is important to truly understand what Monken did to turn Army around, if more people understood just how hard he and his staff work to recruit and the absolute size of his job, I am sure most would realize that two of the biggest detractions used against him, no P5 experience and lack of recruiting chops, are actually misguided. 

I would be very conflicted as I would be losing the best coach at my alma mater since Earl Blaik, but on the other hand I know my beloved Huskers would be in great hands with him. If I have time this weekend, I will try and out a summary together on Monken and what he would bring. Honestly I would prefer Rhule because I think he would also do a great job, but I would also feel great about Monken staying at Army.

Very well said. 

22 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Please NO.  

Nice reasoning. 

An out of left field pick would be Paul Cryst.

9 year P5 coaching experience with 70% win percentage (not spectatular)

7 year big Ten coaching experience with 70 % win percentage (pretty darn good)

7-2 bowl record

Midwest roots.

I would say his firing at Wisconsin is very similar to Nebraska firing of Solich; meaning that in hindsight, it will not be seen as a good move.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

I would be very conflicted as I would be losing the best coach at my alma mater since Earl Blaik, but on the other hand I know my beloved Huskers would be in great hands with him. If I have time this weekend, I will try and put a summary together on Monken and what he would bring. Honestly I would prefer Rhule because I think he would also do a great job, but I would also feel great about Monken staying at Army.

If we go the academy route, I would choose Calhoun over Monken.  

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Hagg said:

Very well said. 

Nice reasoning. 

The crux of it is, that scheme will never work in major college football week in and week out in 2022. Your recruiting rankings will plummet because any 4 and 5 star kid wants to play in a scheme that will prep them for the NFL.  So right there you are at an athletic disadvantage over basically anyone in conference.  There are some of the best defensive minds coaching in the big ten and if you take a way a good chunk of what they need to defend against that is asking for trouble.  That scheme also is setup to play with a lead, and if you get down it becomes hard to come back if the defense can load up even more in the boc to stop you.

It is a fun gimmick, but times have changed, mostly with recruiting and the quality of defensive coaches.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, Dbqgolfer said:

An out of left field pick would be Paul Cryst.

9 year P5 coaching experience with 70% win percentage (not spectatular)

7 year big Ten coaching experience with 70 % win percentage (pretty darn good)

Midwest roots.

I would say his firing at Wisconsin is very similar to Nebraska firing of Solich; meaning that in hindsight, it will not be seen as a good move.

Some recent reports talking about the reasoning mentioned how unorganized Wisconsin is in their recruiting department. It seems Cryst didn’t have a good plan in that area. I think he is a very good XO’s coach and definitely understands development, I would want to know what his recruiting plan would be and what lessons he learned from Wisky? Does he truly understand what wasn’t done well and what it should look like? I wonder if going to another school, like Alabama, as a staffer for a year or two would do him well. That would give him insight as to what he was neglecting previously and what to do next time.

5 minutes ago, runningblind said:

The crux of it is, that scheme will never work in major college football week in and week out in 2022. Your recruiting rankings will plummet because any 4 and 5 star kid wants to play in a scheme that will prep them for the NFL.  So right there you are at an athletic disadvantage over basically anyone in conference.  There are some of the best defensive minds coaching in the big ten and if you take a way a good chunk of what they need to defend against that is asking for trouble.  That scheme also is setup to play with a lead, and if you get down it becomes hard to come back if the defense can load up even more in the boc to stop you.

It is a fun gimmick, but times have changed, mostly with recruiting and the quality of defensive coaches.

That's a bunch of bull. We had ten times the number of players going to the NFL under that system compared to this pathetic crap we play now. Has there been even one pro QB from us in the last 20 years? How many of our vaunted receivers are playing pro, (no Pelini players because he was a total failure and loser)? Linemen? Running backs? Anybody? .....Punter?

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

If we go the academy route, I would choose Calhoun over Monken.  

Calhoun is a good coach for sure, Monken has won 4 of the last 6 vs the zoomies. AF is also largely considered the easiest of the 3 academy jobs to win at for a variety of reasons, but largely tied to their recruiting advantage.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

That's a bunch of bull. We had ten times the number of players going to the NFL under that system compared to this pathetic crap we play now. Has there been even one pro QB from us in the last 20 years? How many of our vaunted receivers are playing pro, (no Pelini players because he was a total failure and loser)? Linemen? Running backs? Anybody? .....Punter?

Times have changed in pro ball as well, that's the point that you just missed there.  We also had the best athletes back then, that was also my point, we couldn't get them now with an option scheme. Times change. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
11 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Some recent reports talking about the reasoning mentioned how unorganized Wisconsin is in their recruiting department. It seems Cryst didn’t have a good plan in that area. I think he is a very good XO’s coach and definitely understands development, I would want to know what his recruiting plan would be and what lessons he learned from Wisky? Does he truly understand what wasn’t done well and what it should look like? I wonder if going to another school, like Alabama, as a staffer for a year or two would do him well. That would give him insight as to what he was neglecting previously and what to do next time.

Good points. He is probably not a candidate for the job, but if MJ stayed on as asst. HC/WR coach/recruiting coordinator, we could probably do worse.