Who should our next HC be?

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Not as head coach.  He deserves some credit for having a few good seasons as a tough place to win.  But he gets too much credit considering how often he has really poor seasons.

I feel like they are very cyclacle.  Every 3 years they have a good year followed by not good years.  But they have more disadvantages than Nebraska.  Think of all the kids people say Nebraska doesn't get because they don't like the cold then add the fact they actually have to be pretty smart to get in.  And until recently they had football facilities that wouldn't hold up to HS's in Texas

37 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

One more point about Urban.  I know it's the NFL, and it's a different beast than college coaching.  But, the last time Urban was asked with taking on a challenging job of turning around the Jacksonville Jaguars, he was skipping out on team flights to stay back and grope semi-attractive blondes at his restaurant in Columbus.  It's nearly 5 years since he last coached in college football.  I'm sure he is enjoying working for FOX and going to a different college every Saturday for Big Noon Kickoff.

Very true - that's why the 'just throw money at them' argument doesn't always hold a lot of water with me. Urban could damn near pick just about any school he wanted, if he was interested in getting back into coaching. I don't think Nebraska would be near the top of that list, but even if it was, he's got a pretty nice gig right now. He's already set financially for life. He doesn't need to coach. He'd probably want the right fit.

That said, while I do find Urban's actions as Jacksonville's coach morally reprehensible, I think it only became a 'thing' because the franchise stunk. If they'd been winning at a high level, we probably wouldn't have ever heard about the stuff behind the scenes. That or it wouldn't have become as big of a deal. People let winners slide by all the time.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
34 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

That is why I would not be surprised to see an up-and-coming G5 coach being named or someone like BOB.  Most of the P5 coaches being named have a good thing going where they are at - why leave - unless they have a problem wt the Admin - thinking of Lane Kiffin.   Yes, Nebraska has some upsides that many schools don't have but is it worth the stress & risk to their reputation of trying to resurrect an old program?    A younger G5 guy may want to prove himself and  there is no greater place than Nebraska to do this where at least he will have fan support hungry for a winner.  

If that is going to be the case I would go with Jeff Traylor or Deion Sanders before I go with a border coach. Jeff Traylor has the advantage of knowing Texas and could use the state for recruiting. Deion Sanders resonates with todays kids bc they know who he is.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, talaricohusker said:

I hate that Trev is going to pretend that morals matter with this hire. Urban and Kiffin can be had for the right price, but because of a foggy background they will be eliminated. I would like to ask Trev one on one over a beer, if you could land Urban Meyer or Lance Leipold who would you pick to coach your team. There is no way he could look me in the eye and say Leipold,  no matter how many beers he was slamming. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, huskerpower22 said:

I hate that Trev is going to pretend that morals matter with this hire. Urban and Kiffin can be had for the right price, but because of a foggy background they will be eliminated. I would like to ask Trev one on one over a beer, if you could land Urban Meyer or Lance Leipold who would you pick to coach your team. There is no way he could look me in the eye and say Leipold,  no matter how many beers he was slamming. 

He strikes me as a wine guy

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1

5 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've seen several reports that the players think it's Urban.  I just don't see him having any interest in coming here but it's kind of odd that it keeps showing up.

Makes sense that Urban would be willing to easily keep MJ on board as WR coach since he is probably not wanting to bring back Zach Smith in that role. 

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I've seen several reports that the players think it's Urban.  I just don't see him having any interest in coming here but it's kind of odd that it keeps showing up.

Urban commanded more $ than Trev wanted to spend . Trev moved onto Rhule. Turns out Trev couldn’t get Rhule for the bargain price he had hoped. Then Trev came to his senses and thought man if I’m gonna have to spend $15 million a year on a coach and assistants maybe I should just go back to my top choice. That’s what I’ll tell myself anyway. 

• Plus1 1

Gotta say, I find it interesting to say the least that after 9 weeks and countless hours of speculation, rumors, losing by less than 1 TD, etc.... I'm amazed that not only has the recruiting class remained intact it's actually grown. Someone knows something and it is very impressive that the secrets have remained so tight lipped. No way does the recruiting class hold and grow if the recruits are in the same fog the fans are in. My speculation is the forth coming coach is either a big name (Urban/Lane/Rhule) guy or it's MJ.. There's just no other way the class is held together for this long.

I also believe it's not MJ or he'd have already been promoted. I also don't believe it's either Meyer or Rhule as they are not coaching and therefore, could have been announced long ago. Kiffin therefore is the last man standing and to be honest, is my least hoped for of the bunch. Aranda and Prime Time are also still coaching and are dark horses as well but they don't seem to fit the bill. Yes there are others still coaching that might also fall into the "wait for the season's end" statistic but are they big enough names to keep "every" recruit committed? Hence the reason I believe the coaching hire is already signed. Just my two cents..

Amazed that our recruits have remain committed through it all.