Who should our next HC be?

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

I understand your points but what about if Nebraska never even tried to reach out to top coaches? That's the thing im getting at.

We don't know who Trev has reached out to, and we will likely never know (or the story of this search will come out 15 years later).  My comments are based on just because we talk to a potential guy about the job, doesn't make the job attractive to that guy.  This job is going to require A LOT OF WORK!!!  A guy near 60 years old, who has had a lot of prior success, who is already sitting on a pile of $, probably doesn't want to go into that type of situation.

Other than Nick Saban, the huge salaries that coaches have made in recent years have led coaches to have shorter careers, not longer ones.

• Fire 1

3 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Just because most teams in the B1G suck at offense doesnt mean we should copy them. Play defense and special teams like them sure but the offenses in this conference are terrible.

That's actually why OSU is top of the conference.  They play great defense and special teams like everyone else.  But, to put them over the top, the pair that with a great offense.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

You could pay the new head coach 8.5 or something close to that and then have alot of money for the assistant coaches. If you have the money to get rid of a coach for 15 million with no problem then you obviously have money to burn. Yes I know you don't want to throw money around like that bc it's in the millions but you pay for what you get in today's society. 

While I agree with your premise, I personally think someone like an Urban Meyer would cost north of $11-$12 million/year. This is not a hotly desirable job from a recruiting and location standpoint, and those are pretty big deals if you want to win at a high level in today's CFB world. And, personally, I'm skeptical that the university would pay something like that just for the HC let alone what they'd owe the assistants.

It's all speculation, of course. I just think Nebraska's inherent talent/recruiting disadvantages may come with a high price tag that's a) bigger than we think and b) something we're unwilling to pay.

Just now, Enhance said:

While I agree with your premise, I personally think someone like an Urban Meyer would cost north of $11-$12 million/year. This is not a hotly desirable job from a recruiting and location standpoint, and those are pretty big deals if you want to win at a high level in today's CFB world. And, personally, I'm skeptical that the university would pay something like that just for the HC let alone what they'd owe the assistants.

It's all speculation, of course. I just think Nebraska's inherent talent/recruiting disadvantages may come with a high price tag that's a) bigger than we think and b) something we're unwilling to pay.

And if thats going to be the case then Nebraska isn't going to be turning the ship around any time soon. Why be excited for the next coach if we aren't willing enough to pay to be good?

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Enhance said:

One more point about Urban.  I know it's the NFL, and it's a different beast than college coaching.  But, the last time Urban was asked with taking on a challenging job of turning around the Jacksonville Jaguars, he was skipping out on team flights to stay back and grope semi-attractive blondes at his restaurant in Columbus.  It's nearly 5 years since he last coached in college football.  I'm sure he is enjoying working for FOX and going to a different college every Saturday for Big Noon Kickoff.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

And if thats going to be the case then Nebraska isn't going to be turning the ship around any time soon. Why be excited for the next coach if we aren't willing enough to pay to be good?

I don't think it would take an amazing coach to get NU to back to being "good".  NU has been a dumpster fire this year, but it's also pretty close to having 5 or 6 wins.  Yes, this program needs to be rebuilt, but a good coach can get NU back to 8-9 wins.  That doesn't have to be Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen.

• Plus1 2

7 minutes ago, Enhance said:

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1594470136819220480 This is exactly what Nebraska needed to do. I posted this yesterday dont think much people paid attention to it but I love his thinking!

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't think it would take an amazing coach to get NU to back to being "good".  NU has been a dumpster fire this year, but it's also pretty close to having 5 or 6 wins.  Yes, this program needs to be rebuilt, but a good coach can get NU back to 8-9 wins.  That doesn't have to be Urban Meyer or Chris Petersen.

Absolutely 1000000% correct. Which is why I can't resonate with the thought that Nebraska will never be good ever again, and bowl contention should be our goal each year. I think the fan base has been humbled over the past 8 years or so (deservedly so), but 7 wins should be what this team does in its down years, with 8&9 wins being the norm, and continually competing for our division (or pod or however that's going to work) deep into the season each year. With the resources, fan support, etc that this university has at its disposal, anything else is unacceptable. I said coming into this year that Frost needed to win 7 for us to even think about bringing him back, and 8 to be safe. 

• Plus1 1