Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

NU simply isn't able to attract the same level of coach as a Lincoln Riley to USC.  It's an apples to oranges comparison.

Not necessarily true if Nebraska would go out and get a Chris Petersen or a Urban Meyer then we would be in that conversation.  Why do you feel that Nebraska could never attract that type of coach to come here if your willing to pay???

• Haha 1

For reference, our assistant salary pool to start this year was $4.725M.  Ohio State's is $7.5M, which is sixth in the nation.

We probably need to go up on all of them - and I actually think we will.  This staff was on the way out and had some new guys.  But to get both coordinators and one more guy to $1M would have taken less than $1M additional.  So another $1.0-$1.5M to get three guys over $1M.  Then if you use another $1M to increase the other seven (as an example) you'd be in the $7M range.

I don't think that's out of line for where we think we want to compete. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
3 minutes ago, Touchdown Tommie said:

IMO, as a fan base we have so much PTSD from the Callahan to Pelini to Riley to Frost that we freak out when we see/hear the same type of path being taken...even if it is not confirmed. I just wish Trev would be a huge hire and we can all move forward with it. The pessimistic side of me feels like I will be disappointed and frustrated that top choices turned Trev down and we have to settle for some no name person.

Damn, it sucks being a Husker fan right now!! 

It hasn't just sucked being a Husker fan now but for a long time!!!!!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, Mavric said:

For reference, our assistant salary pool to start this year was $4.725M.  Ohio State's is $7.5M, which is sixth in the nation.

We probably need to go up on all of them - and I actually think we will.  This staff was on the way out and had some new guys.  But to get both coordinators and one more guy to $1M would have taken less than $1M additional.  So another $1.0-$1.5M to get three guys over $1M.  Then if you use another $1M to increase the other seven (as an example) you'd be in the $7M range.

I agree.  In the grand scheme of things, it's not that much more money.

Question.  You spend $1m on OC and DC, who is the other assistant that gets $1m?  Mickey?  OL Coach?

I believe it would be amazing to spend $1m on an OL coach.  But, maybe that's what we need to do. Because, that group dictates how this team will perform more than anything.  The Defense is a close second.

My only dream at this point is that we somehow have a dominating O LIne and Defense.  Everything else would fall into place after that.  Quite honestly, it doesn't matter what kind of offense we actually run as long as we have a dominating O line.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  In the grand scheme of things, it's not that much more money.

Question.  You spend $1m on OC and DC, who is the other assistant that gets $1m?  Mickey?  OL Coach?

I believe it would be amazing to spend $1m on an OL coach.  But, maybe that's what we need to do. Because, that group dictates how this team will perform more than anything.  The Defense is a close second.

My only dream at this point is that we somehow have a dominating O LIne and Defense.  Everything else would fall into place after that.  Quite honestly, it doesn't matter what kind of offense we actually run as long as we have a dominating O line.

I think those are the most likely options.  Mickey would probably be the one in our current situation.  But starting from scratch I'd probably go for the OL coach.

I keep coming back to what Kirby Smart said when he got the job at Georgia.  Give me an OC, a DC, and OL coach and seven guys who can recruit like crazy.

• Plus1 5
Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

Not necessarily true if Nebraska would go out and get a Chris Petersen or a Urban Meyer then we would be in that conversation.  Why do you feel that Nebraska could never attract that type of coach to come here if your willing to pay???

IMO, Meyer was never a realistic option.  I thought Petersen was worth reaching out to, and I think Trev probably did.  However, those coaches need to have compelling reasons to come out of retirement.  Part of that is walking into a situation that wouldn't require a lot of work, and ease of recruiting.  I don't think Meyer or Petersen would want to take part of a complete rebuild, like which is necessary at NU.

Before someone says "Well, Meyer and Petersen could attract 30 transfers and flip the talent immediately," that potentially could be true for Meyer, but I don't think Petersen is a big enough name for kids looking to play college football.  He last coached in 2019, when most players coming into college in the next couple years weren't even in high school.  Yeah, Petersen was at a big school in Washington, but it's still isolated in the Northwest, and kids outside of the West Coast probably don't know much about him.  He doesn't have the national brand name that you may think he does.

