Who should our next HC be?

4 minutes ago, Osbourneite said:

Who are your REALISTIC top 3 choices after yesterday's games?

1- Rhule

2- Deboer

3- Klieman

I'm out on Leipold. He's just a slightly better Mike Riley

Deboer is a nice name, but if I can't have Urban Meyer then Im going with Chris Petersen. I think he would be a great coach here. He isn't officially retired 147-38 record tells me he knows how to coach.

5 minutes ago, Osbourneite said:

Who are your REALISTIC top 3 choices after yesterday's games?

1- Rhule

2- Deboer

3- Klieman

I'm out on Leipold. He's just a slightly better Mike Riley

I'm not sure if I can't rank them, but I can put them in tiers

Tier 1: legitimately excited

Rhule

Urban

Peterson

Deboer

Aranda

Kiffin 

Tier 2: good coaches but not home runs

Klieman

Leipold

Stoops

Doeren

Mickey

Tier 3: ugh... 

Campbell

Deion

Monken

Calhoun

I'm sure I'm missing a few 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I would be ok with either of those.  I honestly do think that those are 3 really good expectations.  I do think that Urban, Kiffin, and Sanders are honestly in play.  I would be ok with any of those 6 though with Deboer it might be alittle more of a gamble because of the conference he plays in.

Id take Klieman off the list for me not bc I don't think he isn't a good coach but I don't think he and the other border state coaches have enough name power to draw national recruits to come here. In order to succeed here you need great recruiters and great developers within the staff and unfortunately we haven't had that for a long time. 

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Id take Klieman off the list for me not bc I don't think he isn't a good coach but I don't think he and the other border state coaches have enough name power to draw national recruits to come here. In order to succeed here you need great recruiters and great developers within the staff and unfortunately we haven't had that for a long time. 

This is my problem with Border coaches.  Like you said, they might not have enough pull to get us out of this mess.

2 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Rhule

Urban

Peterson

Deboer

Aranda

Kiffin 

Klieman

Leipold

Stoops

Doeren

Mickey

Campbell

Deion

Monken

Calhoun

Id put Deion in Tier One bc I think he is well on his way to being a great coach. He would generate the new age fans with old school traditions. For me the only thing that you question is the experience but he is working with less resources then most schools and still winning. He has the drive and vision to succeed bc he knows how to do it.

7 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Rhule

Urban

Peterson

Deboer

Aranda

Kiffin 

Klieman

Leipold

Stoops

Doeren

Mickey

Campbell

Deion

Monken

Calhoun

I like your list!  I would flip Klieman with Aranda though.  Klieman has amazed me at KSU and also won national championships in a lower division at ND State.  He has found a way to bring in good talent and maximize it at KSU.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

I am with @Undone  I think we get someone that we have to google or do a WTH.....Again, I hope that I am completely dead wrong and we get a top tier guy. I'd ask the top tier guys.  And keep going down that list, but watching NU yesterday we are broke.  Like shattered broke.  Unsure how you fix it.  We led for 59:25 yesterday.  At home, on Senior Day with a chance to beat a team we haven't in 10 years IIRC.  And we pulled a Husker.  Completely F'ed it up and lost.  How do you fix that?  What coach, currently coaching would want to come into this?  And our collapse isn't from some scandal.  It's years of some of the worst coaching and lack of development I have seen.....

1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Id put Deion in Tier One bc I think he is well on his way to being a great coach. He would generate the new age fans with old school traditions. For me the only thing that you question is the experience but he is working with less resources then most schools and still winning. He has the drive and vision to succeed bc he knows how to do it.

I think Deion could be a phenomenal G5 coach, but for Nebraska right now we cannot take that kind of risk. And I think geographically he's not a great fit here. Georgia Tech should hire him - I think that would be perfect.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

This is my problem with Border coaches.  Like you said, they might not have enough pull to get us out of this mess.

The only names that have that pull would be Urb and Sanders. Kiffin would move the needle more so than the others listed, but not to the level of Urb or Sanders.

Man, there is a bunch of way too depressed people on here today.  Did that one loss to Wisconsin yesterday make everyone that crazy?  I don't know how that game has suddenly changed people's mindset, but the Wisconsin game pretty much happened how so many games have happened the past 5 years.  I've been saying all year the program is broken.  But that doesn't mean there isn't a coach out there who can get NU back to winning.  It just takes one coach, and that doesn't necessarily need to be a "big name".

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

3 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I think Deion could be a phenomenal G5 coach, but for Nebraska right now we cannot take that kind of risk. And I think geographically he's not a great fit here. Georgia Tech should hire him - I think that would be perfect.

I think Georgia Tech is going to go with the coach they have in place and take the interim tag off his name. They have played way better and even beat a ranked team yesterday if I remember correctly.

I do think, that even if we stuck with Mickey, or got a boarder coach.  We would be better off then we are currently at.  But i dont want that.  I dont want a 3 year rebuild to only get to 6 to 7 wins a year.  If we must do that then so be it.  I want 7 - 9 wins within the next 3 years and i want a playoff spot within 6.  If im leading up to disappointment then so be it but thats what is going to turn the needle for the fanbase.  

4 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Man, there is a bunch of way too depressed people on here today.  Did that one loss to Wisconsin yesterday make everyone that crazy?  I don't know how that game has suddenly changed people's mindset, but the Wisconsin game pretty much happened how so many games have happened the past 5 years.  I've been saying all year the program is broken.  But that doesn't mean there isn't a coach out there who can get NU back to winning.  It just takes one coach, and that doesn't necessarily need to be a "big name".

It doesn't have to be but with it probably comes faster results to get back to where everyone wants the program to be at. 

1 minute ago, Stone Cold said:

I do think, that even if we stuck with Mickey, or got a boarder coach.  We would be better off then we are currently at.  But i dont want that.  I dont want a 3 year rebuild to only get to 6 to 7 wins a year.  If we must do that then so be it.  I want 7 - 9 wins within the next 3 years and i want a playoff spot within 6.  If im leading up to disappointment then so be it but thats what is going to turn the needle for the fanbase.  

I think 7-9 wins within the next 3 years is reasonable, and that doesn't require some "big name coach".  The playoff spot may be unrealistic, but it would only take one magical season/luck in close game to get there, especially with the 12-team playoff coming soon.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

It doesn't have to be but with it probably comes faster results to get back to where everyone wants the program to be at. 

I am curious where "everyone wants the program to be".  I think people want NU to go from 3-4-5 wins which they have been at for most of the past 8 years to go right to 9-10-11 wins in no time.  To me, that's unrealistic expectations.  The program will need to get back to winning 7-8-9 wins, before fans should start expecting more.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1