Who should our next HC be?

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

After yesterday's game, I now am convinced that Mickey is not HC material.  First off, with 35 seconds left, you tell your returners to fair catch.  7 seconds lost right there............There was more things that convinced me that Mickey wasn't and isn't the best fit for this job or many at this point.  Run the ball when your up 14-3.  Don't care how or who, but find ways to run the ball somehow.  Mickey can tell Whipple what he wants and how it should be done. 

Now, I still think that this was not a fair audition for Mickey.  Our talent and roster is really below average...........we might have some skill players, but we have no trench players and really our linebackers on D are sub par.  Nevertheless, I think Mickey had to win 2 more games coming down the stretch, and did not get it done against Minny and now Wisky.  I do like Klieman.  I think he is a program builder.  He also took over a K-State program that was in way better shape than what we are currently in.  Snyder left him some pieces and left things on solid footing.  We are miles from being solid.  I would give Klieman a shot.

Can't disagree more with the parts of your posts about Mickey and yesterday's game.

They tried to run the football as you suggested and were unsuccessful doing it, as they had been basically all second half. Unsure which game you were watching. Considering they could not run it successfully, I was annoyed they thought they could win trying to just burn clock and rely on defense (that hadn't been good in 2nd half). 

Don't think Mickey was a top contender from the start. Sure, he probably could've thrust himself into the top tier with consistent wins, but the losses aren't fully on him at this juncture (it hasn't really been HIS program).

8 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

After yesterday's game, I now am convinced that Mickey is not HC material.  First off, with 35 seconds left, you tell your returners to fair catch.  7 seconds lost right there............There was more things that convinced me that Mickey wasn't and isn't the best fit for this job or many at this point.  Run the ball when your up 14-3.  Don't care how or who, but find ways to run the ball somehow.  Mickey can tell Whipple what he wants and how it should be done. 

Now, I still think that this was not a fair audition for Mickey.  Our talent and roster is really below average...........we might have some skill players, but we have no trench players and really our linebackers on D are sub par.  Nevertheless, I think Mickey had to win 2 more games coming down the stretch, and did not get it done against Minny and now Wisky.  I do like Klieman.  I think he is a program builder.  He also took over a K-State program that was in way better shape than what we are currently in.  Snyder left him some pieces and left things on solid footing.  We are miles from being solid.  I would give Klieman a shot.

Do you think Klieman is available?

4 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Fair point, but I want a proven program builder. Calhoun took over for the legendary Fisher Deberry, whom he played for and had his first coaching jobs under. The AF program took a bit of a dip at the end of DeBerry’s tenure, but the foundation was already there and it was really a lot to do with DeBerry’s energy to continue to grind like you have to at an academy, not a broken foundation.

Monken has proven he can build a program at different levels of CFB. He guided Georgia Southern to the FBS level as HC after taking them to the FCS playoffs semifinals 3 years in a row. He did a total rebuild of Army from the ground up of every aspect of the program, recruiting, S&C, culture, etc., under the most restrictive conditions of any program period. That is why I would prefer Monken if you are choosing between the two.

Monken sucks 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, BIGREDIOWAN said:

We have to go big with the $$$ and go after a big name to help with recruiting right off the bat. A no name isn't getting it done and we can't go bargain shopping. 

That's my believe as well but others tend to disagree which is their right.  They don't necessarily agree you have to spend in order to go get a coach that isn't a so called big name. We should find out here pretty soon what route TA goes. Big hire or not either way if its not someone we are excited about this fan base and especially huskerboard will be in a uproar.

42 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True but I would say even through he has put those qbs in the nfl Dabo has had more success with his qbs. Trevor Lawrence is actually starting and Watson is a stud for Cleveland now. Stick hasn't done much nor has Lance and you know about Wentz. So promising yet so mistake prone.

The point isn’t what they have done in the NFL, what matters is what they did at the college level as that directly correlates to WINS. The point of highlighting where those QBs got drafted after being low rated recruits is to show how good their development was and the fact that they were ballers at the college level. I don’t really care what Stick has done in the NFL, I care about that he was developed into a championship winning QB in college, to a level that the NFL wanted to draft him.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's my believe as well but others tend to disagree which is their right.  They don't necessarily agree you have to spend in order to go get a coach that isn't a so called big name. We should find out here pretty soon what route TA goes. Big hire or not either way if its not someone we are excited about this fan base and especially huskerboard will be in a uproar.

Devaney didn't need all this stuff...he was just a good coach.

8 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

The point isn’t what they have done in the NFL, what matters is what they did at the college level as that directly correlates to WINS. The point of highlighting where those QBs got drafted after being low rated recruits is to show how good their development was and the fact that they were ballers at the college level. I don’t really care what Stick has done in the NFL, I care about that he was developed into a championship winning QB in college, to a level that the NFL wanted to draft him.

Totally different talent level and time constraints to deal with. Rhule seems to excel at the college level, ...so-so at the pros.

Frost found out quick that his flashy plans get your guys killed in the BIG. He forgot to recruit the real skill players on the lines.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

True but in this day and age you do. Times change! You either stay with that thinking and get left in the dust or you make the choice to spend and compete. Either way Nebraska has made bad choices to put us in the position we has fans shouldn't be put in. 

Do you think our superior facilities and high paid coaches should make us #1 in the BIG West? What happened there? We have better facilities, financing , and fan support than all of those teams with the exception of probably Wisconsin.(And maybe them too??)

2 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Do you think our superior facilities and high paid coaches should make us #1 in the BIG West? What happened there? We have better facilities, financing , and fan support than all of those teams with the exception of probably Wisconsin.(And maybe them too??)

Definitely better resources than Wisconsin, their indoor practice facility doesn’t even fit a full 100 yd length field. They are looking to build a new $300mm facility to try and catch up. Wisconsin does have a bigger state population, ~6mm, to pull recruits from though so clear advantage there.

https://madison.com/sports/college/football/a-300-million-indoor-football-practice-facility-at-wisconsin-is-closer-to-happening/article_7930114f-bdaf-538f-813c-9752798cd76d.html