Simply put, Trev may have reached out to both of those guys, and then those guys call around to coaches they know and ask them "How big of a turnaround job is Nebraska?" and those coaches respond "You don't want to go there.  That place is a mess." so Urban and Petersen are like "Nah, I'm good in retirement."  I know throwing money at guys can attract coaches, but there also has to be other compelling reasons to get coaches to come to your school.

7 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, but if the money is all the same, wouldn't coaches rather be at a school with easier access to the talent?

Not necessarily. Maybe they understand and care about how Nebraska is a blue blood program that has won more then 900 games. There are coaches that understand the history and prestige of what Nebraska represents and would be more then willing to come here if the money is right.

• Haha 1
16 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

The question would be willing to pay what.

The highest paid CFB coaches right now are in the $10 million/year range and are at schools with massively better talent pools in the 500. mile radius. So, how much is Nebraska's relative lack of local talent worth? Nothing? An extra $2 million/year? An extra $5 million/year? I don't know the answer to that, but presuming we don't hire someone outrageously successful like Urban Meyer, it'll stand to reason that we don't have the finances to lure someone who is willing to take on the recruiting disadvantages, in addition to the millions their staff would demand.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1

1 minute ago, Enhance said:

The highest paid CFB coaches right now are in the $10 million/year range and are at schools with massively better talent pools in the 500. mile radius. So, how much is Nebraska's relative lack of local talent worth? Nothing? An extra $2 million/year? An extra $5 million/year? I don't know the answer to that, but presuming we don't hire someone outrageously successful like Urban Meyer, it'll stand to reason that we don't have the finances to lure someone who is willing to take on the recruiting disadvantages, in addition to the millions their staff would demand.

I think NU's biggest challenge right now is how bad it's been in recent years, but fans still somewhat have expectations of being in the top 3 or 4 of the conference on a regular basis.  NU has been among the worst teams in all of Power 5 football.  That's why I think a successful coach would be someone who can get NU to being respectable and being near the top of the mid-tier of the Big Ten.  Then, depending on the age of that coach, he can continue to build and develop the program , or if that coach retires, NU would be in a better position to hire a coach to take it to the next level.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The highest paid CFB coaches right now are in the $10 million/year range and are at schools with massively better talent pools in the 500. mile radius. So, how much is Nebraska's relative lack of local talent worth? Nothing? An extra $2 million/year? An extra $5 million/year? I don't know the answer to that, but presuming we don't hire someone outrageously successful like Urban Meyer, it'll stand to reason that we don't have the finances to lure someone who is willing to take on the recruiting disadvantages.

You could pay the new head coach 8.5 or something close to that and then have alot of money for the assistant coaches. If you have the money to get rid of a coach for 15 million with no problem then you obviously have money to burn. Yes I know you don't want to throw money around like that bc it's in the millions but you pay for what you get in today's society. 

• Haha 1
22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

1000% this. 

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

IMO, Meyer was never a realistic option.  I thought Petersen was worth reaching out to, and I think Trev probably did.  However, those coaches need to have compelling reasons to come out of retirement.  Part of that is walking into a situation that wouldn't require a lot of work, and ease of recruiting.  I don't think Meyer or Petersen would want to take part of a complete rebuild, like which is necessary at NU.

Before someone says "Well, Meyer and Petersen could attract 30 transfers and flip the talent immediately," that potentially could be true for Meyer, but I don't think Petersen is a big enough name for kids looking to play college football.  He last coached in 2019, when most players coming into college in the next couple years weren't even in high school.  Yeah, Petersen was at a big school in Washington, but it's still isolated in the Northwest, and kids outside of the West Coast probably don't know much about him.  He doesn't have the national brand name that you may think he does.

Simply put, Trev may have reached out to both of those guys, and then those guys call around to coaches they know and ask them "How big of a turnaround job is Nebraska?" and those coaches respond "You don't want to go there.  That place is a mess." so Urban and Petersen are like "Nah, I'm good in retirement."  I know throwing money at guys can attract coaches, but there also has to be other compelling reasons to get coaches to come to your school.

I understand your points but what about if Nebraska never even tried to reach out to top coaches? That's the thing im getting at.

• Haha 1