Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, caveman99 said:

If you listened to TA’s summary of what he is looking for in a coach, Monken checks all of the boxes. He is a grinder who will emphasize development and culture. Nebraska needs a program builder right now, Monken is a proven program builder. 

Do you think a coach a military academy has a hard time developing culture?  I would think not only is it way easier, it doesn't translate to building culture for not military kids. 

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

If you listened to TA’s summary of what he is looking for in a coach, Monken checks all of the boxes. He is a grinder who will emphasize development and culture. Nebraska needs a program builder right now, Monken is a proven program builder. 

He is 4-6 rn. Right now you need a proven head coach who is going to bring the fan base together. Not a coach coming into a program with a losing record.  It doesn't do us any good to hire a coach who is going to bring more questions with him then answers and that goes for not just him but people who want Matt Campbell as well or any coach like them.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, TommieFrazier15 said:

People have been joking about certain guys being Riley 2.0

Traylor truly would be Riley 2.0. Every person in Nebraska would simultaneously be performing Google searches 

I live in Nebraska and I know who he is without searching. I think you are overreacting, just a little :sarcasm.

1 minute ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Do you think a coach a military academy has a hard time developing culture?  I would think not only is it way easier, it doesn't translate to building culture for not military kids. 

Well the fact that Monken has done at a non-military academy as well with a very high level of success speaks to his ability to build a culture. However in response to your question about the ease of culture building at an academy, the answer is yes and no. It is true that in respect to discipline and culture Monken has a higher quality of clay to work with because the entire experience of the academy is doing the same and helping to condition the young men and women in a positive way. That being said, it actually isn’t that easy to build a culture of winning just through a military environment or discipline. I have seen plenty of units that were s-shows. Look at what Russia is dealing with currently. It takes a good leader to capitalize on that and realize the potential of his or her unit. 

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

He is 4-6 rn. Right now you need a proven head coach who is going to bring the fan base together. Not a coach coming into a program with a losing record.  It doesn't do us any good to hire a coach who is going to bring more questions with him then answers and that goes for not just him but people who want Matt Campbell as well or any coach like them.

Monken is having a down year by his standards this year for sure. He most likely will play Navy with a chance to finish 6-6 and be bowl eligible. If he does that then he will have guided Army to its 6th bowl berth in 9 seasons under Monken for a program that has had 5 bowl trips all time prior to Monken. 

Coaching at an academy is extremely hard. They don’t have the luxury of getting transfer players, they don’t get JUCO players, they don’t get anywhere near the level of talent that most FBS programs are getting (for most young men it is a non-starter to sign up to have a high probability of going to fight in a conflict). They also have severe height/weight standards that the players have to adhere to. It is truly a developmental program and if you have a bad run of injuries and some transfers out, that thins your depth pretty quickly. That is what happened this year for Army. Coming off a 9 win campaign, they lost a lot to graduation and are having to play a lot more sophomores than usual, usually the starters are almost all Seniors or Juniors, and it is showing. They have gotten better over the the season, but definitely a struggle of a year comparatively to the prior years. Every academy has these years, how they rebound is a telling sign on how good the coach truly is. Monken went 5-8 in 2019 after winning 11 games in 2018 and beating Houston in the bowl game. Same situation then, Army went on to win 9 games in 2020 and 2021. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, TommieFrazier15 said:

What makes you think it’s Traylor? Talk about an underwhelming hire. 

so is Rhule and I’d prefer him 

if it’s really Traylor we’re way worse off than I thought 

2 hours ago, TommieFrazier15 said:

People have been joking about certain guys being Riley 2.0

Traylor truly would be Riley 2.0. Every person in Nebraska would simultaneously be performing Google searches 

Has he ever beaten a ranked team? Doesn’t look like it 

Surely we’re not risking the future of the program by hiring a guy whose only D1 experience is a couple years at UTSA? 

Also, did you join husker board just to trash a name mentioned in the coaching thread? There have been more than 100 names listed on this thread, but Jeff Traylor of all people sets you off. What did he ever do to you?

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, lo country said:

Unsure if sarcastic, but a lot of that offense would be as formidable now as it was then.  I'd love it. And not as impacted by the cold and wind.

exactly.  I'm tired of trying to be like everyone else and failing badly.  We got to get back to being Nebraska

• Oh Yeah! 2
31 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

Monken sucks give it a rest 

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1