Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Who were the 5-star recruits which Tom Osborne recruited to NU?  Give me names.  I think you are over-estimating the number of 5-stars that TO brought in.  I honestly don't think there was such a thing as star ratings until the 90s.

There wasn't ratings back then but players like Tommie Frazier was considered a 5 star player. Ralph Brown was a top corner back from Arizona. Lawrence Phillips was a top national running back when he got recruited here. Even though TO wasn't his coach, Marlon Lucky was a 5 star running back out of Hollywood California. There were players that were considered 5 star players but bc their wasn't any rankings its not official. 

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Who were the 5-star recruits which Tom Osborne recruited to NU?  Give me names.  I think you are over-estimating the number of 5-stars that TO brought in.  I honestly don't think there was such a thing as star ratings until the 90s.

Was just looking to see when it started. Looks like 2002.  

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah there was no such thing as star rating which I believe began in 2001 or 2002.

Tommie Frazier was the #3 QB in the nation when he arrived so a consensus 5 star, in today's terms. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

There wasn't ratings back then but players like Tommie Frazier was considered a 5 star player. Ralph Brown was a top corner back from Arizona. Lawrence Phillips was a top national running back when he got recruited here. Even though TO wasn't his coach, Marlon Lucky was a 5 star running back out of Hollywood California. There were players that were considered 5 star players but bc their wasn't any rankings its not official. 

I agree that guys like Frazier, Phillips, and Brown were big-time recruits under Osborne, and those are national guys.  But, those are only 3 guys just over the course of the 90s.  I am not saying that being able to recruit nationally isn't going to be important, but I don't think a big-name head coach is needed to do that.  I think recruiting nationally starts with your assistant coaching staff being able to identify guys who are willing to come to Nebraska and stay at Nebraska to be developed.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, lo country said:

We get the right coach and the talent will follow.  Say Urb comes here.  You are a 5* player.  Your chances of starting here and getting a lions share of NIL is EXCEPTIONALLY better at NU than say any other top program because all of the focus would be on them.  You would be a part of a roster with fewer "talented" players.  Not on a Bama or OSU or USC or UGA roster with 75% 4-5* athletes.  The right coach will get the talent, get the wins and get us back.  I just do not know who that coach will be be.  NU, IMHO, can not handle 3-5 more years of this crap.  We are getting too far removed from any sense of respectability.....And the thought that we need to get back to 6-7 wins, while correct, shows how badly we need "the guy" hired now.  Not 5-8 years after we become average...

And bc we are getting away too far removed from any sense of respectability the fans that includes myself are tired of it. Enough is enough go do what is necessary to win and compete. Stop being beat by mid-tier teams, stop struggling to beat the bottom dwellers and stop letting Wisconsin beat us every year. 9 times is too much for my liking even if they have had better teams. STOP THIS NONSENSE!!!!!!!

Here is a great article about the success of TO.  Talks about guestimated recruiting stars and a lot of other stuff....

http://sportstreatise.com/2018/01/1995-nebraska-and-the-myth-of-championship-recruiting/

The other strategy for excellence is to purposefully recruit guys that are likely to thrive as role players with a narrower range of duties and then only rely on the exceptional talents at the positions that are necessarily featured by the scheme. Obviously that’s what Tom Osborne achieved. The local high schools in Nebraska were running his system and he was plucking the best and brightest talents from a limited pool in terms of executing the essential points of his system while recruiting nationally for the RBs, QBs, and defenders necessary to hold up against South Floridian athletes in championship games. They were able to recruit and develop well enough in conjunction with that system that they achieved the same effect and more of a team that’s really good at convincing brilliant athletes to master supporting roles.

It’s the Jerod McDougal effect basically, every team can field a couple of great talents but the best teams have role players that will give anything and everything they have to thrive in a narrow and sacrificial role. Nebraska recruited guys to do that rather than asking stars to figure it out.

This system didn’t require a pro-style TE that could run option routes, nor did it ask a ton in the passing game of the WRs save to try and run past conflicted safeties at times on play-action. The OL needn’t have the length and feet for pass protection (note the 6-2 LT), just the quickness, meanness, and necessary power to reach and drive defenders. Even the QB and RBs, while they needed to be superior athletes, could be recruited from a national pool due to the ‘Huskers brand and reputation for setting up their runners to look very good.

On defense things were different. Osborne’s genius extended to offense and he had to update his “blackshirts” tactics and methods when his teams were regularly foiled by their inability to stop pro-style passing attacks from schools like Miami. Their defensive strategy essentially became to play the same style of 4-3 defense as everyone else with great athletes at outside linebacker and safety that would have to be recruited. No doubt their defenses were greatly aided by the fact that the offenses controlled the ball, ran clock, and scored lots of touchdowns.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, Osbourneite said:

Yeah there was no such thing as star rating which I believe began in 2001 or 2002.

Tommie Frazier was the #3 QB in the nation when he arrived so a consensus 5 star, in today's terms. 

And yes, bringing in Frazier and Phillips enabled NU to get over the hump and win NC's in the 90s.  What Osborne and his staff did well was to identify and develop national guys and sprinkle them in with the Midwest based talent that they were able to bring in and develop.  Those 80s and 90s NU teams were a mix of Nebraska/Midwest and National guys.

1 hour ago, gorp512 said:

He's got three (Wentz, Lance, Easton Stick) and Dabo has two (Lawrence and Watson). 

His eye for talent is quite good. Having 2 top 3 picks at QB from NDSU isn't shabby at all. 

Klieman turned Easton Stick (a local 2-star from Creighton Prep) into a 5th round pick, 8th QB selected. Not to mention what he did with Wentz (unranked) and Lance (really low 3-star).

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